Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-27-2021, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Looking for recommendations for SSD drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundartsonline View Post
...I've been "running out of resources" in Protools 11 due to plugins enabled...
Yep, Samsung SSD's are great.

However, the above part of your comment is more about running out of CPU juice. Upgrading to an SSD (& also adding RAM) will help system performance overall, but it won't make the CPU any stronger. Try a higher buffer size? AudioSuite or freeze or commit some plugs?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 07-27-2021 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-27-2021, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Looking for recommendations for SSD drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
However, the above part of your comment is more about running out of CPU juice. Upgrading to an SSD (& also adding RAM) will help system performance overall, but it won't make the CPU any stronger. Try a higher buffer size? AudioSuite or freeze or commit some plugs?
Excellent advice from EGS.

My advice is:
If you just need lots more space, then buy a used big Firewire 800 external drive and plug it in. They should be very cheap now. Just use it for storage and backup. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test is a free little app that's easy to use, use it to determine on what disk you should put sessions.

Or:
If you want to try to get a little more performance out of the old imac, get a cost estimate from an authorized mac repair shop to: swap the internal spinner for an SSD. It will help the overall performance; faster startup, app launches, sessions opening, plugin loading. But, as EGS said, it will not make a difference to the pure processing power of the CPU.

Remember; an SSD in the internal SATA slot will be several times faster than a SSD on any of the external ports.

(While you're at it, get the price for a RAM upgrade too. 16gb is good, 8gb is minimum, I'd say. Also, ask about replacing the superdrive with a SSD. That'd make it possible for you to have two internal disks on the fast SATA bus! If you don't use CDs/DVDs, that is.)