Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2006, 06:32 AM

Default amplitube, guitar rig, or sanamp?????

I think I have amplitube with my mbox2 factory bundle. Some Gearslutz mentioned guitar rig 2 as their fav DI plug, others prefer sansamp. What you guys prefer? Is digi store the best place to buy psa-1 sansamp plug or there a cheaper vendor?

thanks
Old 04-30-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Re: amplitube, guitar rig, or sanamp?????

The only thing i tend to use Amplitube for is Vocals... although i only have 1.2 still.. 2.0 might be better. It can get a pretty good guitar sound but you wont be fooling any guitar players. Guitar Rig sounds alot better IMO and is able to do alot more. And Guitar Rig you can get that pedal to turn on and off effects which is pretty cool. I haven't used San Amp yet... But i would expect it to be very limited.. since the real Rack mount for it is limited. Anyways... Maybe some guys on here can go ahead and post some of there songs and presets to give you an idea of the quality and sound of each Modeler.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:45 AM

I tend to favor the Plexi and JMP settings on Sansamp, and tweak from there, but I've not tried Guitar Rid or Amplitube. I also like Sansamp on vocals, drums, and bass, where applicable. The only thing I could compare it to is a Line 6 POD XT (which I feel is different, but not necessarily better), but Sansamp, while less flexible, is much easier to tweak. One band was quite impressed with the Sansamp guitar sounds, but only after we double-tracked the rhythm, applied different tones, and panned appropriately. No musician is going to be impressed with the sound of one mono guitar track, straight up the middle, even if its a U47 in front of a Matchless, unless he has 5 dudes telling him how awesome it is. Most musicians just want their song to sound BIG, and they don't care how you do it, so long as you do it well.

Sorry for the rant. One thing I CAN'T do with Sansamp or the PODXT is get those palm-muted power chords to "chug" as if the guitar player is standing close to his amp, which is a big deal if you're ever recording hardcore death metal.

If you give me your email address I'll send you a rough mix mp3 of a song with ALL direct guitars, distortion provided by Sansamp.

I do recommend the Line 6 PODXT, except the reverb is pretty useless. They sell on eBay for about $150 used, which is a very good price for what you're getting.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I think I have amplitube with my mbox2 factory bundle. Some Gearslutz mentioned guitar rig 2 as their fav DI plug, others prefer sansamp. What you guys prefer? Is digi store the best place to buy psa-1 sansamp plug or there a cheaper vendor?

thanks
Don't forget that the Amplitude that comes with ProTools is the LEversion and not the full version. The full version sounds way better than its stripped down little brother.

And like what was already mentioned........

Quote:
Sorry for the rant. One thing I CAN'T do with Sansamp or the PODXT is get those palm-muted power chords to "chug" as if the guitar player is standing close to his amp, which is a big deal if you're ever recording hardcore death metal.

All those modelers sound "good" but "real" is a whole other consideration. A real amp and a SM-57 will almost allways sound better than those software cloners.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:13 AM

Amplitube 2...sounds fantastic but it's a CPU pig.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 04-30-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
One thing I CAN'T do with Sansamp or the PODXT is get those palm-muted power chords to "chug" as if the guitar player is standing close to his amp, which is a big deal if you're ever recording hardcore death metal.
What are you monitoring the guitar through? Might help to turn up your monitors as loud as your wife/neighbors will allow so the sound can feed back onto the strings and help fatten the sound.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:08 PM

full PT sounds much different -other more plug ins- than pt le? Can the full version be used with the mbox2?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
What are you monitoring the guitar through? Might help to turn up your monitors as loud as your wife/neighbors will allow so the sound can feed back onto the strings and help fatten the sound.
Why not just use a real amp then?

It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to stuff a 421 or a 57 in front of an amp to record it.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Why not just use a real amp then?

It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to stuff a 421 or a 57 in front of an amp to record it.

Completely agree. But if he doesn't a have a good room to do it in, because of noise, standing waves, etc., then using an amp modeler might be a better option. Besides getting a 4x12 loud enough to saturate the tubes might be overwhelming for a project studio in someone's house/apt. Which is why I love my little 15W Blues Junior.

But yeah, when possible, mic an amp
Old 04-30-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
full PT sounds much different -other more plug ins- than pt le? Can the full version be used with the mbox2?
LOL Do you mean use Pro Tools TDM or HD with mbox 2? I can't tell you "no" with 100% assurance, but boy, would I be a bit pissed to find out I wasn't even offered to choose HD or TDM with my mbox. Good luck on getting that to work.

I'm 99.9% sure it wouldn't mainly because I'm assuming that they gear their software to respond to certain hardware. I assume this because I know that you can not use TDM plugins in PT LE because it's not a "native" plugin.