Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-13-2010, 03:07 PM

Default I pass by the Daly City office quite often....

Hi,

I pass by the offices on Junipero Serra Blvd. quite often, can I bring my system in and get it optimized and working good? come on guys, that would be take customer service to a whole new level!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Default Re: I pass by the Daly City office quite often....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strebor24 View Post
Hi,

I pass by the offices on Junipero Serra Blvd. quite often, can I bring my system in and get it optimized and working good? come on guys, that would be take customer service to a whole new level!

Yeah... just like how I can take my Mac right to Apple HQ to get it "optimized." Or my PC to Microsoft to get it... softed.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-13-2010, 03:53 PM

well at least Mac has the Mac stores with their experts!

I think AVID could consider setting up customer service centers (perhaps in a store that sells their gear). After all, if PT9 takes off like they hope they have opened themselves up to a whole new customer base who are going to be using all kinds of interfaces and gear and with ProTools long history of having major issues unless things are 'not quite perfect' they might end up really shooting themselves in the foot!

Lots of other DAW software has proven to be extremely robust over the years with in all kids of environments.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:56 PM

There are plenty of knowledgeable retailers out there(sadly, there are several without a clue as well). Buying from one of those places(like sweetwater or GC Pro) might be a smart move for those that are not enthused about digging into the inner workings of computers

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-13-2010, 05:49 PM

Yeah, that is true, but ironically wasn't Pro Tools first designed to run on Macs? isn't that a platform with an OS that is basically closed off to it's user!

....and therefore users really didn't need to understand the inner workings of computers just the software and how to hook stuff up.

....with the advances in computing in the 21st century we shouldn't have to know how to write code (which is mostly written by software programs anyway) and build computers to use a DAW interface. Other software manufacturers hae actually shown that programs can be written that are robust enough to survive all kinds of torture (and user abuse) and be run with all kinds of gear and still work!

I doubt that PT9 will survive in the open architecture word as Reaper, Sonar, Cubase, Live etc. have been able to for so many years.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strebor24 View Post
Yeah, that is true, but ironically wasn't Pro Tools first designed to run on Macs? isn't that a platform with an OS that is basically closed off to it's user!

....and therefore users really didn't need to understand the inner workings of computers just the software and how to hook stuff up.

....with the advances in computing in the 21st century we shouldn't have to know how to write code (which is mostly written by software programs anyway) and build computers to use a DAW interface. Other software manufacturers hae actually shown that programs can be written that are robust enough to survive all kinds of torture (and user abuse) and be run with all kinds of gear and still work!

I doubt that PT9 will survive in the open architecture word as Reaper, Sonar, Cubase, Live etc. have been able to for so many years.
OSX isn't closed off to users. At least, it isn't any more closed than Windows.

I disagree that one shouldn't have to know about computers to run a DAW. One should know about computers to run a computer. Especially sound engineers. It seems these days that everyone wants to take the "engineer" out of sound engineering. One click, one software, one computer, everything out of the box with every feature we could ever want with no bugs or issues.

It's never going to happen, and I would never want it to happen. Sound engineering should be challenging. There isn't any other type of engineer in the world who has it this easy, and yet we want it to be easier.

Let's go back to cutting tape and manually moving faders!

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I spent years in Mac OS 9 tweaking Extensions Manager and Conflict Catcher to get lots of Mac apps to run. I doubt that I'm alone in this.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:59 PM

We now work in software/computer land. We all need a basic understanding of computers and the software running on them, the possible issues and any avenues available for fixing them. It's like in the tape days when even those of us who weren't engineers still had to know how and when to clean the heads and the capstan and how to fix carts when the graphite or pads disappeared or the retaining bar went missing in action.

Yeah, I'm old, make something of it.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
We now work in software/computer land. We all need a basic understanding of computers and the software running on them, the possible issues and any avenues available for fixing them. It's like in the tape days when even those of us who weren't engineers still had to know how and when to clean the heads and the capstan and how to fix carts when the graphite or pads disappeared or the retaining bar went missing in action.

Yeah, I'm old, make something of it.

Cheers,
I would, but I'm too damn OLD and TIRED. Face it kids, some of us are older and sneakier

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
. It's like in the tape days when even those of us who weren't engineers still had to know how and when to clean the heads and the capstan and how to fix carts when the graphite or pads disappeared or the retaining bar went missing in action.

Cheers,
Or a degauser, or how about the "Tentelometer" I had for my Ampex MM1200 to adjust tape tension? Oh my, do I NOT miss that.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television