Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-23-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Stereo buss level low relative to input level

Hi folks! I'm brand new to this forum and I searched but couldn't find an answer to this one. I'm currently working at a studio that's running PT 6.4.0 with a ProControl. Here's my setup/situation/ problem:

I create a new session, with 1 new mono track and 1 stereo master. In all sytems I've used before, the level recorded on track 1 (all faders set to unity-including the master) will indicate the same level on the master. In other words, if I'm recording, say, a VO on track 1 at around 0VU, the level meters on the master will read the same as the track meter. At this particular studio, the master is -20dB from the level shown on the track 1 meter. This indication is the same on the computer screen as it is on the ProControl. The headphone mix is derived from the stereo mix, so I asked a talent to keep the headphones on, and it didn't matter if I only had the one track created (with no master fader) or the single track with the master fader. If I insert, say, an L1 UltrMax. (limiter) on the stereo master fader, I have to bring the threshold down to around -20 before anything starts happening. This makes me think that it's software and not hardware related. Does anyone know of a preference that could be set wrong, or alternately, a pref. file or something else that could be thrown away or some other way to kick this problem? Thanks so much for ANY help you can provide...

David
Old 01-24-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Stereo buss level low relative to input level

Hi,

pre or post fader monitoring?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:08 PM

Regular post fader monitoring. i.e. recording a VO session, one mono audio track and one stereo master fader created. No plug-ins. Level on the individual track looking good, master meter level -20 dB from what is shown on the track. The meters track the same, just with 20 dB difference. I hope this explaination makes sense, even though the problem doesn't... Thanks again for trying to help me figure this out!

David
Old 01-24-2006, 08:39 PM

Try this test. Create an mono audio track and insert an Signal generator, assign the output to Bus 1 then create an mono Aux input from Bus 1 Set the Sig gen to -10db, check the Aux level (it should also be -10db) assign the Aux out to Physical out 1 and assign a master fader to that output and see that it reads -10db as well. If not then it should be easy to track down the problem.
hope this helps
Simon L.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:49 PM

Problem solved!!! In case someone else searches the forum and has had this same problem, I will now supply the answer (at least to my particular problem). After much consternation, the problem ended up being simply the 882 card inside the computer was not seated firmly. I'm actually surprised that it passed audio at all. But it did, just 20dB down... There you go! Thanks, again, for all who tried to help and offered suggestions. Great forum!!!!

David