Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Fast Track Solo And Rode NT1-A Microphone Problem

I've owned three NT1-A microphones. The first one I had years ago worked fine on my Roland Quad-Capture audio interface. The past year I've used a AVID Fast Track Solo instead. I Have two different NT1-As now. The original that worked fine is gone. Both my current NT1-As have issues with the Fast Track Solo. They both make a rattling metallic ringing sound if I touch them, shake them, blow into them, get slightly loud, etc. It's near impossible to make clean recordings unless I speak softly otherwise it will make the vibrating metallic ringing sound. If I touch the mic cable, mic stand, shock mount, or even hover my hand over the mic it will begin making the ringing sound. One interesting thing I recently noticed is for a minute or so after turning on phantom power the mics function better sometimes without any ringing but after a few minutes of phantom power being on they have the issue. Is there anything I can do besides buy a new audio interface? Other condenser mics seem to work without issue like the Behringer B-1 and CAD M179 with the Fast Track Solo.

Video of problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zoQr1jddC0

Last edited by Mechacaseal; 12-08-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Fast Track Solo And Rode NT1-A Microphone Problem

sigh im screwed... ill have to save for a new interface cause idk what better mic to get. besides selling it and trying a mxl 990 =(
Old 12-08-2015, 08:04 PM

What are you monitoring this through? You may have feedback coming though a pair of headphones or simmilar. And where is the gain on the interface set to?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What are you monitoring this through? You may have feedback coming though a pair of headphones or simmilar. And where is the gain on the interface set to?
No monitoring going on. ive tried a like 15 foot xlr to move the mic far away from everything in the room and it still rings. gain low or high it still does it.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:17 PM

Gain low it still does it? At what point does it start doing it? Something is making no sense here and you need to do some careful checking. Phantom power on and off (should hear nothign). Test with an external quality preamp (and phantom power source) if you can. A faulty phantom power supply can cause these kinds of problems. Check the phantom supply voltage, ideally with an oscilloscope to see how clean it is.

Again it is very easy to accidentally have a headphone connected somewhere, not being used, and say hardware monitoring enabled that causes feedback.

Unless the microphone has been abused, I'd suspect your Fast Track Solo well before the Rode Mic, the goo thing is just about any interface you can buy is going to be better than the Fast Track. If you want advice on interfaces you should describe what you are doing/features you need and folks here can recommend some.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:45 PM

i wish i had another preamp to test i dont. i dont monitor audio. i wish i could find someone having the same problem. im prety sure when i had a at2020 for a few days it had this ringing as well but not as badly. i dont blame the mic anymore sicne it does it to two different nt1as. i cant afford a new preamp unless i sell my current one which i may do. its either that or use a different mic.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:58 PM

What preamp do you have as that would help to know.

The interface you have is not what I would choose for audio work IMNSHO as those things are not the best sounding so it can be either that, the power supply, issues with grounding the mic and ground issues in your house, the interface might be crapping out and about just about to break, that mic isn't the best in the world so i would start with listing your preamp here, try another socket in the wall and in another room, try straight into the socket if you are using a adapter for more power cords etc.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-08-2015, 11:21 PM

i use the fast track solo as the preamp lol. i cant afford a audio interface or preamp over around 50 bucks. right now im assuming the interface is the problem and some mics just are designed differently and can handle the fast track's ****ty design better since they work on it.a at2020 i had earlier had some ringing as well. not as bad as this. im prob gonna try to sell it for 50 and get another cheapo interface. i will try to use a different computer.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:32 PM

Even though that interface is a basic one it shouldn't "ring" as you described. I had a hard time to hear that sound in the video, I did hear a metallic sound but i thought that was due to the video quality.

Anyway before you go buy another cheapo interface try the power sugestions posted above and also a new cable to the mic.

These mics with that interface and for that matter other interfaces in the below 100 dollar bracket might not play together as great as one would want.

Sorry I can't give any more advice until you tried the electricity ideas.

Best of Luck!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-08-2015, 11:51 PM

just tried it on a laptop in another room. it did the same ringing ****. ill suck it up and just not touch my audio setup and put towels under it and use it gently but im gonna be working on selling the interface since shoulda bought a mxl 990. the mxl 67g i tried worked fine so did a akg d5 dynamic as well. its mainly the at2020 and nt1a doing this.