How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2017, 03:51 AM

Default Ableton Live Rewired

Hey guys,

I almost put this in the Cubase and Pro Tools thread, but realized it was way OT.

Does anyone here run Live in tandem with PT? I realize Live can be a powerful production tool and I do like its uncluttered look, but haven't really experimented with it.

How good / easy is Live's midi? Can any users explain their Live / PT workflow? Thanks.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Ableton Live Rewired

Bump, anyone? No Live users/
Old 06-06-2017, 12:18 PM

I like Ableton Live a lot. It's got some great midi and audio effects and is awesome for sound design. I think the best way is to find some videos on youtube and play around with it. I prefer midi editing in pro tools out of habit but sometimes I will throw all my midi tracks in Live after editing is nearly done. Editing midi in live is not the end of the world, just a bit different.

I've run live in rewire and it works fine but you can only slave Live to PT. Also you can't use any vst's either in rewire slave mode- only Ableton native effects. You can't route audio from PT to Live's audio effects, you have to bounce the audio track from pt and import into to live. That got really annoying for me so I will just use one or the other.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
I like Ableton Live a lot. It's got some great midi and audio effects and is awesome for sound design. I think the best way is to find some videos on youtube and play around with it. I prefer midi editing in pro tools out of habit but sometimes I will throw all my midi tracks in Live after editing is nearly done. Editing midi in live is not the end of the world, just a bit different.

I've run live in rewire and it works fine but you can only slave Live to PT. Also you can't use any vst's either in rewire slave mode- only Ableton native effects. You can't route audio from PT to Live's audio effects, you have to bounce the audio track from pt and import into to live. That got really annoying for me so I will just use one or the other.
Hi Glenjb, thanks for the input! It's a shame you can't run vst's in rewire slave mode. That was one of the possibilities I was looking at. Also that you can't pipe audio from PT to take advantage of some of Live's more unusual effects. When you do use Live, do you do everything in there and import back into PT?