Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 PM

Default New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Was really excited to get my new MacPro and was really looking forward to being able to use the new features of ProTools 11 but have become very discouraged at this point. The MacPro itself is a screamer and been very stable and have zero complaints about it but ProTools 11 is another story... Crashes all the time and with no warning. Was recording 3 live tracks on a new session with no plugins and it was about 3 minutes into the song and "gone!". Just closes right up and back to the finder screen. Was able to recover the tracks that were recorded and import them back into the session and punch and finish the song but it's things like that that happen all the time. Constantly sending reports to Avid all the time... Then other little things that consistently make it crash like copying settings from a plugin on an instrument or insert plugin and pasting it to another plugin and "crash". Then I have Pitch n Time Pro AAX 64 bit version that they just released and when I use it that is definitely guaranteed to crash PT11 within a minute or so after transposing or changing the speed of something. All said, AVID has their work cut out for themselves to get a stable product because they are definitely nowhere near there now. I am definitely not happy I made the transition this early in the game and I really hope they will be coming out with worthwile upgrades and fast! As for those of you that are thinking of making the jump, my suggestion is wait until they get it together!!!

MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-core 12MB L3 cache, 16 GB RAM, 512GB PCIe- based flash storage, 3TB Lacie Tbolt Drive, RME UFX Interface, MOTU MTP A/V, PT 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.1
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Out of the few people that have the new Mac Pro, they are using it very successfully with PT11. This is the first I've heard of any problems.

I would try various troubleshooting methods. Hopefully you can get it sorted out.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Out of the few people that have the new Mac Pro, they are using it very successfully with PT11. This is the first I've heard of any problems.

I would try various troubleshooting methods. Hopefully you can get it sorted out.
I have actually made every recommended setting as always that AVID says to do and still having the crash problems. Been using PT since version 4 so well aware of all the trouble shooting methods.. This one has me baffled. This is the most unstable ProTools I have ever used so this is why I felt the need to post...
Old 02-02-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtrax View Post
I have actually made every recommended setting as always that AVID says to do and still having the crash problems. Been using PT since version 4 so well aware of all the trouble shooting methods.. This one has me baffled. This is the most unstable ProTools I have ever used so this is why I felt the need to post...
So if Pro Tools is crashing what does the OS X crash report say? Post the full report here across multiple posts.

What third party plugins (if any) do you have installed? Did you try running Pro Tools 11 before any were installed?

What standard troubleshooting steps have you tried? Don't just say "all", that just becomes a pointless guessing game. Did you trash prefs/databases? Tried a new empty session? Removed all third party plugins? Reinstalled Pro Tools 11? What else?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
So if Pro Tools is crashing what does the OS X crash report say? Post the full report here across multiple posts.

What third party plugins (if any) do you have installed? Did you try running Pro Tools 11 before any were installed?

What standard troubleshooting steps have you tried? Don't just say "all", that just becomes a pointless guessing game. Did you trash prefs/databases? Tried a new empty session? Removed all third party plugins? Reinstalled Pro Tools 11? What else?
I do have the Waves Mercury Bundle, Metric Halo ChannelStrip, Autotune 7, Choir Evo, Duo Evo, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, NI Session Strings, Session Horns, Alicia's Keys, Vintage Organs, and the complete A.I.R. Instruments bundle. As far as trouble shooting, I did remove the instrument AAX plugins from the plugins folder as well as the Waves and Antares plugs and ran PT without them and still had crashes. I did trash prefs and databases as well and still had the crashes. I spent pretty much a whole day on this trying to chase down the problem and get the machine stable enough for my session arriving the following day...
Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I do have the Waves Mercury Bundle, Metric Halo ChannelStrip, Autotune 7, Choir Evo, Duo Evo, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, NI Session Strings, Session Horns, Alicia's Keys, Vintage Organs, and the complete A.I.R. Instruments bundle. As far as trouble shooting, I did remove the instrument AAX plugins from the plugins folder as well as the Waves and Antares plugs and ran PT without them and still had crashes. I did trash prefs and databases as well and still had the crashes. I spent pretty much a whole day on this trying to chase down the problem and get the machine stable enough for my session arriving the following day...
Well problem are always most likely to be plugins so remover every last third party one out. That should be the first plugin troubleshooting step. if it helps then you have more work to do, if not, not good. This should not take very long to at least see how removing all third party plugins work.

Always suspect plugins, and of that list of plugins there are several there including from Spectrasonics that have been apparently causing Pro Tools 11 crashes recently.

If still stuck try a full Pro Tools reinstall. And test it with absolutely no third party plugins installed before you do anything else.

Where are the OS X crash report(s)? Console.app, User reports section...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
seriously dont spend that kind of money and put in 16 gig of ram - my watch cant run on 16 gig of ram, how can the new mac pro with protools?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekvh View Post
seriously dont spend that kind of money and put in 16 gig of ram - my watch cant run on 16 gig of ram, how can the new mac pro with protools?
The problem as described will have nothing to do with this system having 16GB of memory. And which may be a completely fine amount of memory for whatever the user is doing.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 PM

I am running 8 Gb in my macbook pro and I can run a lot of things without even reaching 50% of memory ... all my plugins with libraries also
macOS 14.3
Pro Tools 2024.3
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 PM

Ouch!!!! Not the news I was hoping for. I'm waiting on mine to arrive, anyone else have any news to share?