Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-30-2022, 07:48 AM

Default iLok License Manager in VM Hyper-V

Hello,

I have a problem detecting iLok USB with iLok License Manager in Hyper-V virtual machine natively, is there any solution? We are using Windows Server with Hyper-V.

Thank you
Regards
Old 05-30-2022, 09:42 AM

Default Re: iLok License Manager in VM Hyper-V

What exactly are you doing and why? You are trying to run Pro Tools in a VM? That is not going to work well given how demanding a near real-time application Pro Tools is.

ILok has all sorts of issues running in VMs, deliberately crippled as an anti-theft mechanism and very lazily/poorly done and Pace/iLok does not seem to care when I have talked to them about this. Pity it would be useful for developers and similar folks as a test environment. ILok cloud licensing might work in a VM, don’t know/have not tried it. But again this is not somewhere you should ever be running Pro Tools in.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-30-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:50 PM

Hi,

No, we need to use a vm as a license server, not as a client. We have Pro Tools on Mac

This worked with VMWare but we need this with Microsoft Hyper-V.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:05 PM

Gotcha. You likely need to contact iLok/Pace support, it's unlikely an Avid issue and I suspect not one many folks here would ever try.

---

And I'll go to my grave making this correction It's VMware. Capital "V". Capital "M". "ware". It was "VMWare" the day we launched the company at Demo '99 in San Diego, it lasted exactly one day and we had to change it to stop people asking what "vee.. um.. wuh... are" means.