Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2021, 10:06 AM

Default Question re Carbon and Using Two DAWS...

When browsing and gathering info on Carbon up here, I read something about the idea that since Carbon will show up as two interfaces, one for PT and one general "system" type core audio device, that people can use ....say..Cubase...and somehow send audio from Cubase into PT.

Does anyone know where I can find out how this is done? Are Cubase (or Logic, etc) and PT somehow in sync when this is done? I've never used two DAWS at once but I could see doing midi in Cubase but using PT for any live mic stuff and for the mix, while doing the VI lifting in Cubase.

Thanks much
Tom
Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Question re Carbon and Using Two DAWS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
When browsing and gathering info on Carbon up here, I read something about the idea that since Carbon will show up as two interfaces, one for PT and one general "system" type core audio device, that people can use ....say..Cubase...and somehow send audio from Cubase into PT.

Does anyone know where I can find out how this is done? Are Cubase (or Logic, etc) and PT somehow in sync when this is done? I've never used two DAWS at once but I could see doing midi in Cubase but using PT for any live mic stuff and for the mix, while doing the VI lifting in Cubase.

Thanks much
Tom
Tom, I had previously I had asked the same question here . But did not really get a specific answer . Except that in a discussion on another forum someone said they were able to Set the Carbons main outputs for both PT and Logic and were apparently able to play a PT session listening to that PT session , and was able to also play a VI instrument in Logic and hear that also ??
So I don't know if that will get you where you want to go ?

Here is what he said :
Quote:
"Both Carbon profiles show up in Sound Prefs and Audio/MIDI set-up as you stated, so in Logic preferences I simply select Carbon Out 1-2 (MONITOR L-R) and in Pro Tools I/O I map the stereo out 1-2 to Carbon Out 1-2 (MONITOR L-R). Then when I'm playing back my Pro Tools session, I just bring the Logic window to the front and select a channel with Alchemy instantiated on it so I can play the Logic instrument along with the PT track. There isn't any cross patching between the apps without physically patching one's output to the other's input, but for monitoring Logic instruments on top of Pro Tools tracks it works great"
It's not clear to me exactly what he means by cross patching without physically patching ones output to the others input ??

I am out of town and will not be back to my studio until next week but will give it a try then with Studio One and PT:::
So If I am understanding your question ::: I would set up a VI in S 1 and then see if I can route it into a track in a PT session and have its audio play through that PT Track ??

I do know with my Carbon I can have both Studio One and Pro Tools open at the same time and go back and forth between them by clicking on one or the other to bring it to the front.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 05-04-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Question re Carbon and Using Two DAWS...

Thanks! Yeah that would be the idea, route the VI track out of Cubase/Logic to PT if possible. I mean I can always bounce to audio then export audio into PT I guess.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Carbon just because I'm SO SICK of other mixer layers....UAD, the Steinberg, the Antelope Zen Tour, etc. I just want to PRESS RECORD for heaven's sake lol

Thanks much!
Tom