Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Logic 9.1 just went 64 Bit!

would someone care to explain where exactly the benefits and caveats of 64bits are lying?

besides RAM..

And Snowy boots into 32 bit kernal by default.

Somehow it seems to me that Snowy is a Confucius... 32 bit here but 64 bit there.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM

To launch Snow Leopard into 64 bit mode you have to hold down the numbers 6 and 4. It will then boot into 64 bit. Logic 9.1 by default launched 32 bit as well. You would probably have to boot into SL in 64 bit and then it will change to 64 bit for Logic. I also know that you can open the info on the program and change the way the program loads.

We won't see a PT 64 for a long while...that's my guess.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
would someone care to explain where exactly the benefits and caveats of 64bits are lying?

besides RAM..

And Snowy boots into 32 bit kernal by default.

Somehow it seems to me that Snowy is a Confucius... 32 bit here but 64 bit there.
It's just like Windows. You can run a 32 bit app in a 64 bit os, but that app and anything within it will then be limited to 32 bit memory addressing.

64 bit is primarily about RAM, which to us means more VI's and more stable software.

On windows, a brilliant guy named "J" developed an app called jbridge, which basically separates a VST plugin from it's host app so that the plugin runs as a separate process:

http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

AFAIK nothing exists like this yet for mac, other than possibly VE pro(which if I remember right advertises this ability, but I haven't tried it or heard any feedback on if this feature actually works yet).

Anyways, looking at the list of things that Logic can't do in 64 bit, they still have work to do.

What is not clear is how a 32 bit AU plugin behaves within 64 bit Logic. This is the magic question we need answered.

One of 3 things will happen:

1. It won't work, because it isn't 64 bit. Compatibility problem of doom.
2. It will work, but will limit Logic to 32 bit RAM addressing... thus defeating the purpose of having a 64 bit Logic.
3. It will work and be limited to 32 bit RAM addressing itself, but not affect the limitations of Logic's 64 bit memory addressing. Basically, Logic would be doing what jbridge does on PC's, separating a 32 bit plugin from it's host so they are seen as separate processes.

Number 3 is what we need. Otherwise it'll a long wait for all of the plugin vendors to catch up.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post

Wonder what Avid's response will be and how long we have to wait?
You don't have to wait any longer !! Avid has stopped to support Logic/TDM users on snow leopard, shame, PT has been degraded to a drum recording multitrack at our studios (most of the new generation of engineers/programmers don't use protools, only the old school engineers and those coming out of the old school training schemes)... which is a shame as the next move would be to sell the HD3 accel system (we hope that TDM plugs hold some value as there are over 30k invested in them over here ...)
Avid, please do something before it's too late ...
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblack View Post
You don't have to wait any longer !! Avid has stopped to support Logic/TDM users on snow leopard, shame, PT has been degraded to a drum recording multitrack at our studios (most of the new generation of engineers/programmers don't use protools, only the old school engineers and those coming out of the old school training schemes)... which is a shame as the next move would be to sell the HD3 accel system (we hope that TDM plugs hold some value as there are over 30k invested in them over here ...)
Avid, please do something before it's too late ...
I wonder if Avid was doing that to get early looks at Logic for testing purposes, and now by sacrificing that they will be in the dark about what's going on over there.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 PM

I saw it has native support and it said that you can click on the icon and under info you unmark the 32bit option and it boots into 64 by default. i don't think enough plugs are 64 bit yet to run in full 64 bit. to my understanding you can run in 32 bit on a 64 bit mac and just uncheck the 32bit box and it will open up and work in both 32 and 64bit.

can anyone verify this?

also i'm about to upgrade to snow leopard finally...does anyone know if the latest protools has audio core drivers for le that are compatible with logic 9? i'm still at 10.5.8 just to be safe as i have a pretty smooth setup with a api lunchbox and rosetta to a digi 002 for my home studio.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 PM

Toolbox, how it works is that there is unlimited RAM accessible to Logic itself (and the OS and whatnot), and there is a single 4 GB allocation for all the 32 bit third party instruments and effects.

This is likely how it will remain until the third party vendors catch up, which will likely be soon. Tools and the others will be along with 64 bit directly, one always has to follow the other- Tools will likely take longer than the others because they always take longer with everything.

Snow Leopard boots into 64 bit at will. Some computers, such as my laptop, only have a 32 bit EFI, but Snow Leopard and Logic can run at 64 bits even on it, but there's no point, since it caps out at 3 GBs of RAM anyway, so there are no benefits to being 64 bit.

And I have to say I am very impressed with 64 bit Logic so far. I tried to slam the thing with a project I have which has 35 audio tracks, running at 96k, and I put linear phase EQ on each track. I also sprinkled about four convolution reverbs and a handful of other plug ins, and this all flowed without a hitch. This is not what would have happened before.

And frankly, I hadn't gone above 2.5 GBs of RAM use (real use, not virtual memory). This tells me that Logic is streamlined under the hood somewhat, maybe because it doesn't need to rely on virtual memory as much anymore. Anyway, it makes mixing a breeze...
Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Downloading logic 9.1 now. It seems there's not that much of an advantage to running it in 64bit mode and several disadvantages. I'll wait on that part.

To the guy 2 posts up ???? All the guys coming out of the audio schools right now use pro tools as the number one recording software. Logic is nowhere near the audio editor and mixing environment that PT is and without a major overhaul never will be. Now as far as midi goes, it's another story.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Oh, it booted into 32 bit by default for me- but I put it to 64 bit. So you do have control. It also keeps the older Logic 9 on the system, and I also have 8 should I want it. I don't know about the audio school part- and I'm in one. I know Tools and Logic, and prefer Logic for everything. The "Tools for audio/ Logic for MIDI" thing has been repeated to death, but I don't find it to be true.

And as far as there being no advantages to 64 bit, if you don't have more than 4 GBs of RAM, then there aren't any, that's true. If you can go higher, then there is. Once the third party plugs are caught up there will also be more advantages.

But the main advantage will be with virtual instruments. This is where the killer application will be. The rest is just bonus.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:26 PM

Yes djkiller,
That's correct. Switchable via 'Get Info' 64 or 32 bit. In 32bit mode it behaves as it did before, so no problem with plugin compatibility, but no memory benefit either, but a pile of bug fixes.
When you open in 64bit mode, the non 64bit plugins (most of them at the moment) are opened via bridging software (audio unit bridge) for the time being.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01