Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: 7.4 time stretch looks interesting

Oh yeah. Here's hoping for that secret nugget.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:

And being a long time Digi fan boy, I must admit that hearing the AES marketing quotes such as, "...Pro Tools the most powerful digital audio workstation hands down in the world!" is just embarrassing.

No. It's not. And that can be demonstrated.

Shane
Yeh that was really funny

But on the other hand, they always lie in advertising!

This is another example of how Digi isn't in touch with the real world.

This "revolutionary" concept isn't so revolutionary at all, just something other DAW's allready had a time ago.
Mbox PT 7.3
Old 10-10-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:

And being a long time Digi fan boy, I must admit that hearing the AES marketing quotes such as, "...Pro Tools the most powerful digital audio workstation hands down in the world!" is just embarrassing.

No. It's not. And that can be demonstrated.

Shane
Yeh that was really funny

But on the other hand, they always lie in advertising!

This is another example of how Digi isn't in touch with the real world.

This "revolutionary" concept isn't so revolutionary at all, just something other DAW's allready had a time ago.
From what I've seen and from what I've heard from others whom I respect explain to me, Digi's way of using this concept within Pro Tools has further reaching applications and implementations than you'd first think and significantly different to how other apps have done it. It's certainly looks revolutionary as far as Pro Tools is concerned.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:00 AM

i don't know how other DAWs handle the elastic audio .... but what i see here

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=5402

7.4 elastic audio is ammazing
Old 10-10-2007, 04:38 AM

Quote:
NickH, my post and intention was in no way antagonistic towards you in any way. You read way to much into that bro-ski and all your points are valid. Join us on Skype and you will hear our many view points pro and con from all of us with the utmost respect towards each other. You'll also be able to put a "voice" and character to all the text you read which will add to the reading once you get to know some of our twisted humor.
Sorry Shane, quite right, I was probably taking it far too personally & read far too much into it, I must get into the Skype thing it sounds like a great technology...

Cheers

N
Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 AM

Hello. Yes elastic audio certainly was not invented by Digidesign, but this implementation of it in their software is definitely very good. As some have said, similar to Live but I think you will be surprised at actually how well it works inside of Pro Tools. Then again, trade show demos are always rehearsed and planned out, so we can't really go strictly by them. But if it works as well as it did in the demo, this indeed will be a big release. As someone mentioned, this just happened to be terrible timing coming alongside everyone else's releases.

I think what you are seeing here with these responses is the frustration of coming to the realization that Pro Tools LIMITED EDITION just can't compete with anything else in the market. Let's say these words a few more times. LIMITED EDITION. LIMITED EDITION. LIMITED. LIMITED. LIMITED. I think for many people somehow this is only now sinking in that maybe they were expecting way too much from something that never will be. I know it may seem a little picky when it comes to semantics but you really have to look at the name of the software itself. The Limited Edition; that tells you all you need to know. Limited, it will be never be fully featured. The moment Pro Tools LE becomes fully featured it ceases to be LE. So as long as LE exists it will always be limited and it will never be able to compete with other companies. Never. Don't expect it to and you will never be disappointed.

Some people made comments that Digidesign became the industry standard from its customers. This is true but sadly it's the TDM customers. Pro Tools TDM is the industry standard not LE. If tomorrow they announced LE ceased to exist Pro Tools would still be the industry standard. Pro Tools TDM was the industry standard before LE even existed, at least in Post Production.

Some others have mentioned that Digidesign used to be an innovative and cutting edge company. I have never thought of them as such. Never. Ever. Their TDM software today is not as innovative as things from Emagic, Steinberg, Ableton, Magix, etc. If we are strictly talking innovation and such, Digidesign has never been at the forefront. Never. It took them years, decades to even have stereo tracks. So as we sit today, Digidesign's TDM software is not at the top of the pack when it comes to innovation and cutting edge. It never has in the past. I dare say it never will in the future.

As I said I think all this frustration is that it is finally sinking in to some people that thay had put way too many expectations on something that it's impossible to be delivered to them. Sort of like growing apart from your girlfriend (or boyfriend) who you thought at one point was the ultimate but you now see them as they really are. It's not that they changed, it's that you changed. Digidesign really hasn't changed in all these years, you have. And you were maybe thinking of Pro Tools LE as something that it never really was, never could be. LE will never ever compete with other software. Never.

Say that mantra a few more times and maybe it will sink in. Digidesign will do OK with or without the LE market you can count on that. And at the end of the day this is something that I have seen a lot throughout the years with LE users. Most of them eventually outgrow the software and move on to something else. When they leave a new crop of users come in that will eventually outgrow LE in a few years. It's happening as we speak.

I have been using Logic 8 for a couple of weeks now and I can say that it will probably NOT turn out to be the LE killer. It really hasn't changed that much from Logic 7; and we all know that wasn't the LE killer. The main drawbacks from Pro Tools users are still there, the workflow is different, the editing is different, the mixing and routing are different. Some would say better, more powerful and more flexible and I may agree to a certain extent, but you have to realize it's the exact way it has always been. So no, with as much hoopla as Logic 8 got, I dare say it will turn out not to be that big a deal after all.

