Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: no 003 user reviews yet?

Anyone have the link to the thread of the supposed new LE type platform were digitech mentioned it?

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 AM

Okay k-man. No need to sling tude at me. I simply stated that he might want to wait for the supposed next big thing in LE hardware. If you're experiencing noticeable diff, I stand corrected. No need for "...maybe that's not important to you..." crap.
Wheels
Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 AM

Tha K Man,
what sounds better? do you own a 003?

what has been your experience? Please elab...
Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 AM

Has any one check out www.blacklionaudio.com? there is a small review that can give you an insight to the 003.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 AM

Has any one check out www.blacklionaudio.com? there is a small review that can give you an insight to the 003.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:14 PM

Surely by now some DUC'er has had the chanse to A/B the 002-003

And after reading the Black lion audio website, they are hinting that the DAC section of the 003 is inferior to the DAC of 002.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Hi all,

although I never had a 002 I could give you my subjective impression about the 003 (as I already stated in my other thread about it's misbehaviour :

Just to give you some background info about myself: I started 1999 with am MIX system with 882|20 converters. In the mean time I had the chance to hear 888|24s and I bought for my mobile setup a MOTU 828mk2. I usually mix with tannoy reveal and mackie 824s. - So maybe for some of you I am already disqualified, whatever... btw: leadvocals through AKG solitube and brauner phantom.

The difference soundwise in my opinion compared to the MIX converters is huge. Although I wouldn't call myself a pro (I still need a second job to survive), I think I can hear a significant difference in the transients (don't know if this is the right word in english). Not so much through the tannoys but definitely through the mackies. I played back old sessions I recorded with my former equipment and even they sounded more transparent.

What I like very much ist the control you get with the 003. Before I had two motormixes which weren't bad but I still had a lot to do with the keyboard and the mouse. Jogshuttle and dedicated transport control is more convenient to me. I also have the impression that the faders work more exact. Everything else is quite selfexplaining, at least when you have worked with PT before (I had PT 5 on a G3). I actually did not read the guide yet exept for the basic installation routine.

What I don't like so much, but I think has to do with the different architecture of LE systems compared to TDM systems, is it's ressource needs. I was working before with SCSI, IDE and firewire drives without any problems, no matter how fast they were. Now I can't use any of them anymore. Even with 44.1 my newest fw-drive is too slow, so I had to order an avastor drive (that is approved). I just have the system for a few days but I don't think it is that stable as the MIX was. - We will see. Maybe it has also something to do with OS X but there are so many things you have to care about just to get it running. Maybe I am to old fashioned but I am not into spending hours on configuring and optimizing just to press record... I think the days of 'plug and play' are gone for good. As I said before I am not a pro, I just want to go down in my cellar and have some fun, not having to make a vocational training in computer programming and administration...sorry I am getting off topic...

Yes I think that's the most of it. The rest is more related to PT 7.3 (I came from PT 5). It is very colorful which I don't know if it really improves the usability. But it's easy to get along with.

And I found a bug (described in my other thread "003 weird behavior?" a few days ago), but it's not too big.

Oh yes the ignition pack is not worth too much to me. Those demo versions are not more than a bad joke. I still couldn't find out what I can do with this melodyne uno essential, which doesn't allow you to correct anything in it's "essential" version. The only component I like is Xpand as it is better than my old jv 1010.

Besides that I like the 003 itself. It makes a solid impression when you have it in your hands. All knobs, faders and buttons seem to be stable and will last for a while. I don't care about design. this year it is white maybe next year they will make it in pink. Most of the time it is quite dark in my cellar - oops I mean recording studio...

Maybe (if you are interested at all) I can give you in a few weeks some feedback about my impression of it's life performance as I want to use it with my band for playback and recording on stage. I just hope that I will never see the "beachball of the devil".

Until that, so long.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Anyone have the link to the thread of the supposed new LE type platform were digitech mentioned it?
I believe this is the link that was mentioned, had to go searching myself... Check it, there's a hint in there about something in the works. (Maybe it will include ADC)
Old 04-19-2007, 04:34 PM

Hey thanks Real Eyes, I appreciate the link. I've always seen the 003 as the refresh of the 002, so the 003 release never bothered me any, it's really geared for the new PT users that will get a little higher quality in getting into PT, the most advantages you get are with the 003 console. Automation on the control surface is awesome and the jog wheel is nice, especially for post-production. It's cryptic to tell what new LE interface will come out, like a "003 pro" or "004". For me, the greatest strength has been the software for me. It's still the fastest audio editor out there, and very flexible, and simple to understand, even for advanced operators. I have a freind of mine who bought the 003 rack and he said it did sound better then the stock 002, but I'm not playing in that ball field anymore with mine being modded. I need to read the BLA standpoint on the 003.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 04-19-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Tha K Man,
what sounds better? do you own a 003?

what has been your experience? Please elab...
I don't own a 003 (yet). However - I have ten of them right here in front of me, as we sell them. Now I'm not giving you a sales pitch - I can't sell them to 99% of the folks here anyway (being in a different country and all), and frankly, I don't care what you use - it won't change my life one iota.

I've owned a 002 since release, so I'm very familiar with their "sound". Describing how something sounds can be pretty subjective, but here goes.

In comparison to the 002, I think that the 003 has much better "definition" if I can use that word (without getting flamed too much). In saying that, I mean that I'd much rather mix on a 003 - I believe that you get a better idea of what is going on in the mix. I have always found 002's to sound a little "spongy". ( yeah I know, another bad word...but I can't think of any other way to describe it.) I don't find this with the 003. I think that the imaging is better as well, and although I wouldn't put it quite in the league of a Metrix Halo, Apogee, or Lynx, but I think it's a definite and welcome sonic improvement over the 002.

Anyway, don't take my word for it...grab a cd, or a session, and go and have a listen to one yourself, because at the end of the day, how it sounds to you is all that matters.

P.S - I don't like the plasticky look, or the Iconesque knobs.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3