Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2022, 08:50 PM

Default Is it possible to have overlapping clips play simultaneously?

While comping/editing drums, theres a section that ends on a crash hit on the 1 of the beat, and the drum pattern loops back on the 1 as well. I want the crash wash to continue over while the pattern loops again. Is there a simple way to achieve this?

I have several tracks for the drums and dont want to duplicate them and record new audio tracks. Is there a way to have overlapping clips play simultaneously?
Old 10-09-2022, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to have overlapping clips play simultaneously?

I'm not aware of a way to have multiple clips play simultaneously other than a custom crossfade with an instant fade in and a very long fade out. I'm not 100% sure of the goal here so it's tough to make add'l suggestions. If it were me, I'd be duplicating the clips in the timeline with the crash cymbal included the first time but not any additional times. Or loop all drums tracks but add the cymbal-oriented tracks as overdubs underneath. It's tough to know whether that would work without hearing the isolation within each mic.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:50 AM

Can you move the edit point over to beat 3 or 4 of that first bar after the crash? Again, no way to know exactly what you're working with, just a thought.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:13 AM

Tab to the crash transient then separate & copy that portion of the clip to a new track below and place it where you want it.
You can easily place a short clip of the crash on another track and mix to taste with the fader or clip gain.

Here's a quick tip video showing a shortcut for lining up clips at the transients on separate tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRRmCTKfFJo

If it was MIDI you could layer (merge) the parts as one clip but your working with audio correct?

Also, if there are any other drum hits that occur along with the crash in the audio clip (like kick or mic bleed) you'll need to apply a high-pass filter to the clip your layering to filter out the low end when blending with the loop.
Is the crash is on it's own separate track? If it is, you can easily make short work of the task.

Hope that helps.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 10-10-2022 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm not aware of a way to have multiple clips play simultaneously other than a custom crossfade with an instant fade in and a very long fade out.
This is the usual method. Unlink fade in/out and adjust the shapes.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:32 AM

Default Is it possible to have overlapping clips play simultaneously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
This is the usual method. Unlink fade in/out and adjust the shapes.

Use the block fade shape stretched across both clips if you don’t want any fade at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-11-2022, 11:20 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, let me further explain what issue I'm trying to solve.

I have several drum multitrack passes that I am comping together to make the performance.

I have a section of the chorus where the drummer ends on a crash hit (Crash hit on beat 1/bar 1 of Verse 2), and I have a verse take which starts with no cymbal hits/wash .

Now if I just copy and paste the verse take right at Beat 1/Bar 1 of verse, the cymbal wash from the chorus take goes away and sounds unnatural, I want the cymbal wash to continue into the verse (as if the drummer played it all live).

Which is why I was wondering if you can have more than 1 clips play simultaneously on 1 track.

The only solution I could think of would be to duplicate the drum tracks, one for the chorus, and one for the verse, and send their outputs to record to new tracks, so the cymbal wash and verse would be blended in the same clip. But this is very tedious as I have 12 tracks of drums and would require 2 duplicates and routing to make the new track, and I should point out I dont want to use just the Overheads for cymbals as all the mics are picking up the cymbal bleed to a degree.

Best solution would be to re-record, but I'm trying to problem solve and make the best of what takes I have.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:34 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, let me further explain what issue I'm trying to solve.

I have several drum multitrack passes that I am comping together to make the performance.

I have a section of the chorus where the drummer ends on a crash hit (Crash hit on beat 1/bar 1 of Verse 2), and I have a verse take which starts with no cymbal hits/wash .

Now if I just copy and paste the verse take right at Beat 1/Bar 1 of verse, the cymbal wash from the chorus take goes away and sounds unnatural, I want the cymbal wash to continue into the verse (as if the drummer played it all live).

Which is why I was wondering if you can have more than 1 clips play simultaneously on 1 track.

The only solution I could think of would be to duplicate the drum tracks, one for the chorus, and one for the verse, and send their outputs to record to new tracks, so the cymbal wash and verse would be blended in the same clip. But this is very tedious as I have 12 tracks of drums and would require 2 duplicates and routing to make the new track, and I should point out I dont want to use just the Overheads for cymbals as all the mics are picking up the cymbal bleed to a degree.

Best solution would be to re-record, but I'm trying to problem solve and make the best of what takes I have.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:01 PM