Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2022, 08:54 PM

Default Sample Rate Not Working No Matter What

After I played Pro Tools through a bluetooth speaker, it apparently changed my project's sample rate from 48k Hz to 44.1k Hz. I tried "Save Copy In" and recreating my new session's sample rate to 48k Hz, as well as creating a whole new 48k Hz session and dragging the old audio files in. Neither option worked. I checked the sample rate of the original audio files and they were 48k Hz. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or what else I can do to remedy the situation. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Sample Rate Not Working No Matter What

Have an auto save?

My guess is the original session wasn't 48 but you just thought so.

Check the audio. It's 44.1? Try a 44.1 session. Import that audio there. Does it sound right? (you said you checked... but if they are 48 files in a 48 session, and sound wrong, then there is something wrong, for sure)
Then, you know for sure it was recorded and initially set at 44.1.

I've NEVER seen a session change the stated, saved sample rate due to any IO. If I connect to a mismatched device, the program cannot proceed at all. Sessions are the most SR stuck. Not the files or interfaces.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-31-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Have an auto save?

My guess is the original session wasn't 48 but you just thought so.

Check the audio. It's 44.1? Try a 44.1 session. Import that audio there. Does it sound right? (you said you checked... but if they are 48 files in a 48 session, and sound wrong, then there is something wrong, for sure)
Then, you know for sure it was recorded and initially set at 44.1.

I've NEVER seen a session change the stated, saved sample rate due to any IO. If I connect to a mismatched device, the program cannot proceed at all. Sessions are the most SR stuck. Not the files or interfaces.
-------------------------------------

Thanks for responding.

I deleted everything and started over by importing the original multitracks (48k Hz) and it played back properly.

I think that by plugging in the bluetooth speaker, it somehow corrupted the session file's sample rate. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the habit of creating new backup sessions each time I opened one. Lesson learned! lol
Old 10-31-2022, 11:35 AM

It’d sure help if you’d post details on your system. I’m not even seeing if you’re on MAC or Windows.
If Windows, you need to make certain that your PT interface is NOT the default sound device.
Use the onboard device for all the Win stuff, and let Pro Tools have exclusive control over the interface.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
It’d sure help if you’d post details on your system. I’m not even seeing if you’re on MAC or Windows.
If Windows, you need to make certain that your PT interface is NOT the default sound device.
Use the onboard device for all the Win stuff, and let Pro Tools have exclusive control over the interface.
I have a mac book pro early 2015, Monterey v. 12.5.1, Pro Tools 2021.12 Student Perpetual License, I am working remotely and using the headphone output on the laptop.

Where would I enter my system data?
Old 10-31-2022, 12:13 PM

I have definitely experienced the same thing, where Pro Tools actually changed the sample rate of the session when changing the Playback Engine to a bluetooth speaker. The session changed to 44.1k and the audio was playing back slow (48k source files). This was about 10 minutes before a major presentation to clients. The fix for me was to create a blank session and import session data, and either turn off SRC, or force sample rate conversion pull-up by entering a specific source sample rate in the SRC settings. I can't remember off the top of my head what fixed it, as I was in a panic before the presentation. I ended up getting things working in 48k properly again and just used the speaker's wired input to get through the presentation.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiefaggioli View Post
I have a mac book pro early 2015, Monterey v. 12.5.1, Pro Tools 2021.12 Student Perpetual License, I am working remotely and using the headphone output on the laptop.

Where would I enter my system data?
One option is to put it in your signature line like I did below

From header bar click User CP > in the left column "Your Control Panel" > Settings and Options > Edit Signature

So could it be that the bluetooth speaker only operates at 44.1 and PT is simply auto matching it to be able to play back ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-31-2022, 01:41 PM

It happened for both of you on Bluetooth. Interesting that standard approach from Avid is to tell users to turn BT off for best stability.

If a Bluetooth speaker can take over as an output playback device, by forcing the session to take on a different sample rate than first set, that is a weird bug! But seeming BT is not supported/recommended, I guess unexpected results like this might happen.

That's one reason I would have never seen it. I don't have any BT speakers around.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 11-09-2022, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I have definitely experienced the same thing, where Pro Tools actually changed the sample rate of the session when changing the Playback Engine to a bluetooth speaker. The session changed to 44.1k and the audio was playing back slow (48k source files). This was about 10 minutes before a major presentation to clients. The fix for me was to create a blank session and import session data, and either turn off SRC, or force sample rate conversion pull-up by entering a specific source sample rate in the SRC settings. I can't remember off the top of my head what fixed it, as I was in a panic before the presentation. I ended up getting things working in 48k properly again and just used the speaker's wired input to get through the presentation.
I'll try this if it happens again, thanks for your reply.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:06 PM

Default Sample Rate Not Working No Matter What

It happened to me once with a plugnplay usb interface. It happened a second time with Dante Virtual Soundcard.

Pro Tools would still open the session changing the sample rate even though it recognized that the sample rates did not match. I think they’ve since fixed this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control