Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-19-2022, 07:13 PM

Default Back In Time..

In short... Yesterday I purchased the iLok PT10 license (through legal iLok manager), then went to Avid for PT10 download on Dell Inspiron15 5000; W10 (21H1). The download began, and then a message (not in exact words) appeared saying that the download being attempted may be harmful etc, but I chose to try anyway. PT10 install page appeared, and then a message said restart was needed to complete the install. I waited, and then suddenly the Dell Inspiron screen went blue upon attempted restart, except it had a message code saying there was an error and W10 could not restart etc. It attempted on its own to restart a couple of times, and then attempted on it's own to repair itself, but ultimately took me to what appeared to be safe mode. A few options wer e available to choose. I tried them all a couple of times. Neither, this thing called "image screen" or something, restore, nor system recovery*** worked. So Dell is out for now. I've only had it since Aug 2020.

I know this is a PT forum (predominantly) but maybe someone knows a little about the Windows updates in regards to running PT10 on a previous W7 startup that will stop providing updates soon. Will the laptops with no support eventually stop working down the line? Are we all destined for newer laptops we don't actually need just to run PT we will never own? Will we ultimately lose legacy PT's?
My true question is what do any of you think about diverting back to W7 with this Windows updates expiring in 2023?

Record Label On Traxsource
http://www.traxsource.com/label/1555...sentertainment

Follow me: http://www.instagram.com/ladynamedtracie
Old 09-26-2022, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Back In Time..

Hmmm, lots to consider.
1-What are the laptop specs? If its a "budget" laptop, moving to something newer(preferably something that is compatible with Windows 11) would seem to make sense.
2-If the computer came with Windows 7, then rolling back to 7 would allow you to keep rolling with PT 10, but there are a lot of plugins that are not likely to be available in RTAS or AAX 32 bit(the 2 formats that work with PT 10).
3-a blue screen(aka "BSOD") is often related to hardware and I'm not sure why you got that.

So, I guess the best path is to let your wallet decide. If cash is tight, roll back to Win 7. Just because it won't be supported, doesn't mean it won't keep working. If possible, I would keep it disconnected from the internet as much as possible(security being the biggest problem with an outdated OS)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave