Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2016, 05:12 PM

Default My Protools 12.6.1 with Sierra VS 12.5.2

Since I had no problems with Sierra update on Dec 2nd and was still running 12.5.2 with old prefs I figured, why not just update to 12.6.1 since I was winding down for the year?
Fortunately I had some days to mess with..

MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH 12.6.1 AND BOOTING UP MY MAC PRO TRASH CAN AFTER INSTALLING THE NEW HARDWARE DRIVER AND PROTOOLS APPLICATION 12.6.1!
spent the last two days on tech support calls with AVID, Apple and LaCie.
Keep in mind once I started using the application on either version, the both seem solid! This is about starting up and shutting down after 12.6.1 update.

The external drives I have to mount after the internal mac pro trash can HD starts up. Then I plug it in with the Thunderbolt cable. Did every diagnostic known to man with all the tech. Swapping cables etc. THE DEAL IS, is that when I was running 12.5.2 with Sierra for several days prior, it ran great and NO PROBLEMS with the rebooting of the mac and it not shutting down. SO there is something odd going on there. I reinstalled the Sierra OS using the internet restore with Apple Support and it seems to fix some issues with shut down. BTW ONCE it's up and running the Protools software 12.6.1 is working good! Also I delete the application manager which I find useless for me.

I also DID download the Protools installer from my Avid Account, which Avid recommends and NOT from Application Manager.

I may trash the protools prefs again, now that I just reinstalled the Sierra OS again. Just wanted to file my report and am good to go with just plugging in the External HD LacCie Thunderbolt drives after startup.

G

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 PM

Default Re: My Protools 12.6.1 with Sierra VS 12.5.2

This is complete speculation, but it might be worth considering what networking is running. Network calls can prevent computers shutting down. As you are using thunderbolt, even the hard drives can be mistaken as a network device. When I attached my firewire lacie via a thunderbolt adapter, I had all kinds of errors (system, not pro tools) until I turned firewire networking off in the system.

Unless you are using Avid's cloud services, try uninstalling that as well as the manager. I notice slightly less CPU issues without the cloud services (as there are less background tasks). In your case, it could be the cloud services are trying to dial home via the thunderbolt network, and that is preventing shutdowns and causing weirdness.

I really think Avid need to do a 2017 optimisation guide now that computers have so many more settings. The network and privacy permissions have all kinds of hidden effects on the system stability.
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 SC
Old 12-06-2016, 08:50 PM

I uninstalled both apps on my laptop just now. I'm thinking about putting on 12.6.1 my Cylinder Mac Pro. Thanks for the reminder. Are you guys experiencing the delay compensation error with Slate Trigger and when using a trigger input for a compressor? I have a couple of friends that have found that to be true.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
This is complete speculation, but it might be worth considering what networking is running. Network calls can prevent computers shutting down. As you are using thunderbolt, even the hard drives can be mistaken as a network device. When I attached my firewire lacie via a thunderbolt adapter, I had all kinds of errors (system, not pro tools) until I turned firewire networking off in the system.

Hi There! Thanks for your feedback-:) BTW No using a Thunderbolt adapter. They are Thunderbolt 2 Drives. no adapters.

Unless you are using Avid's cloud services, try uninstalling that as well as the manager. I notice slightly less CPU issues without the cloud services (as there are less background tasks). In your case, it could be the cloud services are trying to dial home via the thunderbolt network, and that is preventing shutdowns and causing weirdness.

I really think Avid need to do a 2017 optimisation guide now that computers have so many more settings. The network and privacy permissions have all kinds of hidden effects on the system stability.
The fact that I had absolutely NO issues thru months of work until I updated to 12.6.1 two days ago, sort of takes that out of the picture. Again ran Sierra with 12.5.2 without a hitch. I am going to proceed with the newest install of Sierra until something worse happens. As far as getting rid of cloud services, that is out of the question, since I am using that with my clients overseas who I am producing and that is there preferred contact with me. I have a complete clone of the previous Yosemite HD from a week ago and also can just revert back to 12.5.2 on this current system.

Also the drives are disconnected and still had some problems shutting the mac down, which I never had that problem ever.

Just a strange bit of sorted events. I'm sure someone will figure it out down the road.
Thanks for your feedback once again!

