Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Hard Drive Is Causing Audible Clicks

Howdy folks. This is my first visit and post here, so I hope I'm not committing the worst newbie-like sin of asking a stupid question, or one you've all seen many times. I did search the archives and found nothing. Here is my problem. I'm hearing clicks during playback that are most likely caused by my hard drive. I believe this is the cause because the clicks' timing coincides directly with the drive's flashing LED. I run a Digi 002R (6.7r2) on a G4 QS running OS X 10.3.5. The drive is a new Fantom Drive 80G Firewire and has been working without mounting or other problems that I'm aware of. This is the first firewire drive I've used with my system, so I don't have the benefit of comparitive experience. The clicks are not loud enough to cause me any concern about my monitors, none the less, they are annoying, especially when I want the playback rather loud.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Hard Drive Is Causing Audible Clicks

you have ruled out MIDI CLICK ?

the only thing i have heard like this was a sync problem between ADAT 16bit & PT @ 24 bit.

I would install on your main HD

oh.....never be afraid to ask anything........when in doubt just preface like you did.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Avid

Hi,

Are the clicks eminating from the drive enclosure or do you hear them through the 002R's monitor outputs?

If it is the drive, you should be able to boot the system without the firewire drive on and create a new test session on your internal drive to see if the clicks persist.

Regards,

Digidesign Technical Support
Old 03-17-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Hey Digi Tek guy

Why does MIDI always seem to miss the first note on the [IN] marker ?

Imagine a basic bass drum 1/8 notes [I]_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _[O]

mine ALWAYS ends up [I] _ _ _ _ _ _ _[O]

im assuming that i might be triggering it a hair before so its not RECorded

but all my other MIDI stuff never has this problem.

also......can IN---OUT points be set that STAY until i move them.....do you guys realize how frustrating
it is to keep assigning them, i hit FF or RW and BOOM.....it changes. Most of us work 4 or 8 measures at a time
and spend time there and its rediculous to keep setting up i-o.

it has forced me to use my old sequencer......that seems silly to me, if there is a fix please tell me,
if not try to address that in future upgrades.

thankyou
[email protected]
Old 03-17-2005, 01:51 PM

Are the clicks eminating from the drive enclosure or do you hear them through the 002R's monitor outputs?

The clicks are coming through the monitor outs and are audible through the monitors. I've booted without mounting the firewire drive and opened a couple test sessions I created and saved on my internal hd. No clicks when playing them back. I also copied from the firewire drive to the internal drive a rather large session (and associated files) created on a TDM system. The clicks are only present when playing back sessions whose files are on the firewire drive.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:31 PM

It can happen if you hook your drive to the extra firewire port on the 002. You wouldn't be doing that would ya. Just checking....

randy
Old 03-18-2005, 03:15 AM

from my previous experience of just this kind of noise, it turned out to be a faulyt 911 chip in the drive enclosure. If this is the case (no pun intended !), you can keep the drive itself and put in a new enclosure - Granite Digital for example.
Apparently, FW drives powered by a wall-wart psu are particularly prone to chipset problems -to do with the way they are not "grounded" in the same way as a regular internal psu.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock