Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-31-2003, 05:39 PM

Default Anyone Using Kontakt With Pro Tools?

I've been seriously considering going over to this program, I currently use Giga which is fine, but I'd like to stay all Mac.

I downloaded the demo and managed to get it up and running, but it was pretty flaky. Weird screen redraws, and many freezes and restarts in Pro Tools. Just going to another midi track and assigning it to ch 2 then hitting a note caused the whole screen to freeze.

Is this just bugginess in the demo or is this thing pretty unstable with PT? Any feedback, including sample translation from GIGA format info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah...and I noticed in the SAMPLE RATE window of Kontakt there was no choice for 48K...all my sessions are at 48K...will this make difference??
Old 01-31-2003, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Anyone Using Kontakt With Pro Tools?

I use Kontakt everyday and I beleive its an excellent sampler. I cant explain teh strange behaviour you seem to be getting although that is what happens if there is a problem with Direct Connect. Make sure you have the proper stream manager and the latest Direct Connect plug.

The only thing not good is the slight latency inherent with all Direct Connect plugs. I also use it via the EBS TDM bridge in Logic (so it rund like a vST) and its so much smoother.

Once you get in to the sampler its a very powerful toll in your arsenal. Some others in this board are talking about the Motu sampler and how wonderful its going to be???. How can they when no one has heard it. Kontakt is by far the best option for an ex Giga user. IMO, I cant understand why folks still use Giga, there really are better options out there (Like Kontakt). I couldnt be bothered having a second sampler in another computer.

Kontakt has just been updated with the Direct disk streaming which is totally cool and was a very welcomed and much needed addition.

You cant go wrong with Kontakt and the 4gb sounds supplied are pretty decent allround.

Dont be put off by the strange behaviour you get just now. That is not the norm. Kontakt and Pro tools runs very smoothly together.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:24 PM

As for the 48khz. It shouldnt make any difference (but you should contact NI support first)

kontakt can play any bit rate regardless of the session bit rate in Pro tools (very useful) and I presume working at 48khz shouldnt be a prob.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:32 PM

Hey thanks....all good news.

Yes, I think the MOTU thing looks interesting. I do like the idea that it's a plug in and no direct connect is involved. I suppose we'll see.

Right now, Kontakt has a crossgrade offer for ex Giga users and I may take them up on it. It does seem like a very cool tool. I hope the manual is good

Thanks again...
Old 01-31-2003, 11:02 PM

Use Kontakt for some sound design. Get the 1.2 update to read files direct from disk. Works fine now without any problem.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tonefloat:
Use Kontakt for some sound design. Get the 1.2 update to read files direct from disk. Works fine now without any problem.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OK here's a dumb question...If I have Kontakt on the Mac, how do I get CDs meant for the PC with Giga sounds on them into the Mac for KONTAKT to import/convert?
Old 01-31-2003, 11:14 PM

Sorry to rain on the parade but Kontakt for PT HD is bugg as hell with regards to the missing links in HD...FWIW, YMMV
regards
Janne A.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:18 PM

Sorry to rain on the parade but Kontakt for PT HD is buggy with regards to the missing DC links in HD...FWIW, YMMV
regards
Janne A.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:59 AM

Seems to me that Motu Mach Five has all we need. Also it's a plugin so setups are saved within the PT session and latency should be really nothing compared to DirectConnect. What else can we desire ???
Old 02-01-2003, 03:58 AM

I would not agree to everything here.

first, yes I do agree that kontakt in general is a great sampler. I like the Guy, the structure, everything.

But I think that with PT (at least PT HD it is not the best option and here is wy many are speaking about the Motu sampler)

-With PT HD I have not been able to get a normal performance with the 128_Streammanager (this has been officially approoved by Digi). With the 512_Sm I think everyone agrees that the latency introduces (over 20 ms) is not anymore acceptable.

-Kontakt only comes as VST and Standalone. It later might come as RTAS / HDTM, but then you have to pay again (if they do as with some other instruments they made). The motu comes for every format. It's no question that a plugin is easier to work with, because everything is saved with the PT session, and you can automate parameters.

Import of foreign samplelibries: I could be wrong and maybe this has been updadet in Kontakt, but in my version you have to import sound by sound. You can not import (convert) a complete CD (batch processing).

I think those are the reason why many people are hoping on the Moto Mach5. Native I believe was never so much into the support of Protools. Their PT' Version's or their stuff always came later than their VST/Direct Connect Stuff, and you always had to get it separatly. (And first the RTAS / HTDM Stuff was even about 30% more expensive).

My thoughs
daniel