Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Default G5 for VI machine?

Hi all,

I am finally pulling the trigger on a new machine and I am thinking of utilizing my trusty old G5 to run as a VI machine perhaps. My thought is to run standalone VIs, Reason, Ableton, &c. output via a sound card (and perhaps the MIDI data too when needed?) back into Tools. Please see my signature below for all my current specs.

I am totally new to a set up like this and would appreciate some input from anyone who has successfully done something similar, or - if someone has tried this and found issues - what the drawbacks are. Most specifically, I'd like to know things like:

Internal sound card - new or used doesn't matter - choices?

Stability concerns?

Any special considerations of which I should be aware?

Is this just a silly idea with this machine?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Nathan
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 07-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Default Re: G5 for VI machine?

Others may chime in here, but I think a G5 nowadays will not go very far with VI's. You may want a new, powerful computer for that as well. For example, the recommended system for East West stuff is now a quad core.

You would actually be better off adding a mac mini instead, believe it or not.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Depends if you just want to send sounds from the G5 to your new machine or actually have it run in sync. If a G5 is just being used a stand alone sound module you could do pretty well. Just having a S/PDIF and MIDI connection between the 2 could do it.
Check out the MIDI over LAN thing as well if you want to run in sync with PT
10.12.6, PT12.8.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks both of you for your responses!

@nst7: my new machine is actually going to be a mini... 2.66, 4GB, 500 GB HD... interesting that the G5 is not seen as being adequate for running alone. Even if that's the only thing it's doing?

I know the OS will be a restriction eventually... Anything else keeping it from being suitable in your experience?

@soundboy: just as a non-synced standalone workstation is more my thought for usage. Literally to input back to tools. Do you have a suggestion for a S/PDIF + MIDI card? Also any suggestions for any good d/a cards for this kind of machine?

Nathan
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpback View Post
Thanks both of you for your responses!

@nst7: my new machine is actually going to be a mini... 2.66, 4GB, 500 GB HD... interesting that the G5 is not seen as being adequate for running alone. Even if that's the only thing it's doing?

I know the OS will be a restriction eventually... Anything else keeping it from being suitable in your experience?

Just the system requirements of the VIs. I'm still using my G4 to do the same thing....even running old no longer available VIs on OS9!
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM

@ gothboy: This is good to hear! And since my needs will likely be pretty modest, perhaps I can get do the same. How are you outputting the sounds from your G4?

Nathan
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
Old 07-09-2010, 05:39 PM

The only reason to keep a G5 as a VI machine would be if there is a PPC only VI that you want to use. Unless you've already invested in software you know won't work on the intel platform, you're shooting yourself in the foot by keeping the G5. No one is developing or supporting software for PPC anymore. Not sure what the G5 is worth at this point, but even if you can only sell it for $400 there are new $400 computers that will blow it out of the water.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Don't even bother with PPC machines. It doesn't matter that it's a G5. Developers are no longer releasing code for it, Apple doesn't support it... etc. If you had an old library like a prior poster, they've got great longevity that way, but if you're setting up a new machine, even getting a Mac Mini will be a HUUUUGE step up from a G5. You can get a Mac Mini server even, and that's MAYBE twice as much as your $400 G5 and will give you MUCH longer life.

Even when the first Intel machines came out (I used to be a reseller), they ran circles around a top-of-the-line PPC-based unit.

It's not even apples to any other kind of fruit, never mind oranges.

But even if it's not an Apple, for $400, you can build a PC that will run all over the G5 for processing power.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:25 PM

I agree that the G5 make good door stop these days but if you have it and don't have to put any cash into it to try it, then try it and if you need more power get something with more power

remember, don't put any cash into it

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig