Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 11-17-2022, 01:32 PM

Default Zebra 2 users - help please

If there are any Zebra 2 users out there could you help a fellow out? Zebra Legacy has dropped a couple of days ago for $99 US where you get Zebra 2 and all the expansions. Problem is the latest version doesn't have a Mac AAX version due to supposedly the Avid development tool not being compatible with the Apple SDK as seen on this page in a yellow box: https://u-he.com/products/zebra2/

Instead we get the previous version of Zebra. I'm calling BS on this because I believe I've seen other developers that don't have this issue and have been able to put out product that runs on both Intel and Apple Silicon. I'd like to have the newest version but at the same time don't feel like running it inside VEPro if I can help it.

I guess the question is: how good is the developer on doing updates in a timely manner? The version previous to the latest dropped in 2020 and I have to wonder if that would run correctly in PT 2021.6 on the Mac in my profile page? Unfortunately I can't demo it because I already demo'd it a couple of years ago when I was looking for a new synth and got UVI Falcon instead. And U-he doesn't do demo resets.

QAPLA!
Old 11-17-2022, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Zebra 2 users - help please

I already had it, and got the extra soundsets for free. When I downloaded the bundle of installers, there is an "AAX Read Me". It says the following:

Quote:
ProTools users on Mac need to use our last v2.9.2 installer (see AAX Mac folder), as the latest v2.9.3 does not include an AAX version. As soon as ProTools and AAX have native ARM support, our next update will include a new AAX version again.

u-he team
Here is the Changelog in the regular Read Me:

Quote:
Changes in version 2.9.3
- Native support for Apple Silicon (M1)
- Support for Oddsound MTS-ESP
- Minimum SSE4.2 required in Intel/AMD based systems
- macOS: 32bit support discontinued
- Various minor fixes and improvements

Changes in version 2.9.2
- macOS Big Sur compatibility
- Soundset installer support
- Various browser improvements
- GUI fixes/tweaks, new Zebralette GUI
- various bug-fixes
So, really the only thing you're not getting with 2.9.2 is Apple Silicon native support... which is fine, because Pro Tools DOES not have a Native Silicon version yet (but it runs swimmingly well on Apple Silicon in Rosetta mode).

So, my advice... buy the deal. Download the package. Install Zebra2/HZ 2.9.2 for Pro Tools. Use it. Enjoy it. When Avid rolls out a Native Silicon version of Pro Tools, hold your breath, wait a few weeks, read the reports of early adopters, and then head over to the u-He site to get your free update to Zebra with Native Silicon AAX compatibility.

That's what I'm doing.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 11-17-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I already had it, and got the extra soundsets for free. When I downloaded the bundle of installers, there is an "AAX Read Me". It says the following:

Here is the Changelog in the regular Read Me:

So, really the only thing you're not getting with 2.9.2 is Apple Silicon native support... which is fine, because Pro Tools DOES not have a Native Silicon version yet (but it runs swimmingly well on Apple Silicon in Rosetta mode).

So, my advice... buy the deal. Download the package. Install Zebra2/HZ 2.9.2 for Pro Tools. Use it. Enjoy it. When Avid rolls out a Native Silicon version of Pro Tools, hold your breath, wait a few weeks, read the reports of early adopters, and then head over to the u-He site to get your free update to Zebra with Native Silicon AAX compatibility.

That's what I'm doing.
Thanks for the reply. What exact version/revision of PT are you using? That's the one thing you don't have in your sig file. I'm on PT 2021.6 in High Sierra.

QAPLA!
Old 11-17-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thanks for the reply. What exact version/revision of PT are you using? That's the one thing you don't have in your sig file. I'm on PT 2021.6 in High Sierra.

Ah. Yeah, sorry about that. I try to stay current, so I usually don't update that part. I am on PT 2022.10 Ultimate on the machine listed below. Migrating to an Ultra Mac Studio in a few weeks. Mojave is technically unsupported, but it works for now on this machine. (I had to upgrade the video card a few years ago to get it to Mojave tho)

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 08-20-2023, 02:45 PM

Hello all, are you guys using Zebra AAX 2.9.2 with Ventura? that is working? Thanks!
Old 08-20-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoshoes View Post
Hello all, are you guys using Zebra AAX 2.9.2 with Ventura? that is working? Thanks!
I haven't been using it regularly, but it still seems to be working fine. (2.9.2 - Ventura 13.5, PTU 2023.6 - in ROSETTA mode)

No word when Silicon Native versions will be available.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:52 PM

Same for U-He Satin.
“Waiting for Avid”…
Upgraded but not AAX
Old 08-21-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Same for U-He Satin.
“Waiting for Avid”…
Upgraded but not AAX
I do NOT understand what is Ur's hangup is with upgrades.

QAPLA!
Old 08-23-2023, 05:07 AM

via u-he support:

Avid had reported that older AAX plugins might simply refuse to work in macOS Monterey or newer versions.
This was because of some security updates Apple had introduced, and those old AAX plugins didn't pass those security tests.

However, it seems that many users are successfully using our AAX plugins even in the newest macOS version. So this problem might no longer exist, though I cannot guarantee that the current version of Zebra really works there.

We'll hopefully have public betas of most of our products with new AAX versions available in the coming weeks and months.

Btw, our current release candidate for the Filterscape 1.5 update (can be downloaded in our KVR forum) contains native Silicon AAX support.

Yesterday we also posted a beta version of our freeware Podolski that includes a native Silicon AAX version.
We hope to get some feedback on how it runs in Pro Tools, so we can determine if our new AAX implementation is good to go or if it needs more work.

If you are interested in trying it out, you can find the Podolski beta here:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=600604
Old 08-23-2023, 11:43 AM

There are ways to bypass those security hurdles. I had to do it for several older plugz; SSL's and some others. It was via a terminal command though I don't remember what it was (it could be found if needed). It's not something I've had to deal with at all with the new Mac Studio, but then I had to lower security via Recovery mode in order to get my TB Native interface to communicate with PT so that could be allowing some older plugz to operate.