Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2022, 06:32 AM

Default Re: HD Native discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
As far as I am aware, the only way to achieve video edge frame sync with tri-level lock is through a Sync HD or Sync X. Both rely on the same cable and RS422 protocol that 1990s Macintosh computers and printers used, and the 8-pin serial ports on HDN and HDX cards...

HDX and HDN are both very dated. I only keep using HDN because it is the cheapest way to access sync peripherals. As soon as that wraps up, it is bye bye Avid hardware for me. Stuff like the new DAD AX64 is just so much more feature rich.

It does feels like something is missing now in the Pro Tools product line up. Perhaps a TB expansion card for MTRX interfaces. Perhaps a new interface of some kind. Perhaps software changes that offer more flexibility with Tri-level sync... In any case, the price of a new Pro Tools system with edge frame sync just went up $5000.
Exactly.
Hopefully Avid will offer at some point a new audio interface oriented for video works - with abilities to do video edge frame sync with tri-level lock and AES/Digital outputs for ATMOS without requiring HDX- but I am not that optimistic...
Old 12-30-2022, 07:28 AM

I would be very surprised if there is not a new MTRX or MTRX Studio version announced in the coming weeks.

I have also heard that DAD will be coming out with a MTRX/MTRX Studio competitor soon as well. Finally, RME had to quit making their UFX+ and I am hopeful they also come out with something new and geared towards Dolby Atmos.
No interface (yet)
Old 12-30-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
If the HDX is outdated then the HDN (in all forms) would be worse. It would be the cut down version of an outdated card by your standard.
The MTRX units can operate independently of digilink (Dante being the obvious connection.) But, if you can afford an HDX card, then the additional cost for a thunderbolt chassis is minimal.
Dante alone (DVS) is not good enough and no sync. HDX1 is useless. I agree HDN is outdated but it was being used as a dongle to connect the MTRX units.

This confirms my initial disappointment when they introduced those using Digilink. They've now handicapped themselves. It's time for a truly native connection. WITH access to sync. I think I've been asking for that since PT9 so I'm starting to lose my voice.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:48 AM

The short answer is no, drift is not a major problem. Pro Tools video engine does a good job (even without video reference resolve) of realigning frames on playback.

MADI is one possible was to route digital audio between workstations or from Pro Tools – to a dedicated Dolby Atmos renderer for example.
SYNC X is an excellent master clock and video reference generator + positional reference peripheral. It’s a great solution for locking multiple Pro Tools workstations (re-recording), digital devices (reverbs and external converters), and various video devices together. It’s essential when using multiple Pro Tools Ultimate (HDX) systems locked together and especially those that need Satellite Link.

Besides your primary MTRX device, are there any other devices you need to resolve to the same clock? It's also depends on what your need in your current environment is.

Regarding the dedicated DAMS system… What are you unable to accomplish currently on your existing system?

Video peripherals can be handy, especially if you intend on splitting / multing the video signal to talent in a booth for ADR / etc, and also need to playback to a large projector in the room. How do you intend to display the video that you output from the attached peripheral?

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 12-30-2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
Not too worried about this news. HD Native never really worked. Problem child since its infancy. Guess they're happy to let this 'enfant terrible' die a silent but sudden death. They finally found their way out.
I have been rocking my HD Native, PCIe even!! For a good 6 years no problems

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 12-30-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Dante alone (DVS) is not good enough and no sync. HDX1 is useless. I agree HDN is outdated but it was being used as a dongle to connect the MTRX units.

This confirms my initial disappointment when they introduced those using Digilink. They've now handicapped themselves. It's time for a truly native connection. WITH access to sync. I think I've been asking for that since PT9 so I'm starting to lose my voice.
I use an MTRX with a Rednet PCIER card and get 128 channels of IO.
It is rock solid.

I still use HD1 for some things but mostly it is the MTRX as the monitor controller and routing brain and Rednet PCIER for the IO.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 12-30-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
As far as I am aware, the only way to achieve video edge frame sync with tri-level lock is through a Sync HD or Sync X. Both rely on the same cable and RS422 protocol that 1990s Macintosh computers and printers used, and the 8-pin serial ports on HDN and HDX cards...

HDX and HDN are both very dated. I only keep using HDN because it is the cheapest way to access sync peripherals. As soon as that wraps up, it is bye bye Avid hardware for me. Stuff like the new DAD AX64 is just so much more feature rich.

It does feels like something is missing now in the Pro Tools product line up. Perhaps a TB expansion card for MTRX interfaces. Perhaps a new interface of some kind. Perhaps software changes that offer more flexibility with Tri-level sync... In any case, the price of a new Pro Tools system with edge frame sync just went up $5000.
Fair enough.
I'm audio only, so was speaking from that persepctive.
YMMV of course.

Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 12-30-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
I use an MTRX with a Rednet PCIER card and get 128 channels of IO.
It is rock solid.

I still use HD1 for some things but mostly it is the MTRX as the monitor controller and routing brain and Rednet PCIER for the IO.
Cheers James that's good to know. I've seen your posts detailing your setup, it sounds awesome. The Focusrite Rednet line is great. That is a hardware Dante interface by a 3rd party though. So I'm just wondering aloud what Avid is going to tell customers they need to buy along with their MTRX / MTRX Studio.
Old 12-30-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Cheers James that's good to know. I've seen your posts detailing your setup, it sounds awesome. The Focusrite Rednet line is great. That is a hardware Dante interface by a 3rd party though. So I'm just wondering aloud what Avid is going to tell customers they need to buy along with their MTRX / MTRX Studio.
I guess the official line is 'MTRX or MTRX Studio with HDX'.
I agree it would be great to see a solution that is direct connection.

I've preordered the DAD AX64 which will replace the Rednet card (I'm moving to a Mac Studio Ultra and the Rednet card won't work with M1's). It does all that I want in a native interface, with one exception- the lack of AES, but you can (and I have) get an option card.

My current intention is to integrate the MTRX and HDX into that system with the AX64 being the master, mostly because I have quite a bit of IO (24 channels of analogue conversion, 16 channels of AES, 128 channels of Dante) in the MTRX that will seamlessly integrate.

The reason I mention this- I do wonder if Avid are going to do with the AX64 what they did with the AX32?
That would make a lot of sense.

An 'MTRX 64' with Thunderbolt AND Digilink, 256 channels of Dante onboard, SPQ and Pro Mon.
Yes, thank you.

I have no info at all of course, this is pure speculation.

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 01-01-2023, 01:10 PM

At IBC Amsterdam in September I heard that the MTRX Studio get an option to upgrade with a TB3 connector. There's room for it, but won't be cheap..

I guess a TB3 card for the MTRX will follow this narrative?