Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 01-25-2005, 11:56 AM

Default weird master fader issues...

just recently i noticed on a project i was working on, certain channels were bypassing the master faders' plugins i had in place. this is way weird on a TDM system, when i've never seen this at home on my LE system. example: all channels are set to analog 1-2 out, i have an L1 limiter on the master fader. as i pull down the out ceiling level on the L1, certain channels with transients remained at the same peak level in the master fader meters, yet i could audibly hear the voice over and other effects levels coming down with the L1 adjustment and also see them respond lighter on the master fader meter around the transient hits. if i created a stereo aux track, set all of the track outputs to bus 1-2, feed them the the aux tracks inputs and then out analog 1-2, the L1 limiter placed on the stereo aux track respond as it should - nothing was getting past the limiter including the transient hits. it really is like some tracks are feeding the L1 in the master fader channel, and some are going right past it.

it almost seems to me lime some sort of weird sfotware glitch, unless i am completely missing something or changed some bizzarre preference i didn't know about. any ideas?

PT 5.3.3 on a PC, HD system, Pro Control and Edit Pack

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 01-27-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: weird master fader issues...

There's an issue with plugins (RTAS?) working only on Aux tracks or something like that. I don't remember how it goes, but here's one answerbase link that might be an answer:
http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cfm?DID=4572
Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 AM

thanks for the link, steve...unfortunately all of the plugins in use on my system where these problems are occuring are TDM based.

Ken P.

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 01-28-2005, 10:05 AM

Can you email me a copy of the session file (without any audio) so I can see the session routing? Which version of Waves are you running? Any reason you're not using 6.4 with ADC for mixing (it'll change your life )

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-28-2005, 03:13 PM

Hi All,
Also, I think it's the same in TDM and LE. the master fader is pre inserts. On all other channels, the fader is post inserts. So, if your hitting the limiter hard and pull the master fader down, what you're actually doing is hitting the limiter less not attenuating the output of the limiter. Hope this helps.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-29-2005, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Can you email me a copy of the session file (without any audio) so I can see the session routing? Which version of Waves are you running? Any reason you're not using 6.4 with ADC for mixing (it'll change your life )

Rail
Thanks Rail, i will send you a copy first thing monday morning when i am back at work. it is waves 4.0 TDM gold pack. we built a new 2nd room a few years back and when we put the order in to the IT Dept for our PC, they gave us the wrong computer ("oh yea this should be fine for what yer doin"...sorry, NOT), and unfortunately i am stuck with it. i've had problems with an install i did of 6.1 where our pro control and edit pack would drop out and the computer would freeze up completely. i am on 5.3.3 because 1) it's the only version i have that is completely stable on my setup and 2) there is no way they will pay for an upgrade. i would just pay for it myself if i knew it would work for sure. i saw there was a version of 6.2 with a cs fix that looked like it may relieve my troubles, i am trying to get a copy of that at least. maybe digi will let me try out a 6.4 upgrade to make sure it will work on my system? it's a long shot, but we'll see...

this waves problem just cropped up recently. i never touch the master fader, pretty much it is always at unity. as far as i can tell all of my i/o routings are correct, but maybe you can spot something.

here is my PT setup:
Sync I/O
192 I/O
HD Core
Pro Control
Edit Pack
PT 5.3.3
2.53 GHz Dell, 512 Ram

(i should also note that i have 2 PC's with a KVM switch. the Dell above is strictly XP Service Pack 1 and PT only, the other is email, internet, fx library, etc.)

i do audio post for video, radio spots and corporate training stuff with this setup, so my sessions are not reall intensive.

Ken P.