Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-08-2020, 02:02 PM

Default Re: So, no renewal. We stay at 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
And I don't believe Steinberg are stupid traders who miss the boat.

Speaking of the "devil"....Nuendo 11 (to be released soon), will gain some more post production users, that got sick of Avid's BS and extortions.
With the Dolby Atmos, ADR new features etc, Steinberg definitely won't miss the boat.
Some time ago, they lowered the price to £860, which makes it more affordable than ProTools Ultimate, in every form, of subscription or perpetual.
No annual plan crap, free updates until the next release, which will be at least 2 years from now.

Have talked to many colleagues during the lockdown and when the discussion went to DAWs and especially ProTools, all of them had a bad word to express....be it for the QT export issue in Catalina, other bugs or the "omitted functionality" like side-chain ADC issue....you get the picture. People are not getting in return what they pay for....especially the PT Ultimate users....every one of them felt that way, meaning that they are not willing to pay Avid indefinite.

Times have changed, COVID-19 had a massive hit in the audio industry, people lost revenues and expenses had to be covered during that time, which led to new depts and so on. The repercussions of this will be more evident in 2021.

Cheers!
Old 12-08-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Speaking of the "devil"....Nuendo 11 (to be released soon), will gain some more post production users, that got sick of Avid's BS and extortions.
With the Dolby Atmos, ADR new features etc, Steinberg definitely won't miss the boat.
Some time ago, they lowered the price to £860, which makes it more affordable than ProTools Ultimate, in every form, of subscription or perpetual.
No annual plan crap, free updates until the next release, which will be at least 2 years from now.

Have talked to many colleagues during the lockdown and when the discussion went to DAWs and especially ProTools, all of them had a bad word to express....be it for the QT export issue in Catalina, other bugs or the "omitted functionality" like side-chain ADC issue....you get the picture. People are not getting in return what they pay for....especially the PT Ultimate users....every one of them felt that way, meaning that they are not willing to pay Avid indefinite.

Times have changed, COVID-19 had a massive hit in the audio industry, people lost revenues and expenses had to be covered during that time, which led to new depts and so on. The repercussions of this will be more evident in 2021.

Cheers!
I see you have Console 1. It can't be easy with PT! I have both consoles and got discouraged. Another stupidity of Avid. With Cubase, it's incredible. A charm. Okay, I'll stop with Steinberg, it's not too ethical to talk about it here. We're just sad for Pro Tools, which at its core is (was) a wonder.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 12-08-2020, 02:49 PM

Nuendo/Cubase feel clunky to me. When they went away from VST they lost me because I had already started working using Pro Tools. I can see some advantages if music was the only thing someone needs to do. But working with picture no way. It's just too rigid for me. Last Cubase I had was 4. As far as I can tell Cubase is to Nuendo what Standard is to Ultimate. I need surround capability and to work with multiple videos per session. Running 7.1.2 right now about to make it 7.1.4. I don't even know where other DAWs stand in the immersive space.

And for whomever referred to me as an ideal client for Avid, I disagree. The companies I work for are. I feel obligated to keep my personal system equivalent to other rooms I may work in, in some cases my capabilities are beyond those. But that's on me. I put together my first TDM system on the cheap and bought Pro Tools for $200 (v7.3) then upgraded to 8 for $250. Those were the days when you could actually get support on the phone. Now I can but it costs me $400 a year. Which honestly has come in handy for the first time in years recently. I am not happy about the subscription scheme but when you do business there are always costs associated with that and sometimes you need to pay the cost to do business. It is a bit mafioso but I use this stuff because it works and I really know it.

Last edited by CygnusX-1Bk2; 12-08-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:22 PM

“We're just sad for Pro Tools, which at its core is (was) a wonder”

However "Nuendo/Cubase feel clunky to me......."Last Cubase I had was 4"
That’s like saying LE was clunky...

BTW I hesitantly renew Perpetual not subscribing because my software should remain working and idealy upgrade as needed
Old 12-08-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
I see you have Console 1. It can't be easy with PT! I have both consoles and got discouraged. Another stupidity of Avid. With Cubase, it's incredible. A charm. Okay, I'll stop with Steinberg, it's not too ethical to talk about it here. We're just sad for Pro Tools, which at its core is (was) a wonder.
I don't use Console 1 with ProTools, because it is so clunky to use. I use it in Studio One 5 and enjoy every minute with it. The Console 1 integration is perfect and really shines there.
Also (at last) i can use the Artist Mix in S.O.5 and have faders as well now. Wish Presonus adds Eucon support in the future, for all the benefits that brings, will be awesome to my workflow...Moving away from PT...slowly but steady.

Cheers!
Old 12-08-2020, 03:46 PM

No I included both since Nuendo and Cubase are built on the same engine. Pro Tools LE, like the "standard" edition is now was the same app as the full edition with limitations placed on it, hence Limited Edition.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclash View Post
It's very unlikely that any Pro Tools accident could result in major property damage, grievous bodily harm, or death. So that's not a super apt analogy.
Agreed. This analogy makes no sense.

My personal experience with Avid is similar to a major bank I recently dealt with. Very little concern for loyal customers.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
I have never despised a companies business practices and customer philosophy more than Avids.
You and me both. As well as a lot of other Avid customers. The question is - what is Avid's problem? Is it upper management?
Old 12-08-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Nuendo/Cubase feel clunky to me. When they went away from VST they lost me because I had already started working using Pro Tools. I can see some advantages if music was the only thing someone needs to do. But working with picture no way. It's just too rigid for me. Last Cubase I had was 4. As far as I can tell Cubase is to Nuendo what Standard is to Ultimate. I need surround capability and to work with multiple videos per session. Running 7.1.2 right now about to make it 7.1.4. I don't even know where other DAWs stand in the immersive space.

And for whomever referred to me as an ideal client for Avid, I disagree. The companies I work for are. I feel obligated to keep my personal system equivalent to other rooms I may work in, in some cases my capabilities are beyond those. But that's on me. I put together my first TDM system on the cheap and bought Pro Tools for $200 (v7.3) then upgraded to 8 for $250. Those were the days when you could actually get support on the phone. Now I can but it costs me $400 a year. Which honestly has come in handy for the first time in years recently. I am not happy about the subscription scheme but when you do business there are always costs associated with that and sometimes you need to pay the cost to do business. It is a bit mafioso but I use this stuff because it works and I really know it.
I didn't mean to hurt you. I understand what you are saying. You also show that Avid exaggerates, but that you accept the situation with pragmatism. It is OK for me. That said, Cubase-Nuendo would be worth a detour, at least out of curiosity. But changing DAWs, which I did myself, is not recommended on the work side. It really is not a very funny adventure. With several Daw, we win a little and we lose a lot.

• Etc.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
I don't use Console 1 with ProTools, because it is so clunky to use. I use it in Studio One 5 and enjoy every minute with it. The Console 1 integration is perfect and really shines there.
Also (at last) i can use the Artist Mix in S.O.5 and have faders as well now. Wish Presonus adds Eucon support in the future, for all the benefits that brings, will be awesome to my workflow...Moving away from PT...slowly but steady.

Cheers!
We are in a similar situation.

• Etc.