Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Exclamation pitch change

in the old recorders we could change the speed of everything which would make the audio transpose to a different key, can you do that in pro tools? change the whole thing to record a vocal then change it back once they are now able to reach the key??
Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Re: pitch change

Yes, check out the Reference Manual section about the Elastic Audio Vari-Speed option. Works just like changing the speed of a tape machine.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM

Kemo,

Varispeed is what you're talking about, and yes you can in PT, but only with a Sync I/O, which means you have to have a card based system. Raw vanilla PT without card hardware, it's not possible.

I use it ALL the time for this sort of thing. But then I'm an old timer and used to work this way with the tape machines too (help the singer hit the high note in the chorus. Do the ridiculously high and low Bohemian Rhapsody BV stacks ).

Hope that helps.

Steve Bush
www.music180.com/pros/5887

2 x Systems: MacPro 4.1 (Nehalem) 2.26 8 Core, OSX 10.6.8, PT10.2HD, 14 Gig RAM, PCIe HD3, 192's, Sync I/O, Midi I/O.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM

Kemo,

Just remembered, you CAN do half speed recording (not the same as varispeed exactly, but could be useful to you). Check it out in the manual.

CW. The only time I've ever engaged the Elastic varispeed, it's made absolutely no sense to me, except possibly for special FX use. But I'm intrigued now wondering if you're right though. Have you used it to pitch a whole track down (for example) to record the high part over? Is that really how it could be used? Surely that would mean turning every active track in the whole session into Elastic, which is often not very practical in my sessions. Be brilliant if this is how it could work though, coz I'd have definitely missed a trick there.

Cheers all.

Steve Bush

2 x Systems: MacPro 4.1 (Nehalem) 2.26 8 Core, OSX 10.6.8, PT10.2HD, 14 Gig RAM, PCIe HD3, 192's, Sync I/O, Midi I/O.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM

You can alter pitch of your music with plug-ins like Serato "Pitch 'n Time". There are subtle artifacts involved though.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Kemo,

Just remembered, you CAN do half speed recording (not the same as varispeed exactly, but could be useful to you). Check it out in the manual.

CW. The only time I've ever engaged the Elastic varispeed, it's made absolutely no sense to me, except possibly for special FX use. But I'm intrigued now wondering if you're right though. Have you used it to pitch a whole track down (for example) to record the high part over? Is that really how it could be used? Surely that would mean turning every active track in the whole session into Elastic, which is often not very practical in my sessions. Be brilliant if this is how it could work though, coz I'd have definitely missed a trick there.

Cheers all.

Steve Bush

Hi Steve,
I played with it for one song and it was a bit of a pain to Vari-Speed each track. If I did it again, I'd probably use another session with just a stereo rough mix track as a guide. Then when the Vari-Speed tracks are done, import them into the original session.

The biggest complaint I have about Vari-Speed, is that it's all tempo based, that is, by changing the tempo of the session, the tracks' speed and pitch change. So you have to do a bit of math to figure out what tempo to use to change the pitch up or down however many steps.

Not sure about having to use a Sync I/O as the session I used Vari-Speed in was on a pc using non-HD Pro Tools. I assumed you could do the same thing though on a Mac non-HD Pro Tools system - I'll have to try and let you know.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM

ok yea i used the varispeed worked like a charm, had to change all tracks to ticks and add them to varispeed instead of the other settings worked perfect though.. thanks guys