Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  ē  Community Terms of Use  ē  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  ē  Community Search  ē  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 03-29-2024, 09:08 AM

Default Moving from a 5,1 to a Mac Studio advice wanted

Just want to make sure I'm using best practice to make the transition for my hdx system.
I'm moving from an old 5,1 to a Studio M1. I have the breakout box for my hdx card.
Am I correct that it's best to deauthorize everthing on my old computer and do fresh installs on the new one?
But I can use Migration assistant for files etc?

Also what about removing the solid state drives I have and putting them in external housing?

Anything else I' missing or tips to make this go smoothly are much appreciated.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Moving from a 5,1 to a Mac Studio advice wanted

You need to describe stuff with details. It is the details that will bite you.

What exact model/config Mac Studio... that affects how bad the known USB issues are.

What exact Thunderbolt break out box? It needs to be a supported one. It should be from Sonnet.

There are notes/knowledge base articles on HD Driver installs etc. make sure you read and follow them.

What exact make/model/spec old SSDs? You may be better off buying a new Mac with enough internal SSD capacity. Do not mix storage and HDX cards in a Thunderbolt expansion chassis, certainly not PCIe/NVMe SSD that are known to cause problems. If the SSDs are old it may also be good to check their health/drive wear etc.

Take the opportunity to check all the SSD firmware is up to date (after making sure you have backups)

Yes you should do complete new installs of software. Do not use migration assistant (assasin) to migrate apps or drivers. You can use it to migrate user accounts and documents but I would still personally do that by hand, especially to help clean out junk no longer needed.

Make sure you do NOT set up iCloud desktop/doc sharing.

You should go through all your plugins, getting new installers ready, making sure they support apple silicon natively (not just claims to "be compatible"). In some cases you may have to upgrade plugin versions. Get all this sorted out before you start.

Any additional audio interfaces that are not USB class compliant need new Apple silicon drivers.

As a general approach I would do as little as possible to trash the current system so you have a failback option. Maybe something like: get stuff setup and working with the built in audio on the new Mac. Get all the plugins installed and test them as native, avoid needing to move existing physical drives from the Mac Pro. etc. You have to think what works best for you, and the time and other projects you have going, but too many upgrades/migrations seem to start with folks burning the bridge they are standing on.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:45 AM

yeah thanks. that answers most. i do have an authorized breakout box. moving to a mac studio m1 16 g ram 512 hard drive. i'll install my core plugins first and then add as I have time. I'll buy new drives as well as try to save the one i have. drives are cheap. I only use avid interface so this should go smoothly. hopefully
Old 03-29-2024, 11:26 AM

There is no Mac Studio with 16GB of memory, and if there was I sure would not buy a 16GB system.

What is the actual model name/number/EMC code etc.? Be aware of widely discussed USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gb/s) performance issues on these Macs on ports with Thunderbolt 4 (so the Mac with front ports without Thunderbolt can be a better choice if you want this to be less problematic).

If you can get away with it I would encourage you to consider internal SSD vs. external.

If you go external you have choices between USB/SATA (I'd avoid except as part of a large JBOD/NAS box) and USB/NVMe (like the Samsung T9) and Thunderbolt 3 (my preference there are for Samsung 990 M.2 drives in a Sonnet echo Express SE IIIe chassis or simmilar, using dumb PCIe slot to M.2 drive adapter cards). Any SSD use should start with checking the bloody firmware https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=425632 (I need to update that, but you have an Intel Mac to do this on). Because of the USB stupidity on these Macs I'd tend to go internal SSD or external Thunderbolt if I was trying to get high-performance storage. Look at the total cost and hassle before running away from the pain of Apple SSD pricing. No idea of your needs, so it may or may not be an option.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:34 PM

sorry typo 32 gig ram.
appreciate the insight very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is no Mac Studio with 16GB of memory, and if there was I sure would not buy a 16GB system.

What is the actual model name/number/EMC code etc.? Be aware of widely discussed USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gb/s) performance issues on these Macs on ports with Thunderbolt 4 (so the Mac with front ports without Thunderbolt can be a better choice if you want this to be less problematic).

If you can get away with it I would encourage you to consider internal SSD vs. external.

