Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2014, 06:36 AM

Default AAF With Video?

Is anyone getting their picture Editor to send over video files with the AAF export from Media Composer?

I thought I might give it a try as I'm just starting a new project.
Having the cut points in the video timeline would be a big advantage for spotting atmos to scene boundaries.

Is there any disadvantages getting MXF media?
Are the file sizes massive, export time long from MC?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Default Re: AAF With Video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Is there any disadvantages getting MXF media?.
If organised properly I believe this is the best way. It has worked well here since MC 6 and PT9 (now MC8.x and PT11.) All my MC media is in DNxHD format (No AMA linked media)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Are the file sizes massive, export time long from MC?
I prefer to pass over a hard drive with a copy of all my Avid MediaFiles\MXF folder (I have this as a backup anyway) so the last 90 minute project was a fraction under 3TB's. This meant minimal time for the MC export.
The video Editor can also consolidate their cut to lower resolutions (DNxHD 36) and send you an AAF of the consolidated timeline (with handles) and send just that media. In this case the export time from MC will be the as fast as exporting a video.

Andrew
Old 09-10-2014, 02:08 AM

Default Re: AAF With Video?

Thanks for the tips Andrew.

I'll get them to do a short test and see how it goes, sounds like the way forward.