Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-23-2010, 06:38 AM

Default Best Replacement Motherboard For Quad Core Q6600 Build?

I have come to the conclusion that my motherboard (Asus P5K-E WiFi Open Box from New Egg - Could be the reason) has to be the culprit of all of my Desktop Pro-Tools woes (have been doing most sessions on my laptop as of late), and wanted to inquire about which motherboard (if not the same, but working) would be the BEST choice for PT 8.0.1. Of course I am and will be running XP SP3.

All I want to do is replace the motherboard and RAM (Currently using 667MHz DDR2, it was suggested I go for the 1066MHz minimum). Nothing else. I do not wish to upgrade to an i7 yet (too expensive for the system I'd want). Which suggestions do you have?

1) Asus P5Q
2) Asus P5Q Turbo
3) Asus P5K-E
4) Asus P5K-E-Wifi (as a direct replacement)
5) Something else?

I know I will get flack for this, but I want to build a system which will allow me to do whatever I want AND run Pro-Tools. Many of you claimed to have Asus systems with you having EVERYTHING ENABLED and still running PT into the ground WITHOUT errors (my ancient Asus P4B533 was able to run 6.1 with everything enabled without issue).

Looking for your suggestions thanks. Wifi is essential for me. Would you all suggest getting another working Asus P5K Wifi? I will not even look at an i7 system until I am able to afford outfitting it with SSDs only.

Background - Purchased an Asus P5K Wifi In September Of 2008. This system was NEVER stable. I had what I think were two SATA ports blow out (nothing connected to them would ever be recognized by the BIOS). With PT installed, there would be tons of CPU Spikes, Errors, even with only the stock plug ins installed. I disabled all networking devices, onboard audio, onboard firewire, updated to the latest drivers, adjusted RAM timings updated the BIOS with no accord. My PSU is an Antec 550W. After two years of tinkering with this system and never being able to get through a full session, it would have to be nothing else BUT the motherboard.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Best Replacement Motherboard For Quad Core Q6600 Build?

I currently run 2 systems - one with P5Q-E and one with P5k SE/EPU.

Both run great, although I did have to get the P5K RMA'd once.

I followed Sunburst's setup tweaks from 1st page of the original Best core 2 thread, and have been moving strong ever since.

Hope that helps,
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 AM

How is your P5Q system? I've come across a few brand new P5Q Pro Turbo motherboards for less than $150
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 01-23-2010, 11:16 AM

I'm loving my ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo! No problems with my system. Mind you, I use a special hardware profile for PT. Every time I install something non-PT related, I make sure to do it under the main hardware profile, and then I restart into the PT profile, run msconfig, and make sure it didn't add anything new to it. If it did, I uncheck it. That keeps PT running with no errors and tons of mix power.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 01-23-2010, 11:23 AM

Hi. Thanks for chiming in. Can you share what you've done for your special hardware profile for your Asus P5Q? I would assume that without your Special Hardware Profile, you would run into a ton of PT errors?

I have some X-Mas Gift Card money from Amazon and could actually purchase this board for $0!

Last question. Which software do you also have which require you to use the Main Hardware profile? Do you have a WiFi card on this machine? According to the Specs, no modem or WiFi is included on the P5Q Turbo. I would like for my machine to have both Wifi and Bluetooth as my laptop does have both and I run PT on that w/o problems (even with 120 processes running in the background).
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 01-23-2010, 11:55 AM

I run the P5Q Deluxe, with PT 8.0.3/4b and W7... I use the T.I. firewire controller. WiFi and blue tooth do cause issues for most, so glad you got lucky.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-23-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epu View Post
I have some X-Mas Gift Card money from Amazon and could actually purchase this board for $0!
Sweet!

It's my main home desktop, so it's internet connected, and I use it for skype, gaming (various Id and Blizzard games, and such), graphic design, office programs, the whole ball of wax.

No wifi on the desktop itself - my DSL router connects directly to it by ethernet, and my wifi devices connect through the router. If I needed to connect it via wifi or bluetooth, I suppose I'd buy a USB transmitter/receiver. But I'd probably disable that device in the PT hardware profile if at all possible.

I do everything except audio work in the Main profile. For that, I leave everything checked.

For the PT profile, I simply follow digi's instructions in the General Troubleshooting sticky and the docs it links to. In short, uncheck everything in every tab of msconfig except what PT needs to breathe. If I don't, I'm susceptible to a lethal case of Play/Pause Plague, and/or to Hardware Buffer ping-pong (where it tells you to lower your H/WB setting, so you do, then it tells you to raise it, so you do, then it tells you to lower it...). There are probably things I could leave checked, but why play with fire? It's rock-solid, and why mess with a good thing?

Some people get away with running wifi/bluetooth on a laptop with PT. But do a D-verb test with and without. I bet you'll find you're costing yourself a lot of mix power. If you don't need the power, who cares, right? But it's good to know what your options are.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 01-23-2010, 11:59 AM

Thanks Tom. Can you share (if its not too much) your hardware settings, or at least which RAM you've purchased to go along with your P5Q? Did you set specific RAM timings as many have suggested here?

If anyone IS using Wifi and Bluetooth with their P5Q, I'd love to know.

For Daeron. Okay, you didn't mean Hardware Profile in the BIOS, but in the SYSTEM DIALOG/Hardware Profile Tab correct? Thanks for sharing that information! If you're able to do all that you say using this Motherboard, then I will do a little more research and most likely purchase it for $0! Thanks!
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 01-24-2010, 05:00 PM

BEAR IN MIND that a new motherboard, with a different chipset that was in place when WINDOWS was installed, will necessiatae a complete Windows re-installation.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:34 PM

OF course. I have my P5K going with EVERY SINGLE tweak mentioned. Really cannot use this machine for anything but PT otherwise it is errors galore. Still my Dual Core Laptop seems a little more powerful than the Quad Core (more VIs) which makes little sense.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core