Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2021, 11:25 AM

Default Can’t use TB-3 frustration... the search for an alternative

I’ve been researching interfaces and converters in attempts to find a low latency solution that does not use thunderbolt 3 as my computer is not compatible. However, my computer does have an open PCIe slot.

From what I’ve been able to find, using a PCIe AES/EBU like a Lynx AES16e ($699) would allow for TB3 speeds but would need to operate in conjunction with something like a Lynx Aurora (n) with 8 Analog I/O and AES Digital I/O ($3,099). This particular configuration would also require a few hundred dollars in proprietary cables. Bumping the grand total to somewhere in the $4k range.

I could do a lot with $4k... so I’m still looking for something a bit more palatable. I don’t mind splurging on a dedicated converter because I am not a fan of the planned obsolescence that comes along with prosumer interfaces but having an AMD CPU on a non-TB compatible MOBO has limited my high performance options and they all come with HEFTY price tags.

My main concerns are quality conversion for my outboard equipment, low latency when overdubbing and not being obsolete in the next decade. Hardware inserts are not a huge concern as I won’t be doing mixing outside of the box. I feel like this sort of negates the need for an HD system.

Lynx offers a USB 2.0 version of the Aurora (n) but I’ve spoken with their customer service and the AES16e PCIe would offer the closest performance to TB3. As mentioned about, there’s is an additional cost associated with the PCIe method, but I wonder if it would be cheaper to purchase a new TB-3 compatible Motherboard and Intel CPU, haha (as it is my understanding that my current AMD processor will not play well with Thunderbolt).

Just looking for some advice here. I don’t need a ton of I/O, 8 would be more than enough. I’d even considered the Lynx E44 as I have studio monitors with a digital in but that still leaves me with no headphone monitoring (there was also mention of some special attention needed from Lynx order to power the E44 via PCIe slot).
Old 12-26-2021, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Can’t use TB-3 frustration... the search for an alternative

What latency do you need? What other IO/capabilities?

RME is king of the hill with PCIe card to MADI etc. options. And even their USB interfaces are efficient and pretty low latency.

IIRC the Fireface UFX+ (which I own and use via USB 3) may have lower latency on USB than Thunderbolt 3.

And it does not matter what the converter latency is... unless you can get the IO buffer size low enough to matter... and that is where most struggles are, the interface technology and (very much the) quality of drivers can help there but that's not the full story. Make sure you are not fixating on one thing here.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-26-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What latency do you need? What other IO/capabilities?

RME is king of the hill with PCIe card to MADI etc. options. And even their USB interfaces are efficient and pretty low latency.

IIRC the Fireface UFX+ (which I own and use via USB 3) may have lower latency on USB than Thunderbolt 3.
To elaborate, I am tracking/overdubbing everything myself - drums, bass, guitar, vocals - which is why I am opting for the lowest latency possible. I don’t require any special I/O capabilities. I need about 8 line inputs (4 for drums, bass, guitar, vocal). My goal is to have everything thing mic’d up and going through my pre/eqs or channel strips. I want to be able to arm a track, pick up an instrument and hit record.

I wish USB-C (3.0) was utilized more. It seems like the UFX+ is one of the few units that takes advantage of it. Not surprising given its RME and their reputation for support/drivers.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:15 PM

RME Fireface UFX+ would exactly be my first choice. But I'm biased. Lot more expansion than you are asking for (but I'd never buy an interface without at least ADAT/SMUX In... just gives a lot of flexibility) , but sure better value/money than Lynx. Look at the rest of their range, folks are pretty good about publishing RME RTL numbers if you go looking I expect you'll find. And I would not faff around with PCIe cards unless there was a very good reason. But again.. what IO Buffer size are you able to reliably track at today with whatever interface you have? Is your computer super-well optimized and actually likely to deliver?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-26-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:28 PM

Also a fan of RME, but I'm not convinced the interface connection is going to be the deciding factor. Having a computer with enough power to run as many tracks as you need at a 64 buffer is likely to be the important bit. Having said that, most any modern computer should do if it fits the recommended specs. Quad or 6 core cpu running at over 3GHz, 32GB of RAM(16 may be fine if you don't use a lot of instrument plugins) and a fast recording drive(most any SSD on SATA will do fine). If your computer doesn't fit these specs, give us details

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-26-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
RME Fireface UFX+ would exactly be my first choice. But I'm biased. Lot more expansion than you are asking more, but sure better value/money than Lynx. Look at the rest of their range, folks are pretty good about publishing RME RTL numbers if you go looking I expect you'll find. And I would not faff around with PCIe cards unless there was a very good reason. But again.. what IO Buffer size are you able to reliably track at today with whatever interface you have? Is your computer super-well optimized and actually likely to deliver?
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
RAM: 32 GB DDR4-3600 CL18
MOBO: ASUS TUF x570-Plus
SSHD: Samsung 980 PRO 2TB M.2 NVMe

I think it can hang.

Last edited by pi-town; 12-26-2021 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-26-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi-town View Post
CPU: Ryzen 9 x5900
MOBO: ASUS TUF x570-Plus
SSHD: Samsung 980 PRO 2TB M.2 NVMe

I think it can hang.
Nice. But you think and you don't know? What Pro Tools IO buffer size can you actually run at? With your real sessions, real plugins you want to use etc. (and you might work on improving that by freezing stuff etc.)

You got good performance memory, on the ASUS HQL? Have optimized absolutely everything you can? You measured the systems with LatencyMon?

Do not make this about one thing, don't fixate on interface latency claims/RTL etc.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Nice. But you think and you don't know? What Pro Tools IO buffer size can you actually run at? With your real sessions, real plugins you want to use etc. (and you might work on improving that freezing stuff etc.)

You got good performance memory, on the ASUS HQL? Have optimized absolutely everything you can? You measured the systems with LatencyMon?

Do not make this about one thing, don't fixate on interface latency claims/RTL etc.
I’ll have to do some research/measurements/optimization. This rig is powerful because it was originally built to run PC games. Had I known about TB-3 compatibility, I would have been more selective in choosing a motherboard/cpu.

I understand what you are saying about not making this about one thing.

I’m just trying to make an informed decision. I appreciate all the help.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:47 PM

A gamer PC is not necessarily a good DAW workstation, that's burnt folks in the past. Issues may be less with modern PCs, but it is one reason why building a PC to a know good Pro Tools DAW config is a good idea and why we have super-threads here like this: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426
Old 12-26-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
A gamer PC is not necessarily a good DAW workstation, that's burnt folks in the past. Issues may be less with modern PCs, but it is one reason why building a PC to a know good Pro Tools DAW config is a good idea and why we have super-threads here like this: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426
Respectfully, my PC is being used for more than one purpose and my goal in coming to this forum was to find suggestions for something that works with the connections I have available (PCIe & USB-C). Not a build guide for another PC that can pass the D-verb test.