Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 06:28 PM

Default KRK V6 - I\'m impressed....

I took a very close listen to these while at GC for over an hour this afternoon. A friend of mine needs new monitors and I went with him, both with about 3-4 CD's in hand, ready for the grueling task of sifting through nearly a dozen monitors. I heard the Events, the M-Audios, the Alesis M1mk2 (which are the ones I presently use) and finally, all the KRK's. What can I say, the KRK V6 was the best sounding set in that room. Never thought I would like them (don't know why that is) but I was truly, truly impressed with them.

I've been praising my Alesis Mk2's for a while now and listening to both sets back to back, the M1's bass was all flabby, wooly, and it hit me (hard) how much a scoop there is in the mid/high-mids. The V6 on the other hand, tight and controlled bottom end, extremely clear mid-range and well-defined highs that didn't pierce my ears like the Events.

F'course, I want nothing more than a pair of Dynaudio BM6A's, but I don't have a cushy $1500 waiting to be spent just yet, and at $700 for the V6, I'm almost wondering if perhaps it's time for an interim change. Again, it was my friend who needed monitors and he was sold on the V6, subsequently making me want a pair as well. You know how that goes, we've all been there at some point...
Old 08-21-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Re: KRK V6 - I\'m impressed....

my 2 cents...don't know about the KRKs ($700) but I just got the Genelec 8030As.($1000)... incredible! I went to B&H audio and listened to Mackie, Yamaha, Event, Dynaudio and Genelec(they didn't have KRK). The Dynaudio and Genelec were superior in my opinion....but the Genelecs were very close to the BM6As but basically half the price(approx). If you're going to spend $700 for the KRKs, if you can scrape up a little more $$$, check out the Genelecs.
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 08-21-2004, 09:17 PM

Interesting.

I'll go check them out, but I do hate the way those new Geny's look. They're like multimedia speakers on steroids! I'm sure I'll like the sound of them, but then I'll be looking at my credit card pondering the Dynaudios and calling it a day. You know that ol' "well at $700, why not go the extra bit and do $1k, then again, with that royalty check coming in late august, why not just push juuuust a smidgen more and get the BM6A's...."

I'll go to B&H on monday, I work close by.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:09 AM

Hey,

That's funny. Me and my studio partner had much the same experience that you described in your post and walked away with a pair of V6's. We were in a pinch after a power supply fried in one of his old Fostex PM-1's (yeek!) for a second time on a Saturday night with a band showing up the following afternoon for a mix session. We were at GC just after it opened on Sunday morning with a couple of hours to spare in hopes that we could find an affordable pair of monitors as a quick fix so as not to lose business. We had been planning to upgrade when we could afford to spend more and were disappointed that we were forced to make such a quick decision with a smaller budget than we'd hoped for. Both of us thought that the KRK's blew away the competition in their price range and we haven't looked back. I don't think that we'll upgrade again until we can really afford something nicer. It was difficult to make the transition so quickly for a mix session (headphones, and lots of A/B'ing!) but what started out looking like a disaster turned out to be a blessing. I'm impressed as well....
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 08-22-2004, 02:29 PM

What I'd really love to do is hear the BM6A's right up against the KRK V6's, though something tells me I would really "hear" where my extra $900 is going and subsequently, get the Visa card out....sigh.....
Old 08-22-2004, 03:05 PM

That is great news,, and congrats to your buddy...

But what is wierd I find is all the praise the Dynaudios seem to be getting on this thread. When I purchased my monitors money was NOT an issue, I could have got anything I wanted. I did A/B tests for hours in several different cities, and several different days, and several different places. I played it like a "championship" of elemination right?? so I eleminated monitors as another would win my approval from place to place. THEN at the final stage, I'm sitting in front of 2 pairs of monitors AND their (proper) Sub partner... It was Genelec against Dynaudio (and this was before Genelecs new line came out)(it was about 1 year and a half ago)-- Well I brought EVERYTHING with me that day, my good set of rested ears, alot of well known (how their suppose to sound) CD's, other top notch friends in the business (engineers, producers, and popular radio personal), and of coarse some of my own work on CD as well.. And after all was said and done I felt the Genelecs were better, and so did 2 of my other 3 friends.
Reason were MAINLY the Genelecs just really did NOTHING to the signal, they were the most flat, and honest. A true replication of what it going in.. The dyna's just seem to make the signal seem better/cooler than it really is/was... A little sharper on the high end.. Which is cool, and actually would make alot of people like them better, because it makes your sound sound better. BUT to me that would be a DISASTER !!! Because you wouldn't push yourself to make your music sound that good from the gate, because the monitors are making it sound that way. But the other way FORCES you to put that extra "gleem/gloss" on your music from the gate.... I actually would perfer monitors that made my music sound WORSE above BETTER for that same reason as well, then your music would accidentally sound awesome !!! BUT the ultimate is to sound not better or worse, but just honest, and flat.. AND that is what the Genelecs are to me (IMO) -- (the 1031A's with Sub partner 1092A)

I honestly don't know or can speak on the new line of Gene's though--
Old 08-22-2004, 04:01 PM

Interesting reply, and you make a vey valid point which many people overlook: speakers that just sound great don't matter, it's how they translate.

We have have a set of Genelec 1030A's at work. I can't speak of the 1031's, but I really don't like the 1030's, They seem very bright and very fatiguing after merely an hour of mixing at moderate volumes. When I go hear the Dyns again this week, I'll keep what you wrote in mind and pay closer attention.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2004, 04:24 PM

Wow,, Pk ,, really ?? The 1030's give you a response of that aye ?? Wow,,,,, thats the exact reason why I like the 1031's and NOT most other monitors..

Hey,, have you asked the people at the place these 1030's are at if they moved ANY of the settings on the back of the monitors. See you can boost the "treble", and control "Treble Tilt", (and bass as well).. Most people do this (idiots),,, where as I keep mine FLAT, FLAT AS CAN BE.... Except for "bass tilt" that one has to be adjusted to where you place your monitors in your room.
But it is a age ol lesson to LEAVE THE TREBLE settings off/alone.......

I would be interested to see if they have the "treble" boosted at your place of work (or where ever it is)....

Because Genelecs in general are known for there super flat, honest translations.. I just cant see how them ones (1030's) would be so different to the rest of their line... Ya Know ???

Let Me Know ---
Old 08-22-2004, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Wow,, Pk ,, really ?? The 1030's give you a response of that aye ?? Wow,,,,, thats the exact reason why I like the 1031's and NOT most other monitors..
Hmm...I wouldn't be surprised if the treble knobs are a bit boosted on the back, I'll look into that tomorrow. Either that, or I'm witnessing the reason why the 1031's are quite a jump in price (and most likely quality) from the 1030's.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:11 PM

Yeah, to be honest, I can't speak on the 1030's .. You could be right there..

But I did HEAR them before, I just never used them like I do my 1031's, and when I did hear them(the 1030's) they seemed to stand up to the great Genelec name and quality... (but I could be mistaken as well)....

Yeah, pk Hat, let me know about what you find out,, I am now very interested. I am almost sure they must have the trebles pumped up....