Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 10:17 AM

Default 3 SIMPLE questions

Sorry to be new. I have Sonar4 installed on my machine and have learned to use it quite well.
I have made the move to pro tools, and I have some questions, that need answering before I can get anywhere.
I have a project up. I imported all the audio tracks as they were recorded in sonar.

First Problem. Why is it that when I turn down a fader, the meters do not respond to the new volume change? Whats the point of having meters if they do not respond to your fader adjustments?

Second Problem. How can I get my screen to follow the "shuttle" Im not sure that is even the term. The line that scrolls over the audio when it is playing. I need my screen to chase this line.

Third Problem. I exported a stereo bass track already. Imported it onto a Stereo Track. I now realize that this stereo track should just be a mono track. What can I do?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: 3 SIMPLE questions

Quote:
Sorry to be new. I have Sonar4 installed on my machine and have learned to use it quite well.
I have made the move to pro tools, and I have some questions, that need answering before I can get anywhere.
I have a project up. I imported all the audio tracks as they were recorded in sonar.

First Problem. Why is it that when I turn down a fader, the meters do not respond to the new volume change? Whats the point of having meters if they do not respond to your fader adjustments?

Second Problem. How can I get my screen to follow the "shuttle" Im not sure that is even the term. The line that scrolls over the audio when it is playing. I need my screen to chase this line.

Third Problem. I exported a stereo bass track already. Imported it onto a Stereo Track. I now realize that this stereo track should just be a mono track. What can I do?
1. meters can be set to pre or post fader
2. RTFM... You have the option (Sorry, no session open here, so I don't have the menu picks at hand)
3. all audio files are mono in PTLE. Just create a mono audio track and in the region list, expand the stereo file and drag only one of the mono takes into the mono audio track.

Really, you need to get familiar with the interface and the menus. PTLE may be intuative, but you will get some very bad habits going if you don't know what's available to you.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:57 AM

Problem One solved
Problem two remains. I cannot find this anywhere!
Problem three half solved. How can I select ONE of the mono files from the STEREO track, and drag it down to my MONO track? When I grab the track it selects both channels (left and right)

thanx for your help!!!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:29 AM

SimpleNatureSpirit is right, you really need to take some time with the reference guide. It is available from the help menu and browsing through it would answer all three of the questions that you have asked.

You also neglected to tell us which version of the software you are using.

Information about scrolling options can be found on page 241 of the 6.4 guide and page 237 of the 6.7 guide:
"Pro Tools offers the following options for how it
scrolls the contents of the Edit window during
playback and recording. Choose Operations >
Scroll Options and select one of the following
from the submenu:

Page Scroll During Playback
The playback cursor
moves across the Edit window, indicating the
playback location. When the right edge of the
Edit window is reached, its entire contents are
scrolled, and the playback cursor continues
moving from the left edge of the window."

Information about the regions list (and how to select one side of a stereo audio region) can be found on page 220 of the 6.4guide and page 217 of the 6.7 guide. Basically, the stereo region can be expanded to show both parts, L and R, by clicking on the small triangle next to it and then you can select only one side (mono track) to drag into your mono track. (Though, you may actually want to consider re-recording the bass track as mono)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-15-2005, 11:38 AM

well, there´s a lasy people to your third q,
open two mono tracks, and just drag your stereo into those two,
delete one of them, you couldn´t do it before, because you only open
one mono track.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:35 PM

etherealproducer ,

To your second problem, just as above..set "page scroll during playback" in preferences. And, read the manual !
For the stereo bass track ;
Why is it stereo in the first place ? Are your pickups split ? using a stereo effect ?
The answer will dictate how that bass should be moved to a mono track..
-If it's only an effect like chorus, harmonizer, etc..see if you can locate an original "dry" track and import that.
-If you are stuck with it...either leave it till the final mix, or bounce it to a new mono destination track.

happy tooling,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring