Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Is there a MAC for under $1500 that works w/ PTLE?

Is there a MAC for under $1500 that works w/ PTLE?

I'm considering a switch to computer based recording and was looking at PC's until someone told me that MACs have much greater long-term reliability. But then my dilema is, can I get a newer MAC that works well with PTLE for under $1500? If so please specify which system in detail. I'm not much of a computer guy so this will go a long way with me. Thanks.

PS: the interface will be Digi 002rack, if that helps (total budget for the whole system is $3k)
Old 08-21-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Is there a MAC for under $1500 that works w/ PTLE?

Of course. The Mac Mini, eMac or Low-end iMac would all work fine. There's a link at the top of the forum called 'compatibility' - if you click on that you can see what computers are approved for use with PTLE interfaces.

Since you're on a budget, have you looked into the M-Audio interfaces with ProTools M-Powered software? You can save some money that way and get a more powerful computer, and the software is just as good and their firewire interfaces are better (IMHO) than the 002r. The only advantage the 002r has is the 4 mic pres as opposed to a maximum of 2 that you get with any of the M-Audio boxes.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:34 AM

Quote:
(IMHO) The only advantage the 002r has is the 4 mic pres as opposed to a maximum of 2 that you get with any of the M-Audio boxes.
Unless you actually take the time to listen to the interfaces.
If you listen there is a difference in the sound quality, don't be fooled.
If budget is controlled then go refurbed, there are always good deals on refurbed units at the Apple store.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Like I said, it is my opinion, but having spent significant time with both varieties, I definitely recommend the M-Audio boxes over the 002's. Do you really think I would have said that if I hadn't taken the time to compare them? There may be a very slight difference in sound quality, but not enough to make either unit sound unprofessional - although a tiny bit colored, I prefer the sound of the FW1814 over the 002 as it has more warmth and airiness to it's pres whereas the 002 is a bit more cold and 'digital' sounding, for lack of a better word. The 002s converters are probably a touch better, but not enough to make a significant difference, especially using those mic pres.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:05 AM

Thanks to both of you. I have a few outboard pre's and know how intense comparing them can be.

One more question: If my computer budget was $2000 would that allow a serious upgrade on a $1500 Mac or not much difference? This will be my first Mac so anything helps. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 AM

We may be sliding off topic here, but anyway. :P I didn't think you could open PTLE projects on PT M-powered systems, only vice versa? Or am I totally wrong on this one? This may also be a contributing factor to some who want to work on different systems.

Anyway, it's too late for me, I just returned my Mbox for an upgrade and will be recieving my 002r tomorrow! *happy*
---
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 8 GB RAM | 192 I/O | HD2 Accel | UAD2 Duo | Mac OS 10.6.4 | Pro Tools HD 9.02 | HEAT | UAD Plugins 5.4.1 | Novation Automap 3.0
NI Komplete 6 with Kontakt 4.0 + libraries: | L.A. Scoring Strings | Symphobia | True Strike 1 + 2 | Galaxy II | Scarbee K.G.B.
SoundToys Native 3.1.1 | Waves Ren. Maxx TDM 7.1 | Melodyne Plugin 1.0.4 | Superior Drummer 2.2.1 | Addictive Drums 1.5.1 | Ampeg SVX 1.1.3

Old 08-22-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Like I said, it is my opinion, but having spent significant time with both varieties, I definitely recommend the M-Audio boxes over the 002's. Do you really think I would have said that if I hadn't taken the time to compare them? There may be a very slight difference in sound quality, but not enough to make either unit sound unprofessional - although a tiny bit colored, I prefer the sound of the FW1814 over the 002 as it has more warmth and airiness to it's pres whereas the 002 is a bit more cold and 'digital' sounding, for lack of a better word. The 002s converters are probably a touch better, but not enough to make a significant difference, especially using those mic pres.
As you said just your opinion.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 PM

I spoke to someone who uses ProTools and he advised the only way to go is with a Dual 2Ghz G5 - which would be $2k. I can push the budget to $2k but I'd need the entire computer system for that amount (moniter, keyboard, mouse, cables). Is it possible to get a full Dual 2Ghz G5 system for $2k? Will it really make a big difference over a G5 iMac?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I didn't think you could open PTLE projects on PT M-powered systems, only vice versa? Or am I totally wrong on this one?
That is incorrect, the sessions are completely interchangable.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I spoke to someone who uses ProTools and he advised the only way to go is with a Dual 2Ghz G5 - which would be $2k. I can push the budget to $2k but I'd need the entire computer system for that amount (moniter, keyboard, mouse, cables). Is it possible to get a full Dual 2Ghz G5 system for $2k? Will it really make a big difference over a G5 iMac?
Yes, it will make a difference, especially considering the G5 iMac noise issues that have been sprouting up. Are you a student? You can get a small discount on your Mac if you are, or if you know someone who is. You should be able to find a cheap used CRT monitor for less than $100 on craigslist (depending where you live), and the keyboard & mouse are included with the G5, so if you get the student discount and a used monitor you could potentially come in under $2k, it just depends on how much work you're willing to do to save a few bucks.