It's always nice to expect better things from LE. As time keeps marching on each version gets a little more. If you compare 7.4 LE to the first version of LE software it's light years ahead. But don't ever expect LE to compete with other software in the marketplace. It never will. If you realize that fact you will never be disappointed

P.S. LIMITED...LIMITED...LIMITED...LIMITED
Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 AM

Well said froyo, may I ad just one more thing? Years ago when PT was the only guy on the block (hence the term Standard) Digidesign realized that they needed to tap into the home recording market. (much like putting a cheap Mercedes in every garage) Naturally they weren’t going to drop their price from $10k to under a grand for the same product, so they created a cheaper interface and scaled-down software. This is the system most of you are complaining about. The other companies are just giving away the farm, offering more for less, just to compete in the market. No one’s begging you to stay and I don’t think Digi’s too concerned.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:57 AM

One thing to consider though, is the pricing.

So, we've established that PTLE is the 'scaled back' version of the TDM systems. Hence, it costs alot less than a TDM system. Okay, all that is well and makes sence.

However, when you look at other software in the market. Around the same price (if not cheaper) than PTLE, there is no denying they provide many more features, and many less restrictions (apparently stabler too, although I have no experience of this). Now this is where things start to get really uneven.

So we now start seeing LE users (and prospective users, if they obtain the knowledge about other systems before just purchasing for the Pro Tools name) thinking well why should I pay X ammount of $ for PTLE when paying around the same ammount for say Sonar, Live, or Logic will get me a whole lot more.

If Digidesign want to keep the LE market (while also keeping the divide between HD and LE software) it seems to me they need to lift their game in general. LE needs to be lifted to alteast compete with other similar priced software and HD needs to be lifted to make people want to spend upwards of $10k on it.

Personally I would like to see the LE and HD software devide be removed (or atleast lessened) and Digi to keep the divide between the two systems in the hardware. Hmmm.

Koe.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Hello. Yes elastic audio certainly was not invented by Digidesign, but this implementation of it in their software is definitely very good. As some have said, similar to Live but I think you will be surprised at actually how well it works inside of Pro Tools. Then again, trade show demos are always rehearsed and planned out, so we can't really go strictly by them. But if it works as well as it did in the demo, this indeed will be a big release. As someone mentioned, this just happened to be terrible timing coming alongside everyone else's releases.

I think what you are seeing here with these responses is the frustration of coming to the realization that Pro Tools LIMITED EDITION just can't compete with anything else in the market. Let's say these words a few more times. LIMITED EDITION. LIMITED EDITION. LIMITED. LIMITED. LIMITED. I think for many people somehow this is only now sinking in that maybe they were expecting way too much from something that never will be. I know it may seem a little picky when it comes to semantics but you really have to look at the name of the software itself. The Limited Edition; that tells you all you need to know. Limited, it will be never be fully featured. The moment Pro Tools LE becomes fully featured it ceases to be LE. So as long as LE exists it will always be limited and it will never be able to compete with other companies. Never. Don't expect it to and you will never be disappointed.

Some people made comments that Digidesign became the industry standard from its customers. This is true but sadly it's the TDM customers. Pro Tools TDM is the industry standard not LE. If tomorrow they announced LE ceased to exist Pro Tools would still be the industry standard. Pro Tools TDM was the industry standard before LE even existed, at least in Post Production.

Some others have mentioned that Digidesign used to be an innovative and cutting edge company. I have never thought of them as such. Never. Ever. Their TDM software today is not as innovative as things from Emagic, Steinberg, Ableton, Magix, etc. If we are strictly talking innovation and such, Digidesign has never been at the forefront. Never. It took them years, decades to even have stereo tracks. So as we sit today, Digidesign's TDM software is not at the top of the pack when it comes to innovation and cutting edge. It never has in the past. I dare say it never will in the future.

As I said I think all this frustration is that it is finally sinking in to some people that thay had put way too many expectations on something that it's impossible to be delivered to them. Sort of like growing apart from your girlfriend (or boyfriend) who you thought at one point was the ultimate but you now see them as they really are. It's not that they changed, it's that you changed. Digidesign really hasn't changed in all these years, you have. And you were maybe thinking of Pro Tools LE as something that it never really was, never could be. LE will never ever compete with other software. Never.

Say that mantra a few more times and maybe it will sink in. Digidesign will do OK with or without the LE market you can count on that. And at the end of the day this is something that I have seen a lot throughout the years with LE users. Most of them eventually outgrow the software and move on to something else. When they leave a new crop of users come in that will eventually outgrow LE in a few years. It's happening as we speak.

I have been using Logic 8 for a couple of weeks now and I can say that it will probably NOT turn out to be the LE killer. It really hasn't changed that much from Logic 7; and we all know that wasn't the LE killer. The main drawbacks from Pro Tools users are still there, the workflow is different, the editing is different, the mixing and routing are different. Some would say better, more powerful and more flexible and I may agree to a certain extent, but you have to realize it's the exact way it has always been. So no, with as much hoopla as Logic 8 got, I dare say it will turn out not to be that big a deal after all.

It's always nice to expect better things from LE. As time keeps marching on each version gets a little more. If you compare 7.4 LE to the first version of LE software it's light years ahead. But don't ever expect LE to compete with other software in the marketplace. It never will. If you realize that fact you will never be disappointed

P.S. LIMITED...LIMITED...LIMITED...LIMITED
froyo, dead on-point and well said!!!!

like others have said, maybe a FULL NATIVE version is the answer...LE...FULL NATIVE...HD/TDM!!??!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 10-10-2007, 12:36 PM

So... did they fix the bug where pressing the "play" buton only works 1/3 of the time? And I don't mean fixed like it was "fixed" in cs3, I mean fixed like when you hit the play button, protools plays the song... every time.