If you go external you have choices between USB/SATA (I'd avoid except as part of a large JBOD/NAS box) and USB/NVMe (like the Samsung T9) and Thunderbolt 3 (my preference there are for Samsung 990 M.2 drives in a Sonnet echo Express SE IIIe chassis or simmilar, using dumb PCIe slot to M.2 drive adapter cards). Any SSD use should start with checking the bloody firmware https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=425632 (I need to update that, but you have an Intel Mac to do this on). Because of the USB stupidity on these Macs I'd tend to go internal SSD or external Thunderbolt if I was trying to get high-performance storage. Look at the total cost and hassle before running away from the pain of Apple SSD pricing. No idea of your needs, so it may or may not be an option.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:30 PM

Just clarifying more regarding the iCloud stuff. By default on a new Mac iCloud Drive is on which backs up content from folders like documents to iCloud. I made the mistake of leaving this on at one point which causes every file that comes about during a Pro Tools session to try to back up to iCloud while you are working. Bad for computer performance and you're wasting your iCloud space.

System Settings -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive -> Make sure "sync this Mac" is unchecked
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 04-02-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just want to make sure I'm using best practice to make the transition for my hdx system.
I'm moving from an old 5,1 to a Studio M1. I have the breakout box for my hdx card.
Am I correct that it's best to deauthorize everthing on my old computer and do fresh installs on the new one?
But I can use Migration assistant for files etc?

Also what about removing the solid state drives I have and putting them in external housing?

Anything else I' missing or tips to make this go smoothly are much appreciated.
Do not use migration assistant, you'll be trying to migrate 5,1 tech into an m1 tech and it will fail. Everything fresh except the hardrive you use to save in. that should be plug and play. Also yes, deactivate all plugins before moving on. Good luck on your new adventure
Old 04-02-2024, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
Just clarifying more regarding the iCloud stuff. By default on a new Mac iCloud Drive is on which backs up content from folders like documents to iCloud. I made the mistake of leaving this on at one point which causes every file that comes about during a Pro Tools session to try to back up to iCloud while you are working. Bad for computer performance and you're wasting your iCloud space.

System Settings -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive -> Make sure "sync this Mac" is unchecked
You shouldn't be using your boot drive for sessions, storage etc.
Documents data for samples as well should be on an external drive. Constantly writing to your SDD will degrade it faster than normal and you will end up with an expensive repair.

You should be able to pull from iCloud all your network settings and passwords, system settings, and if you use Safari, all your passwords and bookmarks.
Almost every plugin
Old 04-02-2024, 08:47 PM

Agreed, of course use external SSDs for sessions and sound libraries. It's just worth also disabling the service (iCloud Drive) for most things besides one's that are overtly useful, so music stuff isn't ever in iCloud. And yes, documents folder shouldn't be used anyway for sessions and sounds, but Pro Tools does keep some files there which is ok. I also don't recommend migration assistant either for the OP. I think we're all in agreement here :)
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 04-02-2024, 10:32 PM

I just upgraded from a Mac 6,1 with Pro Tools HDX to the Mac Studio M2 Max. Iím on Sonoma 14.3.1(not 14.4!). The biggest challenges I had were waiting for my external SSD drives to ship, and losing a few plug ins that are not(or may never be) Mac silicon compatible. I have 2 external SSD NVMe drives from OWC, and they have been working great without a hitch so far after a few weeks. I reinstalled everything from the ground up and copied over documents and projects. I am only using the internal drive for Mac OS and apps/plug in apps. My HDX card was already updated to the latest driver, so I didnít need to upgrade the card. I have been running the HDX in the Sonnet expansion chassis, but I havenít sprung for the TB3 interface card yet, so Iím using a TB2 to TB3 adapter. Itís fine so far and no issues with that setup. I did need to upgrade some versions of plug ins for Mac Silicon, and all but a few had a free upgrade to the latest versions. I had also already upgraded Waves plug ins to v14. I am not going to run in Rosetta mode, and if after 4 years of waiting since Mac silicon was released if plug in developers can not meet that schedule, then they are not serious about investing in their product(Lexicon, Iím looking at you).
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VIís and plug ins to mention.