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-06-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post

Hi There! Thanks for your feedback-:) BTW Not using a Thunderbolt adapter. They are Thunderbolt 2 Drives. no adapters
The fact that I had absolutely NO issues thru months of work until I updated to 12.6.1 two days ago, sort of takes that out of the picture. Again ran Sierra with 12.5.2 without a hitch. I am going to proceed with the newest install of Sierra until something worse happens. As far as getting rid of cloud services, that is out of the question, since I am using that with my clients overseas who I am producing and that is there preferred contact with me. I have a complete clone of the previous Yosemite HD from a week ago and also can just revert back to 12.5.2 on this current system.

Also the drives are disconnected and still had some problems shutting the mac down, which I never had that problem ever.

Just a strange bit of sorted events. I'm sure someone will figure it out down the road.
Thanks for your feedback once again!

G
Old 12-08-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
I uninstalled both apps on my laptop just now. I'm thinking about putting on 12.6.1 my Cylinder Mac Pro. Thanks for the reminder. Are you guys experiencing the delay compensation error with Slate Trigger and when using a trigger input for a compressor? I have a couple of friends that have found that to be true.
Not sure. Taking a few days off after all the troubleshooting I had to do. I don't think so though. G
Old 12-24-2016, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Why so soon?

I am still having an issue with startup on my mac pro trash can with Sierra and after I updated to 12.6.1 . Not sure why. I am guessing there is something that happened with the software to cause it. Spent days reinstalling OS with Apple and reinstalling Protools with support online. NEVER have problems and all the previous updates up to 12.5.2 have been trouble free. I ended up going back to 12.5.3 from 12.6.1. It seems to be still happening. I wonder if something was broken in the Hardware Driver? Believe me, I replaced everything. I now unplug my external Thunderbolt HD's and also don't seem to have a problem without the Avid IO interface not turned on and the Thunderbolt box usually connected without an issue. I can reset Pram and it seems to fix it.
Very strange.. So wondered if that is an unmentioned resolved problem fixed in 12.7?

Last edited by jeffro; 12-24-2016 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Moved to related thread.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
I am still having an issue with startup on my mac pro trash can with Sierra and after I updated to 12.6.1 ... wondered if that is an unmentioned resolved problem fixed in 12.7?
Nothing stated in the 12.7 Release Notes. I have escalated your case to see if another tech can isolate the problem. Not sure if logs would be helpful (since it isn't a crash) but they might want those.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Nothing stated in the 12.7 Release Notes. I have escalated your case to see if another tech can isolate the problem. Not sure if logs would be helpful (since it isn't a crash) but they might want those.
It may be noted from a few weeks ago between my previous tech from the Manila. To be honest, he was a bit out of his depth..
Spent days trying to get back up and running. The program runs, but the starting up goes from being very quick like 10 sec. and 2min or longer. Then sometimes the external HD's don't show up and when I still unhook them, the internal HD was not showing up in Disk Utility as a mounted HD. Everything checks out perfectly. No bad directories etc.. I have not been doing much work, but did try a trick where I start the mac up as soon as I turn on the Avid IO, not waiting for like 10 sec like I usually do before starting the mac pro. Seems to help FYI.. I"ll try and grab a log the next time it happens. Where are those stored btw?
G
Old 12-28-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
It may be noted from a few weeks ago between my previous tech from the Manila. To be honest, he was a bit out of his depth..
Spent days trying to get back up and running. The program runs, but the starting up goes from being very quick like 10 sec. and 2min or longer. Then sometimes the external HD's don't show up and when I still unhook them, the internal HD was not showing up in Disk Utility as a mounted HD. Everything checks out perfectly. No bad directories etc.. I have not been doing much work, but did try a trick where I start the mac up as soon as I turn on the Avid IO, not waiting for like 10 sec like I usually do before starting the mac pro. Seems to help FYI.. I"ll try and grab a log the next time it happens. Where are those stored btw?
G
The latest. Had to take my Mac Pro Trash Can into Apple for service. Took most of the day to get in there, but was glad I had time to site and wait as a walk in appointment. I found out that they discovered the problems that I am having may be possibly hardware related. AppleCare will cover after the 2 days of more extensive testing is done. The slow startup may be a bad sector on the HD or something else. At least it happened when they were checking on it. 1st Generation.. of course on these MacPros. I will hopefully see the Mac back next week as it New Years coming up and they may need to order parts, but won't know definitively until tomorrow I am guessing. That's the latest!
Glad to at least know that I am not crazy..!
I have the same setup to the tee on an early 2011 MacBook Pro. No problem with that OS X or Protools with Sierra.
G