Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2013, 06:01 AM

Default Have 3rd party AAX plugins stopped working in PT 10.3.5?

hi,

they only 3rd party AAX plugin that i have is nomad factory's MAGMA which doesn't work anymore with 10.3.5.

i had to start using the RTAS version.

has anyone else seen 3rd party AAX's stop working with 10.3.5?

marco
Old 05-05-2013, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Have 3rd party AAX plugins stopped working in PT 10.3.5?

There is a problem with the pace signatures. Even if your plug does not use ilok, they need a signature for Pro Tools 10.3.5 and Pro Tools 11, some signatures are not functioning correctly!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 AM

ok, thanks. so who fixes the signatures? avid or the developer?

regards,
marco
Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Min View Post
There is a problem with the pace signatures. Even if your plug does not use ilok, they need a signature for Pro Tools 10.3.5 and Pro Tools 11, some signatures are not functioning correctly!
And you come by this info how? What is a signature anyway - some kind of authorization? Daw updates have nothing to do with authorization of a plugin. If the plugin supports the format being used in the daw then that's usually enough. You don't get a different iLok asset for a plugin each time a daw updates. In other words if you update a daw you don't break the authorization for a third party plugin.

QAPLA!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And you come by this info how? What is a signature anyway - some kind of authorization? Daw updates have nothing to do with authorization of a plugin. If the plugin supports the format being used in the daw then that's usually enough. You don't get a different iLok asset for a plugin each time a daw updates. In other words if you update a daw you don't break the authorization for a third party plugin.
Sorry, Jack, but you're off on this one...

A DAW upgrade could very easily "break" the process.

NOTE: This is a very simplified explanation, not intended to fully explain or address every situation...

A signature is a means by which a piece of software can be recognized.

Let's say a plugin has a signature of 1234. The plugin itself would carry this signature, and the license for this plugin would also carry this signature.

The DAW software "sees" the plugin, notes the signature is 1234, then asks the iLok if it has a license for a plugin with the signature 1234. They iLok says, "Yep, I've got a license for 1234", the DAW says, "OK", and everything is just ducky.

But...

Suppose the DAW sees the 1234 plugin, but does a digital typo and asks iLok about a license for a 1235 plugin. Since iLok doesn't have a license for 1235, the DAW won't let the plugin run.

Of course, the whole thing is a lot more complicated than that, but that is just one example of how a sofware update could render a plugin useless...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM

So how do I get my plugin back?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 PM

Lightbulb Re: Have 3rd party AAX plugins stopped working in PT 10.3.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post
So how do I get my plugin back?
The quickest way would be to clean uninstall Pro Tools v10.3.5 and install v10.3.4.

The long term solution is to open a technical support case with the developer of the plug-in that is not working.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You can find all relative infos concerning this here...

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...37#post2036637

Also, P&M use a similar authorization method as Nomad Factory since Nomad helps prepare their installer.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Sorry, Jack, but you're off on this one...

A DAW upgrade could very easily "break" the process.

NOTE: This is a very simplified explanation, not intended to fully explain or address every situation...

A signature is a means by which a piece of software can be recognized.

Let's say a plugin has a signature of 1234. The plugin itself would carry this signature, and the license for this plugin would also carry this signature.

The DAW software "sees" the plugin, notes the signature is 1234, then asks the iLok if it has a license for a plugin with the signature 1234. They iLok says, "Yep, I've got a license for 1234", the DAW says, "OK", and everything is just ducky.

But...

Suppose the DAW sees the 1234 plugin, but does a digital typo and asks iLok about a license for a 1235 plugin. Since iLok doesn't have a license for 1235, the DAW won't let the plugin run.

Of course, the whole thing is a lot more complicated than that, but that is just one example of how a sofware update could render a plugin useless...
Thanks for the explanation; I've never run into such a situation. That being said it looks like Avid jumped the shark with 10.3.5

QAPLA!