Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Default PT - New to Mixing ITB - tips for setting up mixes?

I recently switched from a full console to mixing ITB with outboard hardware +summing.

I have the system set up pretty nicely, with several comps normalled to HW inserts. It's working flawlessly right now and sounds great. However, for the sake of time spent switching between mixes, what is the easiest way to set up PT so that I don't have to spend hours copying, saving, pasting, plugins, levels, groups etc. With the fully analog system, it was easy - just assign your outputs and your mix is still the same from the last song, tweak from there.

I don't really want to copy all of my audio files from the whole project into one big mix session. Although that would accomplish my goal, it would just get messy. I want my sessions to be clean.

What if I made a mixing template with my go-to plugs, groups, i/o, etc? Is it easier to consolidate/export my audio files from the tracking session then import them to the new mix session (also time and space consuming) or is it easier to just import said mixing template into my tracking template then move stuff to their respective tracks?

I want to be lean, mean and fast when mixing.

I guess what I'm asking is, how do you guys do go about this? What is the easiest way you've found to switch between mixes while saving from having to set up all your routing/plugs/etc.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 PM

Default Re: PT - New to Mixing ITB - tips for setting up mixes?

If you are using outboard hardware and summing it isn't mixing ITB. Why would you want to do that anyway? It defeats the whole purpose.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 PM

My summing mixer stays at unity gain for every single mix. I don't ever touch it. All of the outboard is being used as hardware inserts and is rarely touched between mixes. Therefore all of the levels, panning, etc are done ITB. Even though there are analog elements, I still consider this ITB mixing. Don't be a troll.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:27 AM

Howdy.
The import session data window is quite powerful. You load the new session, impot sesion data from other song, and if the tracks are called similar things from song to song, it can match track names. Just go through and check before ya commit.

There are many options when importing the settings. Go through the drop down box in the bottom right of the import session data, and go through them one by one.

Hope that helps..

Dave
Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 AM

And in PT8 you can save as template. you can do that with earlier version, but it's a little bit more complicated.

Rafi
Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlark View Post
My summing mixer stays at unity gain for every single mix. I don't ever touch it. All of the outboard is being used as hardware inserts and is rarely touched between mixes. Therefore all of the levels, panning, etc are done ITB. Even though there are analog elements, I still consider this ITB mixing. Don't be a troll.
I'm not being a troll, I'm pointing out that working ITB means you buy the concept that all the resources you need (except for the control surface and monitors) are available within the application and computer. It's not a value judgement, it's a definition by common usage.

I work both conventionally and ITB, depending on what the client wants, but greatly prefer ITB. I don't care how you mix, that's your business.

In terms of your question, try making session templates so that your sessions start out with the same basic setup. I generally load a "back end" template that contains all the IO, output auxes, FX return auxes, VCAs etc. with all the plugins set to my default settings. Then I add the source audio tracks needed for the particular project.

I have different templates for different situations.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdstudio View Post
Howdy.
if the tracks are called similar things from song to song, it can match track names. Just go through and check before ya commit.
This. This is huge. I had no idea that you could do this and it is saving a ton of time for me.

I've had a bit of time to set up some templates and experiment a bit. I have some good ideas about my new work flow and am very optimistic about it. Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 PM

Ive learnt heaps from this forum... Whenever i have a question, someone usually has a solution within an hour...

Better than tech support for sure!!! Well.. i guess it is tech support really...

Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlark View Post
This. This is huge. I had no idea that you could do this and it is saving a ton of time for me.

I've had a bit of time to set up some templates and experiment a bit. I have some good ideas about my new work flow and am very optimistic about it. Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.
If you're doing a "big" import session, do a "save a copy" before the big import, and there may possibly come a time you'll be happy you did. ;-)
Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 PM

The import session data is indeed very powerful. Take but a few minutes playing with it and you will see how great it can be. I have found in rare cases that opening a new session and then doing import session data can save a lost session, I went through and imported tack by track from the old session until PT crashed, then was able to identify the culprit bad plug in... anyway I digress.

+1 Blackbird Studio.

And I'm still lmfao that you called gary gegan a troll.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1