Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-14-2022, 10:12 AM

Default bluetooth in ear with Apollo I/O simultaneous comparative listening.

has anyone found a method or app or ...
that allows one to have Bluetooth In-Ears and Apollo I/O simultaneously hooked up?
Without a BT xmit in the headphone out of the Apollo.
I don't care about latency issue.
It's just for comparative listening.
BlackHole doesn't seem to.
I would think that BT is considered system audio and I have it included in my aggregate.
Alas no joy.
Other methods or ideas?

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."

Miles Davis
Old 01-14-2022, 10:22 AM

Default Re: bluetooth in ear with Apollo I/O simultaneous comparative listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
has anyone found a method or app or ...
that allows one to have Bluetooth In-Ears and Apollo I/O simultaneously hooked up?
Without a BT xmit in the headphone out of the Apollo.
I don't care about latency issue.
It's just for comparative listening.
BlackHole doesn't seem to.
I would think that BT is considered system audio and I have it included in my aggregate.
Alas no joy.
Other methods or ideas?
Download SonoBus. Plug-in for Pro Tools that transmits over network. Download the app on you phone and connect your BT headphones to the phone.

Then connect the app to the connection from the plug-in in Pro Tools.

Other users use Rogue Amoebas Loopback but this costs $$$ and is a bit of a pain to setup in my opinion.
SonoBus is free and easy to setup.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:14 AM

Default Re: bluetooth in ear with Apollo I/O simultaneous comparative listening.

thanks for that. seems like SonoBus is trying, but it never connects.
tried port forwarding, no dif.

Miles Davis
Old 01-14-2022, 11:40 AM

There are many ways to skin this cat.

An aggregate will work. Although I'd generally avoid an aggregate if you can. The aggregate just gives the DAW additional totally separate bluetooth device outputs, you need to use the DAW routing to send out those outputs as well as whatever it's sending to the Apollo.

You might consider a bluetooth hardware solution, e.g. maybe one of these to S/PDIF out. https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Transmit.../dp/B09J48ZPD4. A nice bluetooth Babel Fish box.

All depends on what you are trying to do, which earphones (e.g. are they iPods you want to listen to via iOS/macOS), how often you switch, do you have to physically unplug headphone plugs on the Apollo, who else needs to use this etc.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
thanks for that. seems like SonoBus is trying, but it never connects.
tried port forwarding, no dif.
shouldn't need port forwarding or need to anything in your router. Just click the "Connect" button and name a connection. Then on your phone or other device connect to the same name of the room you created. Make sure to make it a Private room.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:50 AM

Darryl, I've never gotten an Aggregate to work with AirPods. It just doesn't take. Unless there's something I'm missing, Pro Tools doesn't play out the AirPods "Output" even thought the pods are connected.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Darryl, I've never gotten an Aggregate to work with AirPods. It just doesn't take. Unless there's something I'm missing, Pro Tools doesn't play out the AirPods "Output" even thought the pods are connected.
Again to be clear I don't recommend aggregate I/O here. But I've certainly had aggregates working with lots of different earbuds, but to test I just aggregated my AirPod Pro with a RME Fireface UFX+ and used multi-output IO in Pro Tools to play out both separate headphone outputs on the UFX+ and the AirPods Pros. All on MacOS 11.6 in case that makes any difference. Make sure you are aggregating the AirPod output not the input (internal mic) like nobody would ever make that mistake *blush*.

But you are going to get all sorts of problems even on a good day. Like putting away the AirPods in their case and they will disconnect from the aggregate and bork Pro Tools or anything else using that aggregate. It's just not a good way to do it... Rogue Amoeba Loopback could help handle this and I just can't think of having a Mac without loopback installed (wish Apple had included that capability as standard). But here there are so many ways to choose. Sonobus should be a great way. If this was anything that others had to use, then I'd probably go for a bluetooth transmitter box.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:35 PM

"Like putting away the AirPods in their case and they will disconnect from the aggregate and bork Pro Tools or anything else using that aggregate."

Yep, this was probably the issue I was having. Kept hanging Pro Tools if the AirPods disconnect or reconnected.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:50 PM

aggregate never worked for me. Nor has Loopback.
SonoBus seems like a smart solution coz it's a plug.
I'll have to check my work.

Miles Davis
Old 01-14-2022, 03:22 PM

if you happen by again
attached is the error I get, on both the plug and the Android app.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 6.20.07 PM.png (13.5 KB, 0 views)

Miles Davis

Last edited by Fritz; 01-14-2022 at 04:15 PM.