Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 02-09-2021, 07:23 PM

Default Excessive Noise in Talkback

Firmware has helped with the distortion/level concerns. Fan noise still there. Hope a solution comes up for fan noise.

Suggestion, and maybe this is already possible: If AVID has the ability to allow us to utilize one of the other first 24 inputs with an external TB mic, and INCLUDE that input as 'switchable' when clicking the TB button, that would be a nice solution to have an external mic in use for TB.

That way, when we're using all 24 inputs, yeah, let's use the built in mic. However, when tracking smaller ensembles or individuals, allow us to toggle the TB system over to input 24 (in i/o settings or other setup page) and use an external mic for an intimate and better sounding TB mic.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:49 PM
Avid

Default Re: Carbon internal talkback system - not great results here

Quote:
Originally Posted by table17 View Post
Firmware has helped with the distortion/level concerns. Fan noise still there. Hope a solution comes up for fan noise.

Suggestion, and maybe this is already possible: If AVID has the ability to allow us to utilize one of the other first 24 inputs with an external TB mic, and INCLUDE that input as 'switchable' when clicking the TB button, that would be a nice solution to have an external mic in use for TB.

That way, when we're using all 24 inputs, yeah, let's use the built in mic. However, when tracking smaller ensembles or individuals, allow us to toggle the TB system over to input 24 (in i/o settings or other setup page) and use an external mic for an intimate and better sounding TB mic.
Good idea!
Berkeley, CA
Old 02-10-2021, 04:25 AM

External mic would be THE solution!!
Old 02-10-2021, 04:59 AM

Even perhaps momentarily suspending the fan when the TB button is pushed would help.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 05-31-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by table17 View Post
The quality of the talkback system on my Carbon seems wayyy off, in a bad way. Does the talkback system sound "okay" to anyone else?

For me, the amount of cooling-fan noise from inside the Carbon makes the talkback nearly unusable. But worse, and with gain in Hardware Setup set to lowest setting of 0dB, the system is quick to distort. If I talk with any amount of extra volume in my voice, about 1 foot away from the unit, it's overdrive city.

I've tried to test this on the Carbon's internal headphone amps, also routed outputs to external headphone distribution amps. All results are sub-par, to say the least.
There's a Carbon here at the studio for testing. Talkback's really close to unusable. It's really bad. It's like trying to talk on a cell phone at 80mph on a bumpy road in a convertible. I do not know why talkback was implemented internally when the fan noise and rumble is an unavoidable part of the design. That space would have been much better served with S/PDIF I/O, which would have provided two more much needed inputs and a substantial improvement in versatility.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:36 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
There's a Carbon here at the studio for testing. Talkback's really close to unusable. It's really bad. It's like trying to talk on a cell phone at 80mph on a bumpy road in a convertible. I do not know why talkback was implemented internally when the fan noise and rumble is an unavoidable part of the design. That space would have been much better served with S/PDIF I/O, which would have provided two more much needed inputs and a substantial improvement in versatility.
Hey Matt,

Which version of Pro Tools are you running? The distorted talkback issue was resolved in the firmware update provided with 2021.3. If you're running 2021.3 (or 2021.3.1) and still getting talkback noise, do you hear fan noise coming from the unit itself?
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-31-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hey Matt,

Which version of Pro Tools are you running? The distorted talkback issue was resolved in the firmware update provided with 2021.3. If you're running 2021.3 (or 2021.3.1) and still getting talkback noise, do you hear fan noise coming from the unit itself?
Hi, Kyle. 2021.3. It's not distorted, but the fan noise and rumble is overwhelming. It really is next to unusable. Gain set to 35dB. Proximity is just over a meter from me in a vertical rack waist high to my right. Even out of the rack the fan runs 100% of the time, so it's always that way.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:30 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Hi, Kyle. 2021.3. It's not distorted, but the fan noise and rumble is overwhelming. It really is next to unusable. Gain set to 35dB. Proximity is just over a meter from me in a vertical rack waist high to my right. Even out of the rack the fan runs 100% of the time, so it's always that way.
Ok, I will request someone from Customer Support reach out to help with the fan issue. We have a firmware update in beta that I'd like you to try.
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-31-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Ok, I will request someone from Customer Support reach out to help with the fan issue. We have a firmware update in beta that I'd like you to try.
Cool, thanks.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:02 AM

Hello Kyle,

Could you set me on the beta list too?
My fan noise is always as maximum too since the beginning of using carbon.

Thanks, Niels

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk