Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-26-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Tape machine with 002

I'm trying to mixdown to a Studer A810 2-track tape machine with Pro Tools LE before mastering...will there be any playback speed issues? which speed should I use on the Studer? Thank you!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Tape machine with 002

Typically the faster the tape speed, the better the recording quality.

What speed can your mastering engineer work with? He/she should be the main deciding factor in the format (speed) of the tape.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:51 PM

15 ips either 1/4" or 1/2" is the sound of rock 'n roll !!

30ips will give you less bass response.

is your machine clean and calibrated?

for sending to mastering you need to clearly mark the box :

Format and speed (eg 1/2-track 15ips, Tail out)
1k, 10k, 100Hz, 50Hz is the minimum. In that order. You can also add 15k, and a channel check where the 1k starts in the left channel only. The 15k is used for fine azimuth adjustment and potentially to set the head loading for flat response at 10k and 15k
OVU Ref level.
NAB or IEC/CCIR EQ used.
NR type used, if any (We have it all from Dolby A, B, C, SR, DBX 1 & 2, Telcom C4 & HiCom).
Dolby tones if applicable!
Machine type and date.
Track listing.
Engineer's contact details.
Any mastering notes.
Leader between the tones (at tail) and the songs if you can.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 06-26-2006, 02:06 PM

I ordered it from filmco in Canada, so I'm pretty sure it's been calibrated. It's 1/4'' and for the most part the bands I record won't spring the extra cash for mastering, so I'll mix it to tape then back into PT to do my psuedo-mastering. If I'm just running mixes to the tape for the sound, can I reuse the same tape multiple times? They gave me some Quantegy tape...
Old 06-26-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I ordered it from filmco in Canada, so I'm pretty sure it's been calibrated...
i wouldn't assume that. did they say it was clean and calibrated?? if it is used, then i doubt they bought it, put test tapes on it and adjusted the azimuth and zenith and phase etc... but maybe they did.

i bought a machine from Minnesota Public Radio. you'd think it would be clean and aligned. it was OUT OF WHACK!!

do yourself a favor, find a tech in your area who can set the machine up for you. it is not that expensive. you will also need to calibrate to the Quantegy. GP9?
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 06-26-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I ordered it from filmco in Canada, so I'm pretty sure it's been calibrated. It's 1/4'' and for the most part the bands I record won't spring the extra cash for mastering, so I'll mix it to tape then back into PT to do my psuedo-mastering. If I'm just running mixes to the tape for the sound, can I reuse the same tape multiple times? They gave me some Quantegy tape...
I think you should do some reading before committing anyone's masters to tape. sounds to me like you know just enough to get yourself in trouble. you don't really want to reuse the tape. That is your master!!! I don't care if you transfer it into protools at 192K through apogee's....that's your master.

If you don't know much about refrence levels and how hard to hit a tape, I would really recommend against printing your master to 1/4". IMHO, hitting the input transformers of the machine will get you a thicker sound (what is it about iron and music that's synergistic?) Just using the machine as a sort of "bus compressor" makes for some nice polish on a good mix.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:36 PM

For the best performance, analog tape decks need constant alignment, cleaning and maintenance. That's one reason why digital recording caught on so fast.

In your situation, doing your own mastering, it sounds like your plan is to just use the tape deck as an effect for a bit of sonic degradation (i.e. rounding off the edges of the sound). In that case, if you like the way it sounds, you're all set. If you're playing it back on the same machine, using the convertors in the 002, and re-using tape so that nothing is archived for the future, things are probably not as critical to you. Have fun with it.

Lee Blaske
Old 06-29-2006, 10:48 AM

Does anyone know of any techs around the Central Valley/Bay Area? I live in Modesto, which is about half way between Sacramento and San Francisco. Thank you for alll the help, guys