Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2021, 01:46 AM

Default 2021.6 Instrument Track DSP mode.

It’s kind of frustrating that Instrument Tracks containing a VI plug-in can’t be put into DSP mode. In HDX “classic” mode it worked. I don’t see the difference between streaming audio from a virtual instrument into the HDX mixer from streaming an audio audio track into DSP. Both originate natively. Does anyone know why this is the case?

The odd thing is that Instrument Tracks with returns from multiple output VIs, specifically VE Pro, can be put into DSP mode which is kind of interesting!

So could the first plug-in in the chain, as in a virtual instrument, get DSP safe mode for VIs in future?

Glad to see that Instrument Tracks with a physical hardware input can also be put into DSP mode for low latency input from hardware synths etc.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:43 AM

Default Re: 2021.6 Instrument Track DSP mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
It’s kind of frustrating that Instrument Tracks containing a VI plug-in can’t be put into DSP mode. In HDX “classic” mode it worked. I don’t see the difference between streaming audio from a virtual instrument into the HDX mixer from streaming an audio audio track into DSP. Both originate natively. Does anyone know why this is the case?
I think it helps to see DSP Mode as a way to reduce latency when monitoring from hardware inputs (by providing a DSP mixer path for those inputs and their dependents), rather than a way of offloading processing to DSPs, even though that is possible with audio tracks.

If you want the old behaviour you can always turn Hybrid Engine off
Old 06-27-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I think it helps to see DSP Mode as a way to reduce latency when monitoring from hardware inputs (by providing a DSP mixer path for those inputs and their dependents), rather than a way of offloading processing to DSPs, even though that is possible with audio tracks.

If you want the old behaviour you can always turn Hybrid Engine off
That’s the thing though, I want a low latency monitoring path for VIs at high buffer settings, not just for hardware inputs! It’s not about offloading DSP

For me the problem with the old behaviour is the 256 voice limit with a large composing template!
Old 06-27-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
That’s the thing though, I want a low latency monitoring path for VIs at high buffer settings, not just for hardware inputs! It’s not about offloading DSP

For me the problem with the old behaviour is the 256 voice limit with a large composing template!
This can't happen unless companies start making DSP Virtual Instruments

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-27-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This can't happen unless companies start making DSP Virtual Instruments
Why not though? Let’s say you were punching in on an audio track that was in DSP mode, (not even tried it yet but I presume you can!) Playback of audio is coming from the native world and streaming into DSP until you punch in and then you monitor the track input. In other words, the audio playback is originating natively and being piped to the DSP until you punch in.

So why can’t a native VI pipe to DSP in the same way an audio track can? Separate/individual outputs of a VI can go DSP so what is the distinction between those and the audio coming out of the VI on the track it’s actually instantiated on.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Why not though? Let’s say you were punching in on an audio track that was in DSP mode, (not even tried it yet but I presume you can!) Playback of audio is coming from the native world and streaming into DSP until you punch in and then you monitor the track input. In other words, the audio playback is originating natively and being piped to the DSP until you punch in.
The existing recorded audio (or indeed MIDI) isn't the issue, because Pro Tools can read that as far ahead of time as it needs to. Instead, it is the punching in. With a VI you are always subject to the host buffer size; with an audio track in input/record fed by hardware, you can short cut through the DSP mixer so it never hits the CPU.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:26 PM

This thread may help, see post 8.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-27-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
The existing recorded audio (or indeed MIDI) isn't the issue, because Pro Tools can read that as far ahead of time as it needs to. Instead, it is the punching in. With a VI you are always subject to the host buffer size; with an audio track in input/record fed by hardware, you can short cut through the DSP mixer so it never hits the CPU.
I understand that. What I don’t get is that an Instrument Track that is getting its input from a native VI can actually be put in DSP mode. I can record enable that track (or select it if MIDI thru is set to last selected) and play the native VI, even though the track is in DSP mode!