Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2022, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?

Thanks for your help digiot. I was really hoping that this wasn’t going to be the case and that someone from Avid support would see this and fix it before in became an issue. I guess for Avid, the perpetual parachute is still a work in progress.
Seeing people with this same issue is why I reactivated an old perpetual license a couple of months ago. I wanted to make sure that I at least had a working copy during this time without having to activate my Ultimate.
The last time I had to submit a support ticket was under Digidesign and it was a horrible experience just trying to figure out how to send a support ticket without being charged while I was covered under a warranty. I guess I’ll have to see what happens after the grace period. Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:51 AM

Still confused on how to renew for carbon users I issued a ticket.

I think it would be beneficial to everybody to understand what the options and procedures are.

I used first the old standard protools sub (my Avid account says it's now perppetual)
I then used the Ultimate sub (expiring in Jan)

Renewing Ultimate seems fairly easy from my account (there is an active option) BUT I would like to renew the STUDIO version since I don't need all Ultimate features.

Is this an option? How should we do it?

Any input is welcome
Alberto
Ferrofish 16 I/O

www.albertolombardi.com

facebook - instagram - youtube
Old 12-20-2022, 01:22 PM
Avid

Alberto

To renew the PT Studio "parachute" subscription that came with carbon, it currently needs to be renewed via a reseller since the Carbon and associated software was technically sold to you by a reseller.

Avid is able to offer renewals easily and simply from your Avid.com account in the case that the Pro Tools license was purchased directly from Avid.

"Pro Tools | Carbon™ PT Software Renewal", part number 9938-31063-00.

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 12-21-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Alberto

To renew the PT Studio "parachute" subscription that came with carbon, it currently needs to be renewed via a reseller since the Carbon and associated software was technically sold to you by a reseller.

Avid is able to offer renewals easily and simply from your Avid.com account in the case that the Pro Tools license was purchased directly from Avid.

"Pro Tools | Carbon™ PT Software Renewal", part number 9938-31063-00.

m
Hey Mark the other day I looked in my Account and noticed that I am now able to purchase the Carbon renewal from the dropdown menu!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carbon Renewell.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-22-2022, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Hey Mark the other day I looked in my Account and noticed that I am now able to purchase the Carbon renewal from the dropdown menu!
Same here, I tried and it doesn't work.. takes you to the cart but you can't complete the operation.

I don't understand why all of this inconvenience, guys make it easier.
Ferrofish 16 I/O

www.albertolombardi.com

facebook - instagram - youtube
Old 12-22-2022, 04:47 AM

Well, only 85 posts into this thread and still a total mess that no one understands and no one can navigate.

Dominic
Old 12-23-2022, 02:29 PM

I only have a $399 Ultimate renewal option and a $199 Studio renewal option. No Carbon Renewal option is available for my Carbon as of this writing

-Mark

-
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 12-24-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange View Post
I only have a $399 Ultimate renewal option and a $199 Studio renewal option. No Carbon Renewal option is available for my Carbon as of this writing

-Mark

-
Did you ever have the original Pro Tools/Carbon Parachute SUBSCRIPTION license in your account ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-25-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Well, only 85 posts into this thread and still a total mess that no one understands and no one can navigate.

Dominic
Humm ? I think that is not actually entirely accurate. I think some are confused and some are not..
WELL in all honestly I think I understand what is going on BUT maybe I am just delusional

I think there are two aspects to the confusion

One created by AVID ,, and one created by the customers themselves

The one created by AVID : is likely them changing a couple things in both options and nomenclature..

Starting with the initial offering with a Carbon purchase of a PT Regular" 1 year SUBSCRIPTION license ( that had the ability to convert to a PT regular SUBSCRIPTION license to a PERPETUAL license which they labeled "Perpetual Parachute"

Also at that initial offering (if one already had a Perpetual PT license Reg or HD,,,, (AND a current annual "Updates and Support plan" ) one could forgo the the Parachute license altogether and instead get a one year extension on their current "Update and Support plan" ............make sense so far ?

Also at some point Avid decided to change the name of a Pro Tools HD license to Pro Tools Ultimate

Then Avid decided to offer an additional PT Ultimate license to those purchasing a Carbon and retroactively to those who had previously purchased Carbon

Then they decided to change the name of PT Regular (actually just called Pro Tools) to Pro Tools Studio.

Then they dropped the PT Reg. "Parachute" altogether and NOW offer Carbon with a Perpetual PT Ultimate license with a 1 year "Upgrade and Support plan"

AND NOW it also seems that Avid does not have a working link for people who still have the original Parachute license, to Renew it .

AND for some unknown reason AVID is now calling those old Parachute license the "Carbon License" AS IF it were attached to a Carbon automatically WHICH IT IS NOT because if you never chose the Parachute license then you will not have the Carbon License option showing in your account as a Renewal option

OK now for how the customers are causing confusion (And I have stated this multiple times before in many such threads )

#1 for some reason people cannot seem to understand the difference between an annual SUBSCRIPTION license RENEWAL and an annual Updates and Support plan RENEWAL
# 2 People also (either through ignorance or laziness) misstate the name of what they have or what they are asking about --- And also they keep calling the " annual Updates/Support plan a SUBSCRIPTION.
#3 OR they do not use the actual full name of their product when asking for help

a perfect example is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange
Now only because he at least gave the prices was I able to tell he was actually talking about the Ultimate 1 year Updates and Support plan "Renewal " and the PT Studio 1 year Updates and Support plan Renewal as opposed to SUBSCRIPTION renewals

And he also did not make it clear as to weather or not he ever had the Parachute license (which is now also being called the "Carbon license"

So I think the both AVID and the customers have conspired multilaterally to cause the confusion

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-25-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-25-2022, 03:32 PM

Thanks for asking - I own two perpetual licenses (one Ultimate and one Studio) that were owned long before buying the Carbon.

I purchased my Carbon used. Prior to executing the sale Support told the original owner no Avid software was allowed to be transferred to me as the used Carbon purchaser. This was later proven inaccurate, but in spite of their in-house inaccuracies, nothing has ever been presented to me by Avid.
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys