Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-02-2010, 02:10 PM

Default Screen Flickers with Pro Tools 8.4 & Melodyne Editor running

Hey Guys

I have made a post before about Melodyne Editor crashing my system. I had a client in the studio today, and started using Melodyne editor (latest version) and my computer had a kernal panic, so had to switch off and on again, thankfully I save my work as I go along.

Then I switched my mac pro back on again, and instead of a kernal panic, my second computer screen starts flickering, and then I get a Purple tint on my second screen but not on my first one.

What the hell is going on? If I contact digi support about this, it takes them like a week to get back to me via e-mail plus it's a weekend and I'm running a business and don't see why they should charge me £1 a minute for their support line, when I have already paid out thousands like the rest of us for the equipment which should work!

My work around for the moment is to switch back to the old Melodyne Plugin, as my system runs stable with that installed.

When I last spoke to digi support UK, they told me that it could possibly be the Focusrite Liquid Mix plug which is interfering with the set-up, however, if this is the case, then it doesn't cause any issues when running alongside melodyne plugin at all. They also thought it could be Izotope Ozone 4, but I very much doubt it as it again runs fine along side melodyne plugin.

If anyone has any ideas which I could try then I would be grateful.

What could the screen flickering be to do with and the tint on the screen tuning different colours?

I thank you for reading this
Old 10-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Screen Flickers with Pro Tools 8.4 & Melodyne Editor running

It almost sounds like a video hardware issue versus Pro Tools or Melodyne. The first thing I would try is swapping the monitor cables and see if the problem moves. If it does, you have either a bad monitor, cable, or video card.

I have also seen LCD monitors go screwy, and powering on/off the monitor itself sometimes does the trick.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Yes good point, and that's what I did, I changed them around and switched on and off to see if it would sort the problem out but it hasn't. However, If I switch back to the old version of Melodyne Plugin, I do not get any issues what so ever.

I'm just not gonna use editor until they issue another update out, because I know it's bringing my system to it knees and I have no idea why?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Celemony is supposed to be releasing an update to Melodyne Editor pretty soon, so hopefully that will take care of your problem.

Good luck -

Bill
Old 10-08-2010, 02:16 PM

I just upgraded to Melodyne Editor earlier this week and have been using it on my 2 LE rigs. I haven't had any graphical issues with it, but it does seem to need to be removed/re-instated every so often or else it causes CPU overload errors.

How much RAM do you have in your rig? Also, do you have Melodyne's preferences set to use a good fast disk for it's scratch/importing of files?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Hi there

I'm running 4GB DDR 2 ram, and I think you hi the nail on the head as I discovered the other day when I had a client in the studio.

I think it's the hard disk I am using. I transfered a whole pro tools project to a different hard drive, and suddenly I have no issues with Melodyne Plugin when recording tracks back on to a track via a bus, as before I was getting lots of pops and clicks.

So I am now hoping that using the new HDD I have installed with Melodyne Editor will solve the problem = ]

I will let you know the outcome shortly.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 PM

Hi

OK, so, I have worked out what the screen flickering was. It was a simple monitor cable. Thing is, it always changed colour the screen and flickered when I ran Melodyne Editor, however I think I have sorted that problem out.

The crashing is still not sorted out though when running Melodyne Editor. I just attempted to run it again, and got an Instant Kernal Panic which tells me there are obviously loads of bugs in the new version still! However when I run Melodyne Plugin, I believe I have hardly any issues at all, so I am just gonna use Melodyne Plugin until a new update comes out to sort this Editor crashing Kernal Panic issue out.

If anyone else has had issues with Melodyne Editor in Pro Tools, please let me know. I would be interested to see if we have similar configs or plugins installed.

Many thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
I just upgraded to Melodyne Editor earlier this week and have been using it on my 2 LE rigs. I haven't had any graphical issues with it, but it does seem to need to be removed/re-instated every so often or else it causes CPU overload errors.

How much RAM do you have in your rig? Also, do you have Melodyne's preferences set to use a good fast disk for it's scratch/importing of files?
Try reducing the number of processors dedicated to RTAS in the Playback Engine, which should help...
Old 10-28-2010, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Unpredictable Kernal Panics with Pro Tools 8.4 - Really need help desperately

Hi there

Ok an update to the situation. I tried lowering the amount of processors used, and it made no difference.

I put brand new ram in my mac pro early 2008 xeon 5400 series. I put 16GB of Kingston ram in.

I installed the latest version of Melodyne Editor on my system and despite the ram upgrade and using a different internal hard drive which is brand new, I am still getting Kernal Panics.

What the hell is going on?

I havre a serious client in the studio tomorrow and need this fixed by then, and I get a terrible feeling it isn't going to sort itself :/

I have e-mailed digidesign, and i'm hoping they will be able to help me, but in the mean time if anyone has any suggestions, please do suggest.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:00 PM

What happens if you pull out all your 3rd party plug-ins except Melodyne?

Did you install the new v1.2 Melodyne update?

I still can't reproduce this on any of the 3 machines I use Melodyne on (2 PTLE and 1 PT|HD), so it's got to be something specific to your setup, just a matter of narrowing down the culprit.