Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-02-2021, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatements

K - I don't want to start a fight, but your boldened part shows to me that you still don't grasp the basic point. Let me try one last time.

If you don't update for 3 years, you don't have any new features. For 3 years. That's what those who DO update are getting for their money.

In year 4, you get all of these... IN YEAR FOUR. You don't retrospectively have them for the previous 3, because that would involve having a time machine. That's why your suggestion - not ad hominem because I'm criticizing your suggestion, not you as a person - is crackers. You're suggesting people should FULLY pay for something they never had. Paying a little more per year is one thing, paying the lot is not.

Anyway - Avid don't take your view, because they are offering it for just $100 more than current subscribers. They seem to see value in not punishing those who have left them, and enticing them back.

I'll leave it here, there's nothing on earth more boring than back-and-forths between two people on forums. People can take or leave what makes sense to them.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-02-2021, 09:02 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJGgS9wIJiI
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-02-2021, 09:04 AM

I agree with most here… However as a 21 year avid user I would think things would have gotten better but what I noticed painfully so is that once you get a functioning system You definitely want to leave it there
upgrading especially in the last year has broken other aspects and not brought a lot of use of features

So paying a subscription or a perpetual license fee and seeing this software not operating as advertised, Can be painful
It’s not a cheap fee… And just to reiterate anytime younger people ask me what’s a great daw to buy trying to explain this byzantine Protools thing can be weird and stupid
I suppose they only want “professionals” to come into their world… But let’s be honest its software sell as much as you can it’s not physical boxes
The more people use their platform the more that people will recommend the platform… But as I said 20 years in this I don’t have much to add we all just scratch around our little digital play pens hoping the thing works or doesn’t do something weird on any given day Especially if you have a deadline

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 12-02-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
K - I don't want to start a fight,
Then don't insult people. If you had started your post with "maybe you are missing this point ...." or "perhaps I'm not being clear" BUT Your opening statement was pure BS plain and simple

Quote:
but your boldened part shows to me that you still don't grasp the basic point. Let me try one last time.
If you don't update for 3 years, you don't have any new features. For 3 years. That's what those who DO update are getting for their money.

In year 4, you get all of these... IN YEAR FOUR. You don't retrospectively have them for the previous 3, because that would involve having a time machine. That's why your suggestion - not ad hominem because I'm criticizing your suggestion, not you as a person - is crackers. You're suggesting people should FULLY pay for something they never had.
I understood and understand your point I think it is you who do not grasp the basic point .....those opting out have voluntarily chosen to not have those new features or updates , and have monetarily benefited from opting out,,, But they should not be rewarded for their choosing to opt out and get back in, for less aggregate money than those staying in are paying.... Because it is in fact those staying in, that are helping fund those new features and upgrades and those opting out are not,,, plain and simple .......That's just the reality ..

Quote:
Anyway - Avid don't take your view, because they are offering it for just $100 more than current subscribers. They seem to see value in not punishing those who have left them, and enticing them back.
Your are totally speculating what Avid view is or isn't... Only time will show that. And "punishing" is only your subjective view of what is actually simply having them pay their fair share.
Obviously they are attempting to entice people back with this ONE TIME OFFER which in no way indicates if Avid "takes my view" or not, or what they will continue to do.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-02-2021 at 09:41 AM. Reason: fixed the quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:29 AM

Okay guys, time to cut it. Maybe you just agree to respectfully disagree. Everyone is entitled to opinions, but going to personal is not cool. Okay? Back to the point now.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:32 AM

Am I missing something? This sounds like the biggest no brainer in a long time. I buy this, let my plan lapse, then when Avid actually adds something of value to me, I reinstate.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Case View Post
Am I missing something? This sounds like the biggest no brainer in a long time. I buy this, let my plan lapse, then when Avid actually adds something of value to me, I reinstate.
Reinstatements are no more. This offer is called Get Current and seems to be one time deal, off the table after year changes.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Okay guys, time to cut it. Maybe you just agree to respectfully disagree. Everyone is entitled to opinions, but going to personal is not cool. Okay? Back to the point now.
Absolutely. And from my side, was trying to point out the poverty of the argument, so apologies if that ever came off as anything personal.

Meanwhile...

In Tom's case I think this makes total sense... if you're not current but pretty sure you'll need to upgrade in the future, then get it now and bank it.

In truth, I'd likely not have bought another year's support had this been an offer last week. Given that we don't know if this will ever happen again, I'll still consider it actually. I think it's been a couple of years since there was an update I thought was really useful - Track Presets I think it was. So after next year I could just wait until the next genuinely useful feature comes along. CLIP LIST FOLDERS!

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-02-2021, 10:47 AM

From Avid

How long will the 1-Year Upgrade with Software Updates + Support Plan be available?
1-year Upgrades will be available for purchase from Avid through December 31, 2021, but there is no deadline to activate the upgrade (i.e., a purchased 1-year Upgrade code can be applied in future)—1-Year Upgrades do not expire.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Reinstatements are no more. This offer is called Get Current and seems to be one time deal, off the table after year changes.
Well, it will be gone.. Until it's back!

It's definitely a good deal for anyone wanting to get current. On the other hand, it's interesting to see AVID make this move. I really think they're losing users fast. Anyone who decided to let their plan lapse a few years ago made a pretty wise decision. They're now rewarded with this deal.

Still, I won't take the bait, because of the reason mentioned earlier in this thread. The pace of innovation and (half-)added features just doesn't warrant an upgrade and its associated risks of other things breaking down again. As long as they don't even care to fix the most basic, broken-since-ages, MIDI functionalities, I couldn't care less.

Hey, wait a minute. Maybe I'll take this 'insurance' offer for when they finally get Pro Tools back on track!