Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-08-2003, 02:29 PM

Default Tool\'s Sound and Production

Hey everyone, I was hoping someone could shed some light on tool's sound. Does anyone know what mics were used for any of the cd's? Was pt used? pre-amps, micing techniques, effects, EQ, etc, etc...Anyone want to comment on the sound, good or bad?

Thanks!
Credits
Old 06-08-2003, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Tool\'s Sound and Production

bump...anyone?
Credits
Old 06-08-2003, 07:34 PM

i dont know what was/ has been used, but I know it sounds badass. They were nominated 9and i think won) for a best technical/technical excellence grammy.

the drums are phenomenal, vocals are amazing the way they soak through those huge guitars, even when maynard is singing softly.

i know adam uses a mesa dual rec., a diesal, and a marshall. i think he's been using the combination of those 3 things since the beginning..

tim
Old 06-08-2003, 09:08 PM

Nice, thanks for the info! I definitely have to agree that their stuff sounds amazing! There's a band I'm working with right now that draws a lot of influence from Tool, so I was hoping to learn as much about their sound as possible. I've been studying it for awhile now, but I wanted to check and see if anyone here had some more info about it.
Credits
Old 06-08-2003, 11:59 PM

There use to be a great article on the Users section of this site. It was all about Tool's Producer and how they record their albums. They need to bring that section back. It had great articles on Nine Inch Nails, Chemical Brothers, Deftones, Bjork and many other artists using Pro Tools.

I don't know why they haven't updated that section, but it would help to sell more Pro Tools systems once people see all the professionals utilizing it to make incredible albums.

Bring It Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note..........I think they said Tool tracks to 2" tape and then dumps it to Pro Tools for edits and mixing. I think Maynard cuts his vocals on a Neuman U87 mic. The drummer, Danny Carey, uses acoustic drums and electronic triggers with a Roland 505 Groove box.

Pce.