Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-15-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Quantizing Live drums in 7.4. A Step by Step guide.

Right, i've been playing around with this & i think i've got the basics figured:

This is really a breakdown of what Steve MacMillan has already mentioned in another thread, but with imho the fairly vital addition of 'Step 9'

For the sake of this example, i'm only going to use the Kick & snare as 'warp' points, but there is nothing to stop you adding toms, hats etc, if it's deemed necessary.

Prob. best to separate out a 4 bar chunk of drums to practice on, then when you're up to speed, get more ambitious

Step 1. Create a group containing all your drum tracks. Set the 'warp properties' to Rhythmic. De-select this group

Step 2. Create a drum group containing everything *other* than your kick & snare track track. De-select this group.

Step 3. Select your kick region.
Step 4: Choose 'Analysis view' for the track.
Step 5: Bring up your 'Elastic properties window' (Alt 5). You can leave this window open.
Step 6: Bring the event sensitivity down a little, but not so much that 'hit points' start disappearing from kicks.
Step 7: Option Click any 'extra hit points' that protools has generated my mistake to remove them

Step 8: Repeat steps 3-7 but with your snare region. This should leave you with *just* the kick & snare track analyzed.

Step 9. Select your 'Everything but the kick & snare' drum group, & click '0' in the event sensitivity box, in your (still open) elastic properties window. This makes sure that the remainder of your drum tracks contain *no* warp points. This is the vital step !

Step 10. Select your whole drum-kit group.

Step 11. Bring up your quantize window (Alt 0), & your good to quantize your drum kit, keeping all tracks in phase.

I've been having quite a bit of luck with this method, but i will say that:

* The 'event sensitivity' control is v.poor. Maybe there is a way of using beat detective to generate the warp/hit points? Certainly it's analysis is much, much better
* It's still best to make sure that the first beat that is analysed , is ' to the right of the Bar line' , or else you can run into problems
* I'm not 100% convinced about the actual sound quality yet of the warping, but maybe with a bit more tweaking i will be..

ru x

Please pitch in & tell me if you are doing this a better &/or quicker way

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Quantizing Live drums in 7.4. A Step by Step guide.

Quote:
Right, i've been playing around with this & i think i've got the basics figured:

This is really a breakdown of what Steve MacMillan has already mentioned in another thread, but with imho the fairly vital addition of 'Step 9'

For the sake of this example, i'm only going to use the Kick & snare as 'warp' points, but there is nothing to stop you adding toms, hats etc, if it's deemed necessary.

Prob. best to separate out a 4 bar chunk of drums to practice on, then when you're up to speed, get more ambitious

Step 1. Create a group containing all your drum tracks. Set the 'warp properties' to Rhythmic. De-select this group

Step 2. Create a drum group containing everything *other* than your kick & snare track track. De-select this group.

Step 3. Select your kick region.
Step 4: Choose 'Analysis view' for the track.
Step 5: Bring up your 'Elastic properties window' (Alt 5). You can leave this window open.
Step 6: Bring the event sensitivity down a little, but not so much that 'hit points' start disappearing from kicks.
Step 7: Option Click any 'extra hit points' that protools has generated my mistake to remove them

Step 8: Repeat steps 3-7 but with your snare region. This should leave you with *just* the kick & snare track analyzed.

Step 9. Select your 'Everything but the kick & snare' drum group, & click '0' in the event sensitivity box, in your (still open) elastic properties window. This makes sure that the remainder of your drum tracks contain *no* warp points. This is the vital step !

Step 10. Select your whole drum-kit group.

Step 11. Bring up your quantize window (Alt 0), & your good to quantize your drum kit, keeping all tracks in phase.

* The 'event sensitivity' control is v.poor. Maybe there is a way of using beat detective to generate the warp/hit points? Certainly it's analysis is much, much better
* It's still best to make sure that the first beat that is analysed , is ' to the right of the Bar line' , or else you can run into problems
* I'm not 100% convinced about the actual sound quality yet of the warping, but maybe with a bit more tweaking i will be..

ru x

Please pitch in & tell me if you are doing this a better &/or quicker way

Couldnt get this to work.Followed steps exactly I think. After step 10 I was left with Kick and Snare with analysis markers and every thing else with none,All Drums grouped I hit quantize.Kick and snare snap to the beat but noting else moves as there are no analysis or warp markers.Result
overheads flamming inconsistantly with snare as they had not been moved.Am I missing something?
The way I do it is to do Group Drums turn Rhythmic on all tracks.Adjust sensitivity for tracks individually.If analysis markers are off transients turn Group off and fix, Turn group on and quantize,seems to work.
What I dont understand about your method is how tracks with no analysis markers move

Denis

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:

If you delete all the auto created analysis markers out of the drum group, you don't need to do this. Either way it accomplishes the same thing. Once deleted, the analysis markers stay gone no matter what you do with the Elastic Properties window until you hit reset. Before deleting markers, be sure the Event Sensitivity is up to 100% or you might miss some.

Quote:
Couldnt get this to work.Followed steps exactly I think. After step 10 I was left with Kick and Snare with analysis markers and every thing else with none,All Drums grouped I hit quantize.Kick and snare snap to the beat but noting else moves as there are no analysis or warp markers.Result
overheads flamming inconsistantly with snare as they had not been moved.Am I missing something?
Are you sure the all drums group is on? I'm guessing that the group for the entire kit was disabled. This will need to be on for the warp markers to be made across the whole group. Its not enough just to select all of the regions in the group.

STeve
Old 11-17-2007, 03:17 PM

basic question - do you have to switch from analysis to warp before you quantize (following the other steps) it wasn't listed in the steps?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
basic question - do you have to switch from analysis to warp before you quantize (following the other steps) it wasn't listed in the steps?
..no, i wondered that myself, but it deosn't seem so in this case

x

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 11-18-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Its not necessary to be viewing warp markers, but it helps you see that its working correctly.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:59 AM

Am I the only one thinking this was NOT meant to be a Beat Detective replacement?

Still on 7.3 BTW.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:25 PM

I agree kenny - seems to be aimed more at loop lovers
Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 PM

I think you missed something.
at step 10 you turn on your full drum group, select the 4 bars you are working on and bring the event sensivity back up to 100, otherwise it says * there and doesn't put those markers on the other tracks.

edit: nah, still can't get it to work
Old 11-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Avid

Quote:

Not so, on paper. Analysis code used for EA is derivative of same code as BeatD. BeatD has different applications via its controls. Why is it "poor"? Please explain the problem(s) as you see it.

Thanks,

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."