How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2022, 09:09 PM

Default License not working [solved]

Hello,
I just purchased Pro Tools Artist monthly.
It is active in my Avid account under My Products.
It is active on my iLok in iLok License manager.
It is active in Avid Link software.

I have OSX 10.12.6 so installed the last compatible version, Pro Tools 2019.10.
iLok License manager is version 5.6.3 (latest) and third generation iLok.

Pro Tools wont launch. It says "Activation Error The attempt to use Avid Link to activate resulted in an error. Please click the Next button..."
I choose to use iLok to activate.
"Select License to Activate You don't have any licenses in your account, or non of the licenses there have activations available. If you have an iLok USB device with a license activated on it, please plug it in now. You do not have any pending deliveries for the license(s) you need to authorize the software. Click here if you need to purchase a license for Pro Tools Perpetual."

Also, the included screenshot is in Avid Link where one can buy a academic subscription (I'm a student) but you can't check out because where it says to "Click to pick a date" it just remains grey and you cant enter anything.

Why is this happening?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Untitled.jpeg (25.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-11-2022, 09:21 PM

Default Re: License not working

There is no monthly Artist subscription for Pro Tools 2019. Your Artist license is for current versions of PT.

Indeed, the message gives the proper solution. You need a perpetual licence for PT 2019, not the up to date Artist subscription.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 11-11-2022, 10:13 PM

Thanks,

It says here ("https://my.avid.com/esd/Product/Download/2303"), regarding Pro Tools 2019.10: "Note that any active Pro Tools Subscription license will authorize this version of Pro Tools", which would indicate that a current subscription would authorize Pro Tools 2019.10. Why does it say that if it is not true?

By "current version" do you mean every new version after a specific version (and if so what version), or only each newest version of Pro Tools, or only the version that is current right now?
What is the oldest OSX version that works with a Pro Tools license subscription?

I've used 888, TDX, HD, HDX, HD Native. I don't know what "Pro Tools Studio" or "Pro Tools Artist" or "Ultimate" or "First" are. Where does one purchase a full Pro Tools 2019 Perpetual license that runs the equivalent features of what was once called "Pro Tools HD"?

Last edited by CameronAdair; 11-12-2022 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:17 AM

Ok,

I upgraded OSX to 10.15.7 and Pro Tools to 2022.10 (the current newest version of Pro Tools).

Pro Tools does not open.

Last edited by CameronAdair; 11-12-2022 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2022, 01:14 AM

I downgraded Pro Tools to the earliest OSX 10.15.7 compatible version (Pro Tools 2020.11). It opens and gives the following messages again:

"Activation Error The attempt to use Avid Link to activate resulted in an error. Please click the Next button..."
I choose to use iLok to activate.
"Select License to Activate You don't have any licenses in your account, or non of the licenses there have activations available. If you have an iLok USB device with a license activated on it, please plug it in now. You do not have any pending deliveries for the license(s) you need to authorize the software. Click here if you need to purchase a license for Pro Tools Perpetual."

Since the compatibility chart ("https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/Pro-Tools-Operating-System-Compatibility-Chart") apparently is not accurate with Pro Tools Subscriptions, what Pro Tools version that I am subscribed to works with OSX 10.15.7!?

download center with all legacy versions: "https://my.avid.com/esd/Product/Information/109"
Old 11-12-2022, 01:40 AM

Default What version of Pro Tools does a subscription activate?

Pro Tools 2022.10 is not opening. I am on OSX 10.15.7.

Does a subscription plan only activate this version?
Old 11-12-2022, 08:01 AM

Default Re: What version of Pro Tools does a subscription activate?

Please see the Licensing FAQ for how the licenses work with different versions of PT.

System Details
Old 11-12-2022, 12:08 PM

Sorry, that doesn't answer my question.

My subscription should license Pro Tools 2022.10, which is installed and not opening. It just times out. Why is this happening?
Old 11-12-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post

Indeed, the message gives the proper solution. You need a perpetual licence for PT 2019, not the up to date Artist subscription.
Why would you write this if Avid no longer sells or supports perpetual licenses?
Old 11-12-2022, 02:09 PM

I tried everything here:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Open-or-Launch