Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2021, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Need good advice for an older setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No, PT10 requires Snow Leopard, as in Intel-only. PT has been Intel-only since 8.1.1 so highest you can install to that computer would be 8.0cs3 but your experience will be much better on 7.2.1 (Tiger) or 7.4.2 (first Leopard release, but if you can, skip Leopard altogether).
Hmmm, we'll see if my post in the TDM on Windows section brings any good advice on PC parts. Meanwhile, to hurdy gurdy, please PM me a price as it may help my decision moving forward

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-12-2021, 08:48 AM

Hi Dave PM'd you please keep in mind I'm open on this (just hoping to offset the cost of a Neve plugin I want to buy) thanks.

LB
Old 12-12-2021, 08:53 AM

Whatever you decide those G5 PPC PowerMacs are good. I bought the latest generation G5 (that had PCI-express) to get me through the previous transition, and in hindsight I must say it was one of the best decisions ever made.

But now, your biggest struggle is finding plugin installers that work in PPC. You may need a lot of help as it is already +15 year old system.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Whatever you decide those G5 PPC PowerMacs are good. I bought the latest generation G5 (that had PCI-express) to get me through the previous transition, and in hindsight I must say it was one of the best decisions ever made.

But now, your biggest struggle is finding plugin installers that work in PPC. You may need a lot of help as it is already +15 year old system.
Agree, the G5 PPCs were powerful machines for their time. The only issue was the fan noise. Those CPU’s generated a LOT of heat and the fans will rev up to insane levels when you push them.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:57 AM

Thanks to all for the education! And thanks to Len for the offer(which seems more than fair). I did order the battery for the G5 and if it boots up, then I will probably take Len up on his offer as it keeps my cost the lowest. Otherwise, given that a G5 stalls me at really old(vs pretty old) software, I am hoping for a way to do a Windows 7 PC if I can get solid advice on a good motherboard that can take the PCIx cards.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:04 PM

I can help you with normal software issues, but your biggest trouble will be finding 3rd party plugin installers
Old 12-13-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I can help you with normal software issues, but your biggest trouble will be finding 3rd party plugin installers
Appreciate that! That thought is what is pushing me towards a Win7 and PT10 setup as plugins will be easier to get. I'll report back when I have a firm plan, but right now, things are cast in jello...like my brain