How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-05-2021, 12:17 AM

Default Re: cmon Avid, it's time for hardware insert bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
I would also love a real bypass. when deactivating the I/O the audio interrupts a short time.
IMO a real bypass needs 1 more track (in track counts) because if you bypass the Hardware signal path is still there but not using.
I think this is the only reason why its not there. but now we have enough tracks in PT to do this.
It would still screw latency compensation. If you really want to do it, you need to duplicate your track and have two versions (with and without hardware insert) and then use mutes to switch between the two versions.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:15 AM

c'mon guys, it is very doable and not rocket science... Logic allows hardware inserts, pings for latency and works perfectly when bypassing and auditioning hardware using AVID HDX as the interface. it is not impossible, clearly can be implemented without screwing latency in live mode and doesnt require a mixer rebuild. It is simply a matter of it becoming an item on the list to get to... personally it is a great feature that would be nice to have high on the list for updates.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syMPh View Post
c'mon guys, it is very doable and not rocket science... Logic allows hardware inserts, pings for latency and works perfectly when bypassing and auditioning hardware using AVID HDX as the interface. it is not impossible, clearly can be implemented without screwing latency in live mode and doesnt require a mixer rebuild. It is simply a matter of it becoming an item on the list to get to... personally it is a great feature that would be nice to have high on the list for updates.
I don't know how Logic beats the laws of physics, but you cannot have it all in theory. IF you have i/o latency compensation on, you need to either accept a short click in a playback or screwed latency compensation. Workaround would be to virtually or visibly create another track that does not have hardware insert, then switch between the two. Obviously consuming double the resources, which is exactly the opposite of what hardware insert is trying to do.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:26 AM

for that short click you simply program a few ms of mute silence which has fast auto fades in them for bypass clicks... ... so fast you hardly notice the silence.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syMPh View Post
for that short click you simply program a few ms of mute silence which has fast auto fades in them for bypass clicks... ... so fast you hardly notice the silence.
These are the same people who complain about latency of 128 samples compared to 64 samples. It means a difference of 1.33ms at 48kHz so guys please just decide whether few millisecond is a lot or a little. If it is okay to add few milliseconds then 256 buffer is also okay.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:07 AM

I must agree that having hardware bypass would be fantastic. Often times I wish to bypass a whole chain of plugins by using the CTRL modifier to see what is happening, and it is always the hardware insert that will stay active.

This must absolutely be possible, even if it means sacrificing a voice or two under the hood, which I am not concerned about..

Dare I add that it would be even more fantastic if the hardware I/O plugin would report input / output clipping by simple means of turning red when overs occur?
Old 08-05-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
Dare I add that it would be even more fantastic if the hardware I/O plugin would report input / output clipping by simple means of turning red when overs occur?
This is a good idea.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
These are the same people who complain about latency of 128 samples compared to 64 samples. It means a difference of 1.33ms at 48kHz so guys please just decide whether few millisecond is a lot or a little. If it is okay to add few milliseconds then 256 buffer is also okay.
Dunno of any professional producers and studios who could track at anything higher than 64 buffer size as it adds a latency ”delay” in the headphones and screws with the artists vocal. Guitars ….lets not even go there.
I see you say you work at 128/256 but for a pro setup outfit thats unaccdptable!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-05-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Dunno of any professional producers and studios who could track at anything higher than 64 buffer size as it adds a latency ”delay” in the headphones and screws with the artists vocal. Guitars ….lets not even go there.
I see you say you work at 128/256 but for a pro setup outfit thats unaccdptable!
Maybe you know many professionals who have TDM systems with +350 samples worth of plugin sample delay on their session then? It is pretty normal to have "lightning fast" TDM system that has +350 sample latency. Dunno, maybe hardware latency has different milliseconds than software latency.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Maybe you know many professionals who have TDM systems with +350 samples worth of plugin sample delay on their session then? It is pretty normal to have "lightning fast" TDM system that has +350 sample latency. Dunno, maybe hardware latency has different milliseconds than software latency.
No clue but can take us as an example and we can hear the ”latency” at 128 sowe track at 64 with great success!

Feels like you think bombarding people with numbers left and right somehow proves your point but in real studios, not the type you work in there is a level of need and high buffer settings is not there period!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————