Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM

Default Did I Give Eleven Rack Enough of A Chance?

I had Eleven Rack last year. Had it about two weeks. Sold it, got some other gear I needed.

I just thought all in all it sounded fizzy and thin. I couldn't get a CLEAN sound out of it to save my life. Everything had a gritty digital edge to it I just hated. I found a couple bluesy presets that were OK, but I don't do blues. Pop and country, and light alternate stuff, no metal.

But I've heard some demos that were pretty impressive. I've been playing forever, and have a lot of experience. I've also used the software version of Eleven with some good results, though nothing overwhelming. Frankly I use Guitar Rig most of the time for Marshall type things and it sounds fine, when I need those. For ABSOLUTE clean, I now use a live amp.

But I'm not on a TDM system, and I hate fighting latency, and having a hardware unit with knobs and integration with PT is pretty neat. So I'm thinking of giving it another shot, especially now that I'm hearing good things about the new Expansion pack. Are they actually NEWLY MODELLED amps or just tweaks of what was there?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
Old 04-12-2011, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Did I Give Eleven Rack Enough of A Chance?

NEW amps were added man. You can get great clean sounds out of some of the new amps.

Id demo one for you, but I dont play "absolute clean" ever, so Im sure someone who does will have the technique to demo you something with a clean amp properly.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
NEW amps were added man. You can get great clean sounds out of some of the new amps.

Id demo one for you, but I dont play "absolute clean" ever, so Im sure someone who does will have the technique to demo you something with a clean amp properly.
Not concerned with SUPER CLEAN any more, since now I have a great amp for that. More like the half dirty sounds you hear in country and pop all the time.

TH
Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
I had Eleven Rack last year. Had it about two weeks. Sold it, got some other gear I needed.

I just thought all in all it sounded fizzy and thin. I couldn't get a CLEAN sound out of it to save my life. Everything had a gritty digital edge to it I just hated. I found a couple bluesy presets that were OK, but I don't do blues. Pop and country, and light alternate stuff, no metal.

But I've heard some demos that were pretty impressive. I've been playing forever, and have a lot of experience. I've also used the software version of Eleven with some good results, though nothing overwhelming. Frankly I use Guitar Rig most of the time for Marshall type things and it sounds fine, when I need those. For ABSOLUTE clean, I now use a live amp.

But I'm not on a TDM system, and I hate fighting latency, and having a hardware unit with knobs and integration with PT is pretty neat. So I'm thinking of giving it another shot, especially now that I'm hearing good things about the new Expansion pack. Are they actually NEWLY MODELLED amps or just tweaks of what was there?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
If you didn't like it back then, I don't think you'll like it any better now.....It's better then when it came out only due to the new amp choices & FX, but I liked & still do like ALL the original amps & FX...

You gave it a whole 2-weeks too..........

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
I was actually in much the same boat as you, not exactly mind, but, I was really after a 'ultra' clean sound for my live gigs in a Church setting, and I spent a lot of time trying to tweak out a lot of the harshness in the Fender amps. Now it could've been due to the Active pickups, that is, the EMG707's I have installed in the majority of my guitars. But, I could get a very good clean out of my Korg unit. Anyway, I was a little disappointed in the 11R on the clean front.

Now I am pleased to report that with the ERXP I don't have that problem anymore. What's more with the Dyn Delay, compressor, Para EQ and chorusing options I am in clean heaven. Sometimes I feel like the Edge from U2 . VaiSatchAttrucci made a vid with an mic'ed acoustic guitar, using Para EQ/compressor and it sounds "great", check it out on YouTube. I am as pleased as punch. But with everything just because the ERXP works for me doesn't mean that it will work out for you - individual results will vary. All I can say is I've been playing more since the ERXP came out than I thought possible - inspiration city.

And the new 3 Bogner Ecstacy, SOD and variac amp models are the bees knees - metal forever dude .

Anyway, I managed to find what I was looking for .
Old 04-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udamann88 View Post
If you didn't like it back then, I don't think you'll like it any better now.....It's better then when it came out only due to the new amp choices & FX, but I liked & still do like ALL the original amps & FX...

You gave it a whole 2-weeks too..........

Good luck!
Yeah. But I give a real amp about two minutes

TH
Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
I was actually in much the same boat as you, not exactly mind, but, I was really after a 'ultra' clean sound for my live gigs in a Church setting, and I spent a lot of time trying to tweak out a lot of the harshness in the Fender amps. Now it could've been due to the Active pickups, that is, the EMG707's I have installed in the majority of my guitars. But, I could get a very good clean out of my Korg unit. Anyway, I was a little disappointed in the 11R on the clean front.

Now I am pleased to report that with the ERXP I don't have that problem anymore. What's more with the Dyn Delay, compressor, Para EQ and chorusing options I am in clean heaven. Sometimes I feel like the Edge from U2 . VaiSatchAttrucci made a vid with an mic'ed acoustic guitar, using Para EQ/compressor and it sounds "great", check it out on YouTube. I am as pleased as punch. But with everything just because the ERXP works for me doesn't mean that it will work out for you - individual results will vary. All I can say is I've been playing more since the ERXP came out than I thought possible - inspiration city.

And the new 3 Bogner Ecstacy, SOD and variac amp models are the bees knees - metal forever dude .

Anyway, I managed to find what I was looking for .
Good to hear.

I did listen some tracks I did with it and they do sound pretty good. I think I remember thinking "This thing sounds way better in the track than by itself" LOL.

But the convenience, mama mia, I could use the convenience. I'm on deadlines weekly and have to have 5-6 tracks done each week and micing real amps is not an option, nor is spending 1600 for an AXE FX. And the HD500, which I haven't heard, is still a floor unit.

Eleven Rack is perfect in theory....

Hmmm

TH
Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah. But I give a real amp about two minutes

TH
All I'm trying to say is this......

Even though 2-weeks is not a lot of time in my book, it is enough time to know if it will end up working for you......

I didn't think that it was perfect right out of the box (nothing ever is), but I did realize that it was very special & had so much potential......

The new amps & FX are great, but if you didn't vibe w/ it like your saying then I don't think that you ever will..........

I think your crazy not to love this thing & should have never sold it off.........& it's even more fun now.....

So go buy another one & be a part of the best forum on the planet.......

again, good luck....
Old 04-12-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Good to hear.

I did listen some tracks I did with it and they do sound pretty good. I think I remember thinking "This thing sounds way better in the track than by itself" LOL.

But the convenience, mama mia, I could use the convenience. I'm on deadlines weekly and have to have 5-6 tracks done each week and micing real amps is not an option, nor is spending 1600 for an AXE FX. And the HD500, which I haven't heard, is still a floor unit.

Eleven Rack is perfect in theory....

Hmmm

TH
Then perhaps you would be interested in the new Desktop POD HD. It was introduced at the German trade show recently.

I personally wouldn't go near Line6, to me, it's akin to getting teeth pulled, but, some people use it with good results.

I can't believe I mentioned Line6 . Someone please call me a Tone Doctor stat!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Then perhaps you would be interested in the new Desktop POD HD. It was introduced at the German trade show recently.

I personally wouldn't go near Line6, to me, it's akin to getting teeth pulled, but, some people use it with good results.

I can't believe I mentioned Line6 . Someone please call me a Tone Doctor stat!!!
I didn't know there was a desktop model yet. Interesting.

I know the POD stuff I had once for about a day and sent it back.

But you know what? I've heard other people's recordings and actually asked them what amp they used and they've said "A Pod." So what do I know.

Also, some of the best guitar sounds I ever got were out of Line 6 AMP FARM. Go figure.

TH