Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-21-2022, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Flex Renaming Back To Ultimate

Yes, I quite agree with the notions expressed here!
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 11-22-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Appears there is no difference for those of us on the Annual Update/Support renewal plan still $399 a year
What exactly are you taking about?

I'm on the Ultimate plan from last year, paid with BF discount, and yes, I was migrated to Flex automatically.

But I don't have a renewal coming for $399. If I let it auto-renew or try to renew it manually, it will be $599.

I was waiting for this year's BF to renew, but there's no discount offer on Flex/Ultimate this year.

I'm going to let that expire and get a subscription for Pro Tools Studio instead, which is just $199 with the current discount. I was paying for Ultimate for the track count and the sorround channels, but that's all now in the Studio plan, so I really don't even need Ultimate anymore.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''
Old 11-22-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
What exactly are you taking about?

I'm on the Ultimate plan from last year, paid with BF discount, and yes, I was migrated to Flex automatically.

But I don't have a renewal coming for $399. If I let it auto-renew or try to renew it manually, it will be $599.

I was waiting for this year's BF to renew, but there's no discount offer on Flex/Ultimate this year.

I'm going to let that expire and get a subscription for Pro Tools Studio instead, which is just $199 with the current discount. I was paying for Ultimate for the track count and the sorround channels, but that's all now in the Studio plan, so I really don't even need Ultimate anymore.
Simple I am talking about exactly what I said ::
For those of who have stayed current with our Ultimate Perpetual License NOTHING has changed the 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan RENEWAL is $399

Perhaps it just a second language issue. BUT There isn't anything called an "Ultimate plan", from last year or any other year...

There are only two types of license situations and they are completely different situations ::

There is the annual renewal fee of a Current Perpetual License = 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan RENEWAL = $399

OR there is the Ultimate annual SUBSCRIPTION (which did switch to the name Flex but is now switched back and called Ultimate again ) and is now Priced @ $599

IF you do not have a RENEWAL of Update/Support Plan option in your account, AND the name of what ever you did last year,, switched to the name "Flex"----- Then it was a SUBSCRIPTION that you purchased last year and was NOT a RENEWAL of the Perpetual license Annual Software Support/Upgrade Plan and probably why you do not know what I was talking about .

As you can see in my account I have two options I can renew my current "Perpetual license" Update and Support Plan for $399 (RED arrow ) Which has been the same price for a number of years now and has not changed. And is what I was "talking about"

Or I could purchase a 1 year SUBSCRIPTION for $599 (GREEN arrow) which sounds like what you are talking about. (Which is not a Perpetual license but is simply a 1 year RENTAL of the Pro Tools Ultimate software)

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-22-2022 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Auer View Post
I've been struggling with a Avid Support conversation for years about one of those issues (a big one btw: that re-recording through an Aux track wrote the audio with a delay while recording from the same input directly to an audio track didn't)....
There was another thread on this that I responded to with a video on why I don’t think this is a bug (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418704&page=4) I don’t want to derail this thread, but my post is #34 and may have some insights with this issue.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-23-2022, 02:59 PM

Did anyone listen to the podcast at the bottom of the Pro Tools Expert article linked in the original post? It actually sounded quite promising to me. They said that they have really beefed up their development team and we should start seeing results of that as we head into this next year. It sounds like Silicon is right around the corner. Script editing will be integrated for Pro Tools Ultimate in the near future and that we will see quite a bit of music production improvements in the upcoming year. They hint at a nonlinear way of creating music which made me think of an “Ableton Live” type integration that might be coming (like Logic has done).

They mention that they plan to be more responsive to bugs and regular updates. They dropped the price of both the yearly Ultimate Subscription and reinstatement plans.

Overall, I got really good vibes from this interview and I have hope that Avid might get back on the right track. Time will tell.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-25-2022, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
We are audio engineers. It is relatively easy to keep us happy. Kill the bugs, and focus on bringing value and improvement to the core product. Ain't rocket science!
Couldn't have been said better. Period.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Did anyone listen to the podcast at the bottom of the Pro Tools Expert article linked in the original post? It actually sounded quite promising to me. They said that they have really beefed up their development team and we should start seeing results of that as we head into this next year. It sounds like Silicon is right around the corner. Script editing will be integrated for Pro Tools Ultimate in the near future and that we will see quite a bit of music production improvements in the upcoming year. They hint at a nonlinear way of creating music which made me think of an “Ableton Live” type integration that might be coming (like Logic has done).

They mention that they plan to be more responsive to bugs and regular updates. They dropped the price of both the yearly Ultimate Subscription and reinstatement plans.

Overall, I got really good vibes from this interview and I have hope that Avid might get back on the right track. Time will tell.

Ah crap. I think I may have to actually listen to that one. I never have time to casually listen to bros faff on in videos or podcasts. I read about 5x faster. But this one looks like a must-absorb.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 11-30-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I'm not losing track of anything...
Apologies for the delayed response, I've been busy and not had time to do forums... On re-reading my post, I realise I may have appeared to be dismissive which wasn't my intention. I merely tried to highlight some of the positive recent developments:
  • ARA: I've not used it much yet but it's good that it has finally been added
  • Aux I/O helps to integrate other audio apps; imo it is useful for Dolby Atmos workflows and whilst not as good as an integrated renderer, I hope this will happen soon!
  • Shortcuts preferences have been added

However, I agree with several of the points you and others have made and there's definitely scope for improvement. Overall, I think it is fair to say they have an issue with how to engage with their diverse customer base. I was fortunate to be invited to one of their Customer Association events. It felt like they were genuinely trying to engage and address issues, and I was asked to give feedback and raise concerns. If you can I would recommend to try and engage through those channels (even if it may seem difficult to access the right people). I suppose this also raises another point about how a company of this scale engages with users - in my experience, forums and social media are not very productive. It's good this web forum exists, but I'm not sure how much of these posts actually make it in front of the desk of people who need to see it.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoffset View Post
It's good this web forum exists, but I'm not sure how much of these posts actually make it in front of the desk of people who need to see it.
It's a choice by Avid. Eddie is brilliant on the EuCon section. Marianna is brilliant for Media Composer. For Pro Tools, for whatever reason Avid have chosen not to have any staff member listen to what the global community is saying.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 11-30-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
It's a choice by Avid. Eddie is brilliant on the EuCon section. Marianna is brilliant for Media Composer. For Pro Tools, for whatever reason Avid have chosen not to have any staff member listen to what the global community is saying.
Well that is a shame, and seems like a very odd choice to leave PT out!