Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 12-15-2021, 02:16 AM
darkwavo darkwavo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Amsterdam , Netherlands
Posts: 89
Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hopefully we see progress in early 2022. Apple just updated Monterey to 12.1 version and it seems to have fixed the memory leak problems. Too early to confirm, but if that is the case, then Avid has something to build on. So I would expect Apple Silicon native PT software (and plugins) within the first quarter. But it is just an educated guess, nothing more. Hang in there!
Thanks for the update.
Anyone have a workaround suggestion for mixes in progress that have the 304c / Fairchild plugs in use.
I’m using them on busses, what’s the best way to commit these sounds on my Big Sur/ laptop rig so I can keep working on my new iMac/Monterey rig ?

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-16-2021, 03:12 PM
darkwavo darkwavo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Amsterdam , Netherlands
Posts: 89
Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Thanks for the update.
Anyone have a workaround suggestion for mixes in progress that have the 304c / Fairchild plugs in use.
I’m using them on busses, what’s the best way to commit these sounds on my Big Sur/ laptop rig so I can keep working on my new iMac/Monterey rig ?

Thank you all!
Any suggestions ?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-17-2021, 05:59 AM
darkwavo darkwavo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Amsterdam , Netherlands
Posts: 89
Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Hey all.

Beside the incompatible plug-in issue….
I’m noticing that my Carbon disconnects from the iMac everytime it falls asleep.
Like when I’m listening to mixes or Apple Music and using the Carbon as core audio interface…
It will still show up the audio/midi menu and Sound menu in preferences…. But the only way to make it play audio is to restart the iMac . It happens way too often.

Does someone have the link to the recommended setup for Apple computer.. I think there’s an option for switching off sleep mode…And some other suggested settings…

Thanks !
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-19-2021, 02:16 AM
darkwavo darkwavo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Amsterdam , Netherlands
Posts: 89
Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Nobody?

I found this setup page for Catalina … is there also one for Monterey?

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Optimize-10-15

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-19-2021, 03:19 AM
Ben Jenssen's Avatar
Ben Jenssen Ben Jenssen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oslo
Posts: 4,163
Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Here is the link on "Help us help you" page:
Computer Optimization and Troubleshooting Guides
Tips for MacOS up to bigsur but nothing for monterey.
__________________
Life-long audio enthusiast and small studio owner. Retired.
Mac Mini 2018, six-core 3.2gHz i7, 32 gb RAM.
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Dynaudio BM6's, Command|8, SSL UC1.
Pro Tools 2020.11.0.157, Mac OS 10.15.7.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 12-19-2021, 05:28 AM
dominicperry dominicperry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 334
Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Nobody?

I found this setup page for Catalina … is there also one for Monterey?

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Optimize-10-15

Thanks
Monterey is not qualified by Avid. It is not supported by Avid.
Don't use Monterey with PT unless you have to - i.e. if you have an M1 Pro or M1 Max chip.

As far as Avid optimisations go, there's a lot of nonsense buried in amongst the sensible stuff.

For example - you are told to turn WiFi off. Well, if you use iLok cloud, how will that work with WiFi off? But you are also told to turn WiFi on if you are recording sessions of over 33 minutes (or some such weird condition) because otherwise the session will stop recording. It's all rubbish. Having WiFi on is fine, unless your machine starts sending or receiving lots of data - updates, background sync etc.

[EDIT: It looks like they've dropped this one, finally]. {{Likewise, the advice is still to use an external "session" drive. As discussed elsewhere, on a modern machine this is completely unnecessary and can create more problems that it solves - and performance (total number of tracks etc.) can be worse with an external session drive.}}

There is one thing which has remained constant though, and that's power settings. Set your Mac to "never sleep" or equivalent. PT will go completely to pieces if your Mac sleeps while it's open.

Carbon disconnecting when your machine sleeps is not surprising, but you may also find you are suffering from the random Carbon disconnects which have plagued some systems. There are "fixes" for this in various versions of Big Sur and updates to PT. However, you should start with setting your Mac to "never sleep" and see if that fixes the proble. The "never sleep" settings used to be called 'Energy Saver' but are called 'Battery' in Monterey. Turn off "Put Hard disks to sleep when possible". Turn on "Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off". Do it for both power adapter and battery settings. Make sure there is no power on/off schedule set. Turn off power nap.

Be aware that on Monterey, with an external monitor connected and the laptop in clamshell mode (internal screen closed), even with all the right settings, the Mac will still sleep. This is a bug which has no fix, even hacking around in Terminal with pmset and caffeinate. Ask me how I know.....

Another requirement from Avid is to turn off filevault. I'm ignoring this one. I'm assuming ultimate disk performance will be better with filevault off but it's so fast anyway that I don't care. It may have been sensible 10 years ago but it isn't now.

Disabling automatic updates is a good and sensible thing - you should definetely disable automatic OS updates, you really want to be able to choose exactly which ones of those you install - but also automatic updates of other applications - Microsoft Office and Google applications have their own updaters which are irritating and hard to turn off, but possible. Others are worse - dropbox has NO option to turn off automatic updates. AntiVirus software is often the same. This is theoretically why turning WiFi off can help, but often the applications which are auto updating get upset if they can't update and stuff the machine anyway. It's better to unload them before running a session, or don't install them at all.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 12-19-2021 at 05:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-19-2021, 05:43 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 22,948
Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

I have always WiFi off but use gigabit ethernet for internet. Also have gigabit fiber connection, which is also why I keep WiFi off (cannot get full speed).
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-19-2021, 06:00 AM
dominicperry dominicperry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 334
Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I have always WiFi off but use gigabit ethernet for internet. Also have gigabit fiber connection, which is also why I keep WiFi off (cannot get full speed).
Sure, but you have a machine with wired Ethernet as an option.
WiFi cards and drivers used to have problems with inetrrupting CPU operations. Not really any more.
As an aside, Gb internet is still unusual. Most of the UK is on 2 - 100 Mbs. Many parts of the US are far worse.

Dominic
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 12-19-2021, 06:02 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 22,948
Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Sure, but you have a machine with wired Ethernet as an option.
WiFi cards and drivers used to have problems with inetrrupting CPU operations. Not really any more.
As an aside, Gb internet is still unusual. Most of the UK is on 2 - 100 Mbs. Many parts of the US are far worse.
I know. And to say I pay 5eur monthly for mine feels like soon I am going to get bucketful of stuff on my neck..
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 12-20-2021, 01:47 PM
darkwavo darkwavo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Amsterdam , Netherlands
Posts: 89
Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Monterey is not qualified by Avid. It is not supported by Avid.
Don't use Monterey with PT unless you have to - i.e. if you have an M1 Pro or M1 Max chip.

As far as Avid optimisations go, there's a lot of nonsense buried in amongst the sensible stuff.

For example - you are told to turn WiFi off. Well, if you use iLok cloud, how will that work with WiFi off? But you are also told to turn WiFi on if you are recording sessions of over 33 minutes (or some such weird condition) because otherwise the session will stop recording. It's all rubbish. Having WiFi on is fine, unless your machine starts sending or receiving lots of data - updates, background sync etc.

[EDIT: It looks like they've dropped this one, finally]. {{Likewise, the advice is still to use an external "session" drive. As discussed elsewhere, on a modern machine this is completely unnecessary and can create more problems that it solves - and performance (total number of tracks etc.) can be worse with an external session drive.}}

There is one thing which has remained constant though, and that's power settings. Set your Mac to "never sleep" or equivalent. PT will go completely to pieces if your Mac sleeps while it's open.

Carbon disconnecting when your machine sleeps is not surprising, but you may also find you are suffering from the random Carbon disconnects which have plagued some systems. There are "fixes" for this in various versions of Big Sur and updates to PT. However, you should start with setting your Mac to "never sleep" and see if that fixes the proble. The "never sleep" settings used to be called 'Energy Saver' but are called 'Battery' in Monterey. Turn off "Put Hard disks to sleep when possible". Turn on "Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off". Do it for both power adapter and battery settings. Make sure there is no power on/off schedule set. Turn off power nap.

Be aware that on Monterey, with an external monitor connected and the laptop in clamshell mode (internal screen closed), even with all the right settings, the Mac will still sleep. This is a bug which has no fix, even hacking around in Terminal with pmset and caffeinate. Ask me how I know.....

Another requirement from Avid is to turn off filevault. I'm ignoring this one. I'm assuming ultimate disk performance will be better with filevault off but it's so fast anyway that I don't care. It may have been sensible 10 years ago but it isn't now.

Disabling automatic updates is a good and sensible thing - you should definetely disable automatic OS updates, you really want to be able to choose exactly which ones of those you install - but also automatic updates of other applications - Microsoft Office and Google applications have their own updaters which are irritating and hard to turn off, but possible. Others are worse - dropbox has NO option to turn off automatic updates. AntiVirus software is often the same. This is theoretically why turning WiFi off can help, but often the applications which are auto updating get upset if they can't update and stuff the machine anyway. It's better to unload them before running a session, or don't install them at all.

Dominic
Thanks for the expert suggestions.
Yesterday I optimized according to the guidelines. Kept Wi-Fi on, and also the other settings you’ve mentioned. All is working great. Now I’m only missing some incompatible plugins… but I’m using fewer and fewer plugs (almost none) the deeper I get into this fresh batch of recordings..
Appreciate the detailed responses.
Thanks y’all!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M1 mini vs Intel Mini analog orange Pro Tools 2020 6 01-15-2021 08:50 PM
Mac Mini or I3 Intel PC For LE 8 in the UK devineandrew 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 4 10-22-2010 01:55 AM
new (intel) mac mini with PT LE 7.4 j77swift58 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 05-22-2009 04:43 PM
Any Mbox2 Mini/MAC Mini Intel Users? Need help with Reason Mbox2digi 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 3 07-31-2007 08:37 AM
Anybody using PT 7.x on a Intel Mac Mini 1.83 gHz? ericfergus 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 0 01-29-2007 09:55 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com