Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 AM

Default Problems recording midi (Korg SP-250)

I am new to pro tools. When I try to record my Korg SP-250 I can see that pro tools register the instrument. When I press down the keys I see the sound bar moving, and that pro tools record what I play. But I hear no sound. Why is this? Do I need some kind of plug ins for my actual instrument?

Help please :)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Problems recording midi (Korg SP-250)

Do you have audio cables hooked up to your Protools interface? If not, you will need to do that, then create an audio track and set the inputs to match, then record arm that track.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:02 AM

This is a good place to use a stereo INSTRUMENT track. An INSTRUMENT track combines a MIDI track, with an AUX track so you can keep the session smaller and more tidy. It prints the midi info from the keyboard(midi has no sound, BTW) and you can either select the audio input, and use the Korg as your sound source, or insert an instrument plugin in the top insert slot for your sound source(something like MiniGrand for piano, or DB33 for organ). Instrument tracks can be a bit confusing at first. If you view the MIX window, and go to the top menu bar and hit VIEW>Mix Window Shows>>> there is an option to view Instrument. What that is, is a new row at the very top of the MIX window that actually is showing the midi input "instrument"(by default it will show ALL as it will receive midi on all midi channels). It is possible(with the correct settings) to use multiple midi devices(like 2 keyboards at the same time for different instrument sounds). anyway, you can see why it can get confusing. Start slow and keep it simple at first.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Do you have audio cables hooked up to your Protools interface? If not, you will need to do that, then create an audio track and set the inputs to match, then record arm that track.
Hey! I only use a this cable: http://smartpenguins.com/fastpenguin...ex-listing.jpg

Its called Edirol UM-1ex.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 AM

That is only the MIDI interface. MIDI is only data. You will need to route the Audio from your keyboard back into Pro Tools or a Mixer (however you are monitoring).

Check with headphones connected to your keyboard. Then connect your audio outs into PT, and set up like Albee said.
M-Audio Firewire 410 via Digi-Qualified SIIG FireWire 2-Port ExpressCard {NN-EC2012-S1}
Glyph 050Q 500GB via eSATA
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenicrecords View Post
That is only the MIDI interface. MIDI is only data. You will need to route the Audio from your keyboard back into Pro Tools or a Mixer (however you are monitoring).

Check with headphones connected to your keyboard. Then connect your audio outs into PT, and set up like Albee said.
So I connect an audio cable in the "DI" input on my mbox to my keyboard. I will have to try that then.