Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2022, 12:56 AM

Default Buying a perpetual license upgrade, help me understand

Hello guys,

I'm looking at this license upgrade offer:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ort-for-1-year

I have a perpetual license for Pro Tools 10 (actually a bundled PT9/PT10 one).

I never bought a support plan for it. I kept using it until I started paying a subscription plan.

Is that license upgrade something I can use to upgrade my PT10 license to PT Studio? Or do I absolutely need to have an expired support plan on it, which I don't have?

I'm afraid of buying this just to discover I can't use it. :-|

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''
Old 11-26-2022, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Buying a perpetual license upgrade, help me understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
Hello guys,

I'm looking at this license upgrade offer:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ort-for-1-year

I have a perpetual license for Pro Tools 10 (actually a bundled PT9/PT10 one).

I never bought a support plan for it. I kept using it until I started paying a subscription plan.

Is that license upgrade something I can use to upgrade my PT10 license to PT Studio? Or do I absolutely need to have an expired support plan on it, which I don't have?

I'm afraid of buying this just to discover I can't use it. :-|
Here's the Avid small print:

Quote:
A reinstatement reactivates an expired Software Updates + Support Plan included with perpetual licenses. If you own a perpetual license and have not kept up to date with yearly renewals to get access to the latest features and improvements, then you can upgrade to get access to the latest version of the software. Reinstatement was renamed "Get Current" for a Dec 2021 promo, and is referred to as an "Upgrade" with the Pro Tools 2022.4 release.

IMPORTANT Starting April 26, 2022:

Pro Tools non-EDU 9, 10, 11 and later versions that don’t have system id can only purchase Get Current from Avid Authorize resellers.

Pro Tools non-EDU versions 12 and up that have system ids may purchase Get Current inside your MyAvid Account View My Products page.

Pro Tools EDU and Institution Upgrade Reinstatement/Get Current are no longer available.
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...nt-Get-Current

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 11-26-2022, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Thank you noiseboyuc. The part saying "reactivates an expired Software Updates + Support Plan" was still causing me doubts.

Also, my Sweetwater engineer told me I explicitly needed an expired support plan and the product would not work for my case.

However, I saw a seller on eBay selling unregistered iLoks with PT9 licenses, and the upgrade card, stating it was all you needed to upgrade to Studio, so I decided to give it a try and buy the upgrade at Sweetwater.

Everything went well. Avid accepted my upgrade code and gave my a perpetual license bundle with PT10, 11, 12 and Studio. I also got an active 1-year subscription to all plugins and related software.

So, all is good. I just spent $50 extra over the current Studio subscription Black Friday offer, but got a perpetual Studio license out of a license that I thought I had no use for anymore.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Old 11-26-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
Thank you noiseboyuc. The part saying "reactivates an expired Software Updates + Support Plan" was still causing me doubts.

Also, my Sweetwater engineer told me I explicitly needed an expired support plan and the product would not work for my case.

However, I saw a seller on eBay selling unregistered iLoks with PT9 licenses, and the upgrade card, stating it was all you needed to upgrade to Studio, so I decided to give it a try and buy the upgrade at Sweetwater.

Everything went well. Avid accepted my upgrade code and gave my a perpetual license bundle with PT10, 11, 12 and Studio. I also got an active 1-year subscription to all plugins and related software.

So, all is good. I just spent $50 extra over the current Studio subscription Black Friday offer, but got a perpetual Studio license out of a license that I thought I had no use for anymore.
That is good news so it was an Ultimate subscription that you had and why you did not understand what I was saying about "no change for us on a current perpetual license update and support plan", over in that Ultimate renaming thread.

I still have Ultimate not Studio but I believe that going forward you should see in your account the option to renew your current perpetual Studio license for less than what the annual subscription would cost (other than Black Friday)

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-26-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
That is good news so it was an Ultimate subscription that you had and why you did not understand what I was saying about "no change for us on a current perpetual license update and support plan", over in that Ultimate renaming thread.

I still have Ultimate not Studio but I believe that going forward you should see in your account the option to renew your current perpetual Studio license for less than what the annual subscription would cost (other than Black Friday)
Yes, I was confused with the terms and I misunderstood you, thinking you had a subscription too, not a perpetual license